Joel Christian 8/7/10 and Micah James 8/8/10

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2010 Birth Stories LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
August 17th, 2010, 01:03 PM
erleigh's Avatar Super Mommy
I went to my weekly OB appointment on Thursday Aug 5. I woke up that morning with horrible heartburn and nausea that nothing would help and I was READY to be induced. My OB said she would induce me at almost 39 weeks, which another 2 weeks. I came home and cried off and on the rest of the day because I was SO miserable. I had contractions every 5 minutes that night but they never got stronger/longer and were gone by morning.

Saturday morning I woke up with that awful heartburn again and threw up from it. I laid around in bed all day and knew I was having contractions but the back pain & heartburn were so bad that I couldn't time them. I didn't think they were very close though. Around 2 or 3 in the afternoon, I took my blood pressure and it was up. I've had great blood pressure my whole pregnancy so that's unusual. After the 2nd high reading, I called L&D and they said I should come in. I didn't think I had pre eclampsia or that I was in labor but in my crazy miserable state, I thought I could trick them into thinking that and get them to induce me. Ha!

We got to L&D and they hooked me up (contractions every 2-3 minutes) and took my BP (high) and took blood and sure enough, I was in labor and I did have pre eclampsia. I was 4 cm and 80% for a couple of hours so they started pitocin and gave me an epidural. This was my first time having an epidural that worked and it was amazing!! (my first only worked on one side and with my 2nd I delivered before I could get one). After the epi and IV prevacid, I felt better than I had in a couple of weeks.

Around 11pm, they checked me and I was 8cm and completely thinned out. Next thing I knew, I was being wheeled off into the OR. Twins have to be delivered in the OR even if it's a vaginal birth since there can be complications with the 2nd baby after the first is out. I've never been so scared in my life as I was when we got to the OR. It was so bright and there were 9 doctors & nurses there for my delivery. I felt SO awkward! But we got the show on the road anyway. I could see the babies coming out (and the doc stitching me up afterward) in the OR lights, which was cool. I pushed through 6-7 contractions and Joel was out and screaming. He was born at 12:57pm. It was quite a relief just having one baby out! We waited through several contractions and they gave me oxygen but never said anything about something being wrong with Baby B. Micah was easier to push out. I pushed through maybe 3-4 contractions and I heard the doctor say "We have a floppy one here!" Micah came out kind of blue-ish gray and not breathing. It took a couple of minutes until the nurse told me he was crying but that I couldn't hear it because of the mask over his face. It was scary but I knew he'd be ok. His apgars were 1 and 8. Joel's were 8 and 8.

I finally got to hold them around 3:30am. Micah nursed first and then Joel - both did awesome! By morning, their doc said Micah's breathing issues were just normal newborn transition issues. Joel was born with a misshapen head from being squished by his brother for months. It's getting better every day. Some multiples have to wear helmets to correct their head shapes but their doc doesn't think that will be necessary. I'm just so glad they're both healthy! I was glad I delivered on a weekend so the on-call doc delivered them instead of my OB, whom I was mad at for not inducing me. I'm really glad I made it to full term though. Of course, I'm not mad at my OB now. I had just had it with that pregnancy. Those last few weeks were the hardest thing I've had to go through. It got to where I couldn't eat, sleep, pee, breathe - all those basic things. And the pain was nonstop by the end. Joel & Micah were worth it though!

This is the last belly pic I got. It's at 36 weeks, 1 week before I delivered.

Until DH gets the pics off his camera, this is one of the only hospital pics I have. The boys 1 day old.

Last edited by erleigh; August 17th, 2010 at 01:13 PM.
August 17th, 2010, 01:21 PM
Trish36's Avatar Mom of 4
Erin you look awesome in that 36 week pic! The boys are super cute!!! Glad your delivery went well and you were able to deliver them both vaginally. I can't believe you made it to full term, since so many twins are born early. CONGRATS again!!!!!!!!

Project 365 - 2012: http://trisha2012.wordpress.com/

Thank you Jaidynsmum for my gorgeous siggy!

August 17th, 2010, 07:26 PM
New Mom
Your boys are adorable! And you look great in your belly pic, you are all belly! Glad that they are doing so well!

August 18th, 2010, 06:15 AM
hilachu's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to hilachu
Wow! I can't believe you were able to deliver both vaginally! That is absolutely amazing and they are both so gorgeous!

August 18th, 2010, 11:18 AM
Super Mommy
awesome job!!! congrats!

August 18th, 2010, 11:25 AM
Army_Wife's Avatar Blessed times 3!
They are so sweet, Erin! Congrats!!!!

August 18th, 2010, 12:49 PM
n.m.hood's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I cannot express how impressed I am that you made it 37 weeks. It just blows my mind. So glad that both of the boys are healthy, and that you can finally feel better! They're adorable!!

Mr. Nolan

August 18th, 2010, 02:00 PM
momma2princesses's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
congrats again!
Suzannah (2.5)

August 29th, 2010, 05:48 PM
i:heart:you's Avatar Super Moderator
Wow..you did great! They are adorable, Congratulations.

**Thank you Bokkechick for my awesome siggy**

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search