Natalie Cara's Birth Story born 8/15/2010

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2010 Birth Stories LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
August 19th, 2010, 12:27 AM
fka teresarunningmommy
Around noon Saturday August 14th I was sitting on the computer goofing off and I felt this little trickly feeling. It wasn't much more than urine leakage, but for some reason just didn't quite feel like urine. I went to the bathroom just in case it was my water breaking and there was a little mucus with it, but that was it. With all my other kids the water breaking was instant so I thought when I got up from the bathroom well that obviously wasn't my water breaking. I called my sister none the less and did a quick google search about water breaking. I asked my sister what is it you're supposed to do again if you think your water might have broken, but you're not sure. She couldn't remember, but then I though oh you're supposed to lay down for a bit and see if things pull up. I go lay down and talk to my sister for a little longer and decide I'll just take a nap since I'm tired and let her go. I'm looking at my watch and it's been 20 minutes and nothing exciting so I think this was probably NOT my water breaking, but decide to wait out until 30 minutes. Sometime in the next 5 minutes I have to cough and as I cough the bed is soaked with water. I call my sister back and tell her I'm pretty sure my water broke. I then proceed to try and track down dh since I am at this point home alone. When I first call he's nowhere to be found, but I called somebody else and some how they got a hold of him. As soon as he's home we head to the hospital.

1:30pm Aug 14

I had called ahead to the hospital and told them I was on my way that I was a 7th time mom with a history of 3 hour labors to get a bed ready for me. We get there I think it was like 1:30ish. At this point my midwife and I are expecting contractions to start at any minute. I'm all ready to go and excited. Around 3:30pm still nothing happening. I'm starting to get phone calls wanting to know if I've had the baby since all my other kids have been super fast. At 4:30 I decide to start walking. It was really kind of funny. I wound up ditching dh since he wouldn't walk with me and was just strolling along. I was power walking and clipping at a good pace because I wanted to get things going. The nurses were all kind of staring at me like I was nuts, but I figured a good paced walk would help. I set a goal for 30 minutes. I figured that would be enough to do the trick. 5pm still nothing! Called my sister who was afraid to call me thinking I'd have to be in pain pushing by now.

5pm Aug 14

Talk to the midwife at 5pm and ask her how they handle things with my water broken, how long could I wait, and what she wanted to do. I love her. She proceeds with you can wait as long as 24 hours. "What do you want to do?" I was so thrilled to see that she put the ball in my court and it was all my decisions. I told her that I didn't want to wait 24 hours that if I didn't start contracting soon I didn't think I was going to. I know my body pretty well and usually by now I have contractions. So we decided on 8pm and I asked if I could get pitocin if I didn't start contracting by 8. I figured that gave me 8 full hours for things to start on their own.

8pm Aug 14

At a little after 8pm we start the pitocin up. We all think I'll just need a tiny bit of pitocin to get things going. We start it on the lowest level and then we wait. A half hour or so passes and nothing happening. I ask her to bump things up. They can only bump up pitocin so fast and there's some type of protocal she has to follow. I think she bumped us up like every half hour, but not sure. I know we started at 1 on the pump.

10pm Aug 14

Still nothing happening. I send dh to McDonalds to get himself something to eat and to get me something too. I figure he might as well go now and that something should be starting soon. 11pm still nothing going on and by then everyone under the sun has called to ask where baby is and how things are going. The nurses keep coming in to get my pain level and I keep smiling and saying still sitting at 0. Around 11pm I ask to talk to my midwife and I'm seriously thinking of turning the pitocin off for the night and just going to bed and trying again in the morning, but I wanted to talk to her about risk of infection and what not since at this point my water had been broken for almost 12 hours. We talk and dh and her both convince me to keep going. They both think and I agree after thinking on it that I am not going to sleep anyways so we should keep going.

12:45am Aug 15

I'm FINALLY starting to get some contractions. I posted an update on Justmommies and figure it won't be too much longer, but thinking it still might be a little longer. Around 1am dh is tired and I tell him he might as well get a little sleep for a little bit that I'm starting to get contractions, but nothing bad. I figure I'll try to get some rest as well. 1:50am on the nose I take a picture of dh snoring while I'm in labor. I thought it was funny and was going to post it on facebook and send it to his coworkers to give him a hard time. I wasn't paying attention to the time. I was glad that I took it because I wound up looking at the date & time settings on the photo and it really helped me as far as keeping track of times on when things happened. I also started timing my contractions at this point just to kind of see where I was at. They were coming 3-5 minutes apart, but they were only lasting 30 seconds apart and not very intense at all so I figured I still probably had a while. I wake dh up It was sometime shortly after 2am because the nurse thinks we should try the tub to see if we can get things going. I agree. Dh took a little effort to wake up and I was getting kind of mad at him and ready to throw something at him. He was tired and just kind of disoriented when I woke him.

2am Aug 15

2amish I get in the tub. I'm finally starting to get contractions that actually hurt when I get in the tub. They aren't bad and nothing I can't breathe comfortably through, but they are definitely hurting. I start talking to dh and we are discussing whether I feel like being in pain through this one or not. While these are not unbearable contractions it is 2am and I am tired and don't know if I feel like being in pain. I just figure I'll play it by ear. I stay in the tub for about 20 minutes and start feeling incredibly nauseous and like I'm going to pass out so I decide to get out. I get nauseous and pass out sometimes so this isn't totally a shock to me, but just the same didn't feel like passing out in the tub. Now somewhere around here I start losing track of time and how long things are actually lasting and how fast things are actually progressing. I know it was at least 2:30 when I ask to get some pain meds so I can get a little rest before the big show. At this point the pitocin is now sitting at 7 where it was at 1. For me though the pitocin is a wonderful drug because I've had a lot of kids and my uterus does a lot of fizzling out and not working as well as it used to. I'm actually not in a ton of pain when I asked for the pain meds. I just wanted to get some rest and thought that for whatever reason that I was going to be able to do that... haha.

The pain meds kick in and I'm feeling a lot better for about oh a whole whopping 30 minutes maybe. Then the contractions just come out of nowhere and dang they hurt like h*ll. I go from mild contractions to bammo whammo I'm crying I'm dying contractions. I all of a sudden am grabbing both of dhs hands crying, moaning, and my favorite labor mantra "owee owee owee it hurts, it really hurts." To be honest I have stopped trying to breath through contractions during transition any more. I find moaning and crying to be more effecti't ve at pain management. I swear I had about 3 maybe 4 contractions like that and I tell dh to get the nurse that I can feel her head coming down. She gets my midwife they check me and say I'm complete. It just kind of happened so fast. Even though my water had been broken for hours I was pain free and not in labor for most of it. She says I can push whenever I feel like it. I love this midwife. She was way better than my last one who told me to push where I wasn't sure I was ready. I feel Natalie's head coming down and the pain is so much less now. I keep repeating I'm going to wait. I'm going baby to do most of the work for me. So I kind of sit there for a contraction or two while Miss Natalie slips further down on her own with no work or pushing from me. Then finally my midwife says why don't you try to push with the next contraction. I gave it a good push and was kind of disoriented when the next thing I know she is handing me the baby. My other kids were all three good pushes - one for the head, one for the shoulders, and one for the rest of the body. She just kind of slid out. She was so tiny. It took me a second to tell if she was a boy or a girl because her cord was between her legs. Oh yeh I forgot this until just now, but somehow she even got Neil to cut the cord. I find that kind of funny because he had absolutely NO interest in that, but he's not so good at saying no to people. Once I saw she was a girl I was just all full of tears. She was just beautiful and perfect. Natalie came into the world at 4:20am on August 15, 2010 weighing 7lb 4oz and 20 inches long.

Check out my running blog - Wannabe Running Mama

Last edited by TeresaSuperMama; August 19th, 2010 at 06:18 AM.
August 19th, 2010, 05:53 AM
Super Mommy
congrats!!!

ps - you have a face next to this post. you should change that!

August 19th, 2010, 06:19 AM
fka teresarunningmommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by omgitsk8lyn View Post

ps - you have a face next to this post. you should change that!
Can you tell I posted this in the middle of the night half asleep? Thanks

Check out my running blog - Wannabe Running Mama
August 19th, 2010, 07:20 AM
laisydaisymama's Avatar Natural Birth Junkie
wow, that had to be so weird and frustrating for you to have things go so slowly when you already "know" what to expect!

sounds like it went great anyway, congrats!

-Ginni-
homebirthing, tandem nursing, cosleeping, babywearing, picky vaxing, cloth diapering Christian doula mama

www.lovingbeginning.com
www.givingdiapersgivinghope.org

August 19th, 2010, 10:44 AM
momma2princesses's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
congrats again!!
Suzannah (2.5)

August 19th, 2010, 02:03 PM
Trish36's Avatar Mom of 4
Congrats again on your beautiful girl!! Funny how things don't go the way we expect it. Glad that your labor was mostly pain free, even if it took longer than any of your other kids.

Project 365 - 2012: http://trisha2012.wordpress.com/

Thank you Jaidynsmum for my gorgeous siggy!

August 19th, 2010, 06:38 PM
New Mom
It's great to read your story! At least things went fast when they finally got going. Congratulations! Natalie is beautiful.

August 29th, 2010, 05:44 PM
i:heart:you's Avatar Super Moderator
She is adorable!! Congratulations!

**Thank you Bokkechick for my awesome siggy**
October 1st, 2010, 07:45 AM
CandaceDianne's Avatar Lilyan's Mommy
Congrats!!!

Born June 5, 2010
Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search