Samuel's Birth Story

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2010 Birth Stories LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
August 31st, 2010, 09:35 PM
birdblue's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Samuel’s Birth Story

After an apt with my Ob on the afternoon of the 16th we decided to schedule an induction on the morning of the 19th at 7am. Wednesday around 10am my mother informed me that the hospital had called at 6am that morning. So, I called the hospital back and spoke to my Ob, apparently the hospital had written that I would be in the morning of the 18th instead of the 19th as we had planned, my Ob asked if I could come in that night. I explained that I was more ready to go in the morning, as we had discussed but she wasn’t listening and asked again if I could come in that night. I asked what time and she said 6 or 7, so I said I’d be there at 7.

I quickly got on facebook to see if my two friends Christi and Wendy, who would be present during my labor were online. After making contact with them I planned for the two of them, and my friend Penny to meet me and Kevin at Bob Evans so I could enjoy a big breakfast before the induction began. I frantically ran around making sure everything was ready for Samuel to return home, vacuumed and changed the bedding and then took a long shower before leaving for my breakfast.

We arrived at the hospital at 7pm and were told room 709 had been prepared for us. I had been hoping for room 718 because it was the biggest room, but it was dirty, and after going into 709 and seeing the beautiful window view it had we decided it would do. The nurse put the IV in and at 10pm the gel was placed on my cervix, as I was high and not dilated at all they wanted to ripen my cervix before starting the Pitocin. Shortly before 10pm to shortly after midnight Kevin’s mom was visiting with us at the hospital. At midnight my contractions were strong and about 5 minutes apart. At 2am they were planning to use another dose of the gel but I was contracting on my own so they didn’t use it.

After that point we were kind of at a standstill, the contractions stayed steady and painful but I wasn’t really effacing or dilating. Around 3am Kevin asked if I could get some pain medicine as I was already struggling, but I said I wanted to go longer. At about 4am they gave me some Stadol but it didn’t help at all. Around 5am my friend Wendy arrived. Finally around 6am the anesthesiologist came in to give me my epidural, I had caved…the pain was already difficult to take and at that point I was only around 30% effaced and maybe dilated to 2 so I knew things would only get worse. However he was unable to get between my bones. For 45 minutes he tried and then finally gave up after saying several times “some people it just doesn’t work … some peoples bones are too close together.” I was so frustrated, however due to the fact that he did not stop what he was doing while I was having contractions and I had to stay so very still as I was terrified something bad would happen if I moved, I was forced to focus harder and find the will to “go inside myself” while having contractions which made things a tad easier.

I think it was around 7am when the next shift anesthesiologist came to my room. I was terrified to let him try…I couldn’t go through that again, but again the fear of the next stage of pain along with Kevin and Wendy encouraging me to let him try, gave me the courage to give the okay and yes! He was successful on the first try. Finally I had some relief; the epi took effect pretty quickly. Shortly after this my friend Christi arrived and for the next few hours Kevin, Wendy, Christi and I pretty much relaxed and napped. Sometime between naps they broke my water in hopes it would speed things up. Around 1pm I was at 9cm but he was still high. Shortly after this time my mom arrived. I had been starting to get antsy for her arrival, as it was important to me that she was there and I was grateful when she arrived.

The next few hours are kind of a blur. I was still not feeling most contractions, but from time to time I would feel one. They had put in internal monitors because it appeared that my contractions were slowing even with the Pit, and Samuel’s heart kept slowing. I had to keep changing positions because of Samuel’s heart slowing. Around 3pm Samuel was still around -1 but I was nearly 10cm and totally effaced and the nurses had spoke to my Ob and they had me start pushing. Kevin was at my head and my friend Wendy and my Mother held my feet as I pushed. Now it may sound naive of me, but I had never before realized that one truly had to Push their baby Out, I thought contractions did most of the work. Once my Ob got there she wouldn’t let anyone touch/help me and it didn’t take long before I began to get frustrated as the pain increased and I began to doubt I could continue. My Ob had me pushing every other contraction; I would take a deep breath and the count to ten as I pushed with all my might, repeating this three times before resting. It was difficult because on the contractions she wanted me to rest my body wanted to push and I had a difficult time not pushing, and when I was told to push my body wanted to rest.

Next my Ob had to cut me; she cut me and then gave me the shot to numb me. Needless to say I shrieked when I got cut, my mother says she will never forget that sound, nor will anyone else who was present I imagine. My Ob then said it would be about 18 more sets of pushing before Samuel would be born; from somewhere within me I found strength and had decided I had to do this! It was about three more sets of pushing and Samuel was coming out! My Ob. told me to wait, she hadn’t had her little table ready…it was so difficult waiting and not pushing anymore, finally he was out! It’s not true that the pain is immediately gone, I still hurt, badly, but I was overjoyed to have my son! Kevin cut the cord which my Ob had clamped immediately. I was a bit disappointed and asked if we could wait about 4 times as my Ob was handing Kevin the scissors and he was going to cut it before I realized it was too late, it had been clamped. I was only able to hold my son briefly before he was whisked away to be poked, checked and wiped down.

Samuel was born at 4:58pm on Aug 19th weighing 7lbs 10 oz and measuring 20 and a half inches long. It was so amazing to see My Son, the realization that My Son was born was the most amazing feeling ever. I am so thankful I was able to be surrounded by so many loved ones during that moment; it was wonderful having my Mother, Wendy, Christi and Kevin there with me. Everyone was wonderful! Kevin was the most amazing partner throughout this experience, and he continues to be even still. From the very beginning he was eager to tend to my needs, trying to make the experience as pleasant and easy as possible, being endlessly supportive and loving, I couldn’t have a better man.

When I asked my friends Christi and Wendy if I had the story right and if I should add anything Christi said: You should also add that during labor you were taking phone calls, checking a message board, and during pushing you were asking everyone else if they were all right. You're so amazing. I love you!

Thank you so much Jaidynsmum for the beautiful siggy!

Last edited by birdblue; September 2nd, 2010 at 12:34 PM.
September 2nd, 2010, 08:10 AM
~Devon~'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to ~Devon~
Things may not have gone the way you had hoped, but he's here and healthy!! I'm sorry your dr didn't listen to you regarding some of your wishes, that's always frustrating.

If you choose to have another baby and your insurance covers a midwife, I'd suggest going with them as you should find them more caring for your needs.
September 2nd, 2010, 06:49 PM
Trish36's Avatar Mom of 4
CONGRATS on your little boy!!! Sorry your epi didn't take right away and that some of your wishes weren't followed.

Project 365 - 2012: http://trisha2012.wordpress.com/

Thank you Jaidynsmum for my gorgeous siggy!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search