We pride ourselves on having the friendliest
and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment
for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers.
If you have any problems registering please drop an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!
It is a strange feeling knowing that you are going to be induced, it's almost a surreal feeling. Talk about pressure to make sure everything is all set and ready to go. We made sure childcare for our son was all set, our bags were packed and we were ready for a baby. My husband had to work that day and I decided to take our son to daycare for a short day so I could rest up for labor. I picked him up early from daycare so that we could come home and enjoy some Mommy and son time. After making sure we were both bathed, we ran out and picked up Dos Coyotes for my husband and I and the rare treat of McDonald's for the little man. It was a whirlwind once we got home and we quickly ate dinner, my husband took a shower, and we loaded the car. I called the hospital at 7pm to make sure we were still on for an 8pm induction and we got a green light. Our friend came over to watch our son for the evening until his Uncle came home from work and we were headed off to the hospital. Getting out of the car and walking into the hospital was an indescribable feeling. The sun had not set yet but the moon was already up and half full. I could feel our baby wiggling inside and knew it would only be short time until we had a chance to hold him in our arms. Shortly before 8pm, we checked into the hospital to start the induction. I was escorted to my delivery room while my husband went and checked in with registration. The nursing staff took my history, verified my induction orders and started my IV. My IV went much better this time than it did when I had my first son. By 9pm, the first miso tablet had been inserted and I was considered closed and only 60% effaced. Around 11pm, I took an Ambien to help me sleep a bit before things got tough. I dozed off and on throughout the night and had to keep waking my husband up to help me use the restroom and such every hour or so. Contractions started shortly after the miso was inserted although they weren't real painful and were anywhere from 2-4 minutes apart. The nurse decided to see if they continued and if so she planned to start the pitocin at 4am. At 4am, my nurse was busy with another patient. By 7am, my new nurse Kathie started on shift and noted my contractions had slowed to 5-7 minutes apart so they inserted another miso tablet. With this labor, they actually let me eat and drink until labor was really intense so my husband and I shared my breakfast. We then went for a walk of the halls and peeked into the nursery. I also sat on the birthing ball for awhile. My sister arrived at the hospital around 10:30am. She brought me a People magazine so I tried reading through that in between contractions while visiting with her and my husband. By 11:30am, my pitocin drip was started. My nurse suggested that my husband and sister go pick up some lunch for me and them so that I could eat before things got crazy since lunch wouldn't be served until 1pm. They took off to a local sandwich shop and brought me back a delicious turkey sandwich. Right after I finished eating, the contractions really picked up and became difficult to breathe through. I was trying to distract myself with tv, the magazine, and a game on my sister's phone. The nurse kept having to come in the room to put baby back on the monitor as he was playing hide and seek. I also met with the anesthesiologist on duty regarding my previous epidural experience and my extra vertebrae. She reassured me that this time would be different and they would ensure it worked. She also advised my nurse that the resident on staff would not be allowed to do my epidural since it would be more complicated. The pitocin worked a lot better with this labor and I only hit a 7 on my dosage compared to my previous labor of 2 full rounds to 22. By 2pm, I was in a lot of pain and ready for a break from the pain. I asked Nelson if it was too early for an epidural and he went and got the nurse. Kathie stated there was no reason not to start the epidural then as it was obvious that I wasn't going home without a baby. We decided to do a walking epidural so that I could still get up and use the restroom and such. We had to hold off on starting the epidural right away because my hospital bed was broken and my nurse had to order another one which quickly arrived. The first attempt at my epidural didn't work and the needle bent against my spine. The second time required some digging but it was successful. At this point I was 4cm and 80% effaced. My sister left to pick up my son from daycare and my husband stayed by my side. The epidural was great and helped take the edge off for a bit. By 5pm I was 6 1/2cm and the pain was starting to intensify again. I was switched over to a full epidural around this time. By 6pm, my on call doctor was notified it was baby time and that she would have to break my water. It took her about 20 minutes to get there and during that time my water broke on it's own during a contraction. Although, throughout the labor, I believe I had a high break in my water. I started pushing at 6:11pm, the anesthesiologist topped off my epidural around 6:35pm and I delivered our gorgeous baby boy at 6:41pm on August 17, 2010. He came out crying and had great apgar scores. Our beautiful little boy has a head full of hair and the most adorable face. He has long fingers and toes too. He weighted in at 8lbs 5.5oz and was 20 1/4 inches long. The end of labor was almost as intensely painful as it was with first son but my husband and nurse kept telling me what a great job I was doing which kept me motivated. I tend to get very quiet during labor/pain to help deal with the pain. I remember thinking that I was going to push as hard as I could since that was the only way to stop the pain. I wanted to feel that instant relief that comes with delivering your baby and so I did. My nurse was dying to know his name since we hadn't announced it to anyone yet. Nelson and I actually finalized our baby's name while I was in labor. We announced our baby as Isaiah. I got to hold him skin to skin while my doctor delivered my placenta and stitched up my 2nd degree tear. The doctor found the 2nd lobe of the placenta and showed it to my husbad. While holding my baby, I called my parents to let them know that Isaiah had made his arrival. I also surprised them by letting them know that they were going to pick his American middle name. My husband's parents have picked both of our sons' Chinese middle names. We gave them two choices: Joseph and Ryan. My mom asked my dad what name he wanted and he immediately picked Joseph. I remember hearing my mom say oh good, you want that one too. And so it was that Isaiah Joseph Jong Yahn Ong was named.
Once we were moved into our post partum room and Isaiah was brought back to our room after having his first bath, my parents, siblings and little man arrived to the hospital. They all got to meet Isaiah for the first time and watching my oldest taking his first look at his brother was priceless. He was a little unsure of his brother at first and didn't want to touch him or kiss him. By the time he left though, he kissed his brother goodbye. Both of our boys opened their presents from each other. Our little man made Isaiah a teddy bear and Isaiah gave his big brother a Toy Story shirt and Cars books. Isaiah also received his first Christmas stocking and a beautiful picture frame from his Paha and Haha. We were very fortunate to get a semi private room that we didn't have to share and my husband was able to sleep in the extra hospital bed instead of the chair that was in the room. We were very lucky to be moved to a private room the following afternoon which was amazing. I even had my own shower in the room. My night nurse turned out to be one of my husband's previous patients and one of my day nurses was one of my husband's co-worker's patient. My night nurse, Lee, was amazing and very helpful. I also had another day nurse, Natalie, who was great. While we were in the hospital, the on call pediatrician, examined Isaiah and he was looking great. We let her know about my June ultrasound and the possible mass they had spotted near Isaiah's kidney. She ordered an ultrasound and it was completed that morning. Around 3pm, at shift change, the nurses came to get Isaiah to do an x-ray. We weren't sure why they were doing an x-ray as we hadn't even hear the u/s results. The nurses couldn't provide us with much information due to the shift change. Natalie was great though and called our pediatrician to find out more information. We then received a call from our pediatrician who apologized as the head nurse was supposed to inform us about the x-ray. The ultrasound confirmed an unidentified mass and the radiologist had recommended an x-ray. They also started labs that would take about a week to get back. By the time we were discharged from the hospital, Isaiah was jaundice as well so we followed up with the pediatrician the following day. Another bili test confirmed that Isaiah's levels were increasing and we had to start supplementing with formula. Isaiah went for bili tests every day until day 8. In the meantime, we have been working with the pediatrician to address the mass found. Isaiah had a CT scan on day 6. We really were anticipating that they would say we had nothing to worry about and all was fine. However; Isaiah's pediatrician called with the preliminary CT results which was an ordeal in itself. It took them 1 1/2 hours, 3 nurses and 2 radiology techs to place his IV before they could start the CT. His veins kept blowing and the poor kiddo had a needle poked into about every spot on his body imaginable. Our pediatrician immediately consulted with several specialists including an endocrinologist. As a result, we were scheduled to meet with an endocrinologist the following day and were prepared for a surgical consult to review all of our options. We have been very impressed with our pediatrician so far but this isn't her area of specialty. She prepared us for the possibility of the mass being an adrenal hemorrhage or neuroblastoma. Both of which, at worst case scenario, could be potentially fatal. Things quickly changed and we were now on a frightening and scary road. The road will be a long one but we started asking family and friends for thoughts and prayers. That day was a very long and terrifying one. We couldn't handle the thought of losing our little boy. The following day we found out that Isaiah's jaundice levels had decreased and he would no longer require daily blood draws! We also had a great appointment today with the endocrinologist and he provided us with a lot of hope as he is very optimistic that things will turn out ok. He told us there were no guarantees or promises he could make but he has a good feeling about this. We will be playing the waiting game for a bit but if that's what it takes, we will do it. My husband and I were both impressed with the specialist and feel confident working with him. He sat down with us for almost an hour going over everything and explaining Isaiah's test results in detail. We reviewed the pros and cons of placing him on steroids/medication and have opted at this time not to do so unless proven medically necessary. The specialist also reviewed signs that we need to watch for in the rare chance that Isaiah were to go into adrenal failure. They have also armed us with a medical note that we are to carry with Isaiah at all times in the event he shows any signs. The note provides the emergency room with information regarding his condition and the medical treatment necessary to control it. While we still do not have a clear diagnosis, we have a game plan at this point. The information we discussed with the specialist today and all of Isaiah's tests will be sent to a pediatric surgeon for consult although the specialist was confident we would be able to avoid surgery at this time. Isaiah will go for further cortisol, ACTH, and chemistry panel testing in 2 weeks and we will review with the doctor in 3 weeks (ACTH takes a week for the results to be finalized). We will also review at that time as to when to complete another CT scan. Having a game plan and a supportive medical team has made a world of difference for us and makes breathing so much easier. While we aren't out of the woods yet, we feel we have some control and hope. Now we can focus on enjoying our new family of four!