Addison Grace born 8/12/10

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2010 Birth Stories LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
August 24th, 2010, 08:39 AM
sportsmom2's Avatar Pregnant with #3
Warning... I am not holding back on this birth story and it's not the most pleasant experience. I do not want to scare others who have not gone through labor yet. I am posting it because even though it was a painful time, the outcome makes it all worth it. I can honestly say Addison is absolutely worth every bit of pain I went through. So, keep that in mind if you haven't had your baby yet...

5:00 am on Thursday, August 12... we get to the hospital. I have already dilated to 3cm and my doctor scheduled an induction because of the fact I am a small person and my doctor is worried if the baby gets too much bigger, that I won't be able to deliver vaginally. Even though this is an induction, I am contracting on my own all the way to the hospital.

After hooking me up to the machine, I am in fact in labor on my own. Nurses wait to start pitocin, hoping I won't need it. I have consistent contractions for 2.5 hours but when doctor comes to check me, I have not changed any (just over 3 cm still). So at 8:00am, he breaks my water and starts me on low dose of pitocin.

In the meantime, I learn that my friend who was due one day before me is actually in labor in the room beside me. She checked in 1/2 hour before me. We joke to the nurses that we are in a race to see who delivers first. I assume it will be her, she is already at 4cm...

My doctor knew how much I wanted to get the epidural, it was kinda like a joke... I told him to have it ready for me in the parking lot for when I got to the hospital. He asked me to wait as long as I could, so I didn't slow things down. I didn't like this but I wanted to obey his orders.

9:00 am. I am hurting with the contractions, but not too miserable yet. The nurse warns me that once I ask for the epidural, it takes about an hour to actually get it. She said I have to have a full bag of IV fluid... I decide to ask for it because I am feeling the contractions getting stronger and I don't want to miss my "window".

10:15am. I am in a lot of pain! The nurse tells me that the anesthesiologist has 2 women ahead of me for epidurals... I will have to wait. I think of my friend in the next room getting her epidural and I am super jealous.

10:30am. I am almost throwing up from the pain during the contractions. My mom and oldest son is in the room at the time (Hubby is with youngest son in waiting area... mom and hubby keep switching places back and forth). I ask my mom to take my son out because I am afraid I will scare him. I want to scream through the contractions and have been holding back due to the fact my kid is in there). The nurse promises me that the anesthesiologist is on his way... It is the only thing that keeps me sane. She also tells me that I cannot have anyone in the room with me while they put in the epidural... so mom and hubby are locked out in the lobby.

11:00am. The nurse checks me. I am only at 4cm. I cannot believe it. With the strength and pain of the contractions, I am completely devastated that I have not progressed any further. I see the anesthesiologist in the hallway and I almost scream for him to hurry up!

11:15am. He finally comes into the room and starts explaining the procedure. I actually tell him to skip the details and get the meds in me. I have been thru this twice before, I just want relief! He has to be the slowest man in the world. I am sitting up and leaning over the side of the bed while he preps my back... my contractions are so close that there is barely a break from the pain. I am so close to throwing up/passing out from the pain.

11:25am. The epidural is in my back and he tells me that he has to go get the meds mixed and ready. Why he doesn't have this done already blows my mind. I want to strangle him! They tell me I have to lay down so that when he inserts the meds, I will get it evenly distributed. I lay down and the very next contraction I feel the baby in my bottom. I PANIC.

11:30am. Me and the nurse are the only ones in the room and she is busy getting the catheter ready. I tell her that I feel it in my bottom and she says it's just back labor and I should only feel a few more contractions before he gets back with the meds. I know it's more than back labor and tell her that I feel like I have to POOP. She looks a little concerned and decides to check me. (Remember, this is only 30 minutes since I was at 4cm). She checks and I see PANIC all over her face. She says, "it's baby time". I am complete and CROWNING. I have a panic attack. I realize what this means... NO DRUGS. I will have to do this without the epidural and I freak out. I am totally unprepared for the pain... I didn't take child birth class, I don't know how to breathe and I beg the nurse to do something for me... ANYTHING.

I am hurting so bad right now, I literally feel like I will not survive another contraction. I am not exaggerating when I say that I want to claw my eyes out to put the pain somewhere else. The nurse is scrambling around the room, taking the bed apart, making phone calls to my doctor, etc. My husband and mom are still in the lobby (trying to get in but the nurses outside don't know what is going on inside and won't let them in). The urge to push is unbearable and the nurse begs me to breathe thru it because she wants the doctor to get there. I beg her just to deliver the baby herself because I cannot resist pushing...

By the grace of GOD, I manage to breathe through the next few contractions and urges. I am not sure HOW.

11:40am. The nurse finally runs and gets my husband and my mom (telling them to get in there NOW). They don't know what's going on but my mom comes in a blazing and screaming at everyone for making me wait so long that I didn't get any relief for the pain. The doctor shows up just in time as I am pushing regardless of who is there and who isn't.

The burning and pain are so intense I push and push and push, knowing that getting the baby out is going to be my only relief.

11:42am. Addison Grace is delivered. Healthy. Scoring a 9 on the Apgar.

I am almost in shock. It's over, but I am shaking all over. The doctor says I have a few tears and need stitches. I kindly tell him to get his hands away from me down there. Honestly, I could not bear to go through anymore at that point. He re-evaluates and decides that maybe I can do without the stitches (I regret this now, but at the time, they would have had to sedate me to do anymore to my girl parts).

Addison weighed 6lbs 4oz (much smaller than the doctor anticipated). She was 18 inches long. She had the most perfect round head and beautiful black hair and perfect skin. She has blessed my family more than words can say.

Healing was super quick for me this time. So I guess the trade off for the rough labor is fast healing time afterwards... My doctor said that he has never had any patient go from 4cm to complete in such a short amount of time (30 minutes to be exact).

My boys are more than brother's to Addison... they are like little daddies. They help change diapers, feed, bathe, and dress her. I couldn't be more thrilled with my perfect family and perfect life. We are complete.

And when they say that you completely forget the pain of childbirth... well, you don't really forget... but you accept it. You look at your little miracle and you know that every single ounce of pain was worth it. It truly is. I am so in love with my little girl, I would go through that every single day for her.

Mama to Andrew (13) Daniel (11) and baby Addison
Step-Mom to Courtney (18)
Loving wife to Scott for 13 wonderful years!

My Blog

August 24th, 2010, 09:38 AM
Super Mommy
wow! that was an intense story. congrats!!

August 24th, 2010, 11:09 AM
momma2princesses's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
whew...felt like I was right there with you...and it wasnt fun! Great end result though....your little girl is beautiful!
Suzannah (2.5)

August 24th, 2010, 04:58 PM
M-n-MsMama0510's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Sounds like mine, the pain was SO horrible. But I wouldnt do it every single day again lol. Maybe once a week. lol Congrats tho !

August 25th, 2010, 05:01 AM
Trish36's Avatar Mom of 4
Wow...that was intense. Funny how quickly you can go to being fully dialated and no one expects it. Sorry you didn't get your epi. Addison is such a little cutie!!!!! CONGRATS Momma you did an awesome job!

Project 365 - 2012: http://trisha2012.wordpress.com/

Thank you Jaidynsmum for my gorgeous siggy!

August 25th, 2010, 11:55 AM
laisydaisymama's Avatar Natural Birth Junkie
I had pretty much the same thing happen with my second son. 5cm-10cm in about 15 minutes.

congrats!

-Ginni-
homebirthing, tandem nursing, cosleeping, babywearing, picky vaxing, cloth diapering Christian doula mama

www.lovingbeginning.com
www.givingdiapersgivinghope.org

August 29th, 2010, 05:39 PM
i:heart:you's Avatar Super Moderator
Congratulations! She is adorable.

**Thank you Bokkechick for my awesome siggy**

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search