The Natural Waterbirth of Dash

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2010 Birth Stories LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
September 6th, 2010, 05:02 PM
Super Mommy
Dashel Edward
8/30/2010
4:51pm
9lbs 7.5oz
21 inches long

It all started at 3am the morning of the 30th. I woke up out of a dead sleep and the second I opened my eyes, my water broke. I rolled out of bed sideways as to not leak anymore on the bed and ran for my tiled bathroom floor. I made it to the toilet and a huge gush came out. I tried to wipe, but every time I did, more fluid would gush out and I would end up soaked. I laughed about this for a while and then finally grabbed a towel to put between my legs so I could get DH up.

DH was sleeping on the couch, so I woke him and told him my water broke and to go back to sleep. I would wake him when it was time to go. I laid down again and tried to sleep, but the contractions kept coming. My hour drive to the birth center was on my mind, so I decided to just get up and call the MW. She wanted us to head to the center asap.

I called my Dad and he came over to watch Corbin. Once he arrived, we were on our way. We arrived around 5am. It was a long day of laboring and things were progressing slowly. My mom and sister arrived and then we all just waited for things to happen. I walked laps around the birth center, took 2 showers, listened to my Hypnobabies, and did everything else I could think of to get things going. Eventually, my MW checked me and I was 6cm. That was the only cervical check I had during labor.

Around 2pm, I sent my mom and sister away since nothing was happening. I figured they could go shopping for a bit and I could rest. Once they left, I really got in the zone. I felt like I could finally focus on having this baby. They came back around 3:30 and I was getting in the tub to see if that helped.

The moment I had my first contraction in the tub, I felt lots of pressure. I thought I had to poop, so I got out and tried to go. No luck. The pressure I was feeling was the baby! Things began to happen fast! My MW did a quick check on me from behind, since I was kneeling in the tub, and I was complete. That was at 4:10pm.

Around this time, I became obsessed with having washcloths soaked in ice water draped over my back and face. It was my lifesaver. I pushed for about 30 minutes on my knees and then switched to laying in the water grabbing the handles. I pushed this way for a few minutes and his head came out. I thought we were so close to being done. Now the body would just slide out, but it didn't. Dash's shoulder was stuck.

The MW began draining the water out of the tub and had me urgently get back into a squatting position. I pushed with everything I had while she manually freed his shoulder and he was born. It was 4:51pm.

I could not see him when he was born, because he was behind me, but he was very blue and stiff. He was still breathing off his cord. After about 4 seconds, I heard him cry. It was amazing. And so loud! Then he pooped from the stressful birth. I maneuvered around so I was sitting in the tub, and the MW put him on my chest. He was perfect in every way.

We sat this way for about 10 minutes and then DH cut the cord. He took the baby and they moved me to the bed so I could deliver the placenta. I also had some tearing and got 3 or 4 stitches. Dash stayed with me the whole time and nursed quickly. I was out of bed at 7:30pm going pee and taking a shower on my own. We headed home around 9pm.

Overall, it was a great experience and I would do it again. It was so intense and crazy, and I really can't believe I did it. I think I stayed calm and under control thanks to my Hypnobabies!

September 6th, 2010, 08:16 PM
i:heart:you's Avatar Super Moderator
Congratulations!! Great story.

**Thank you Bokkechick for my awesome siggy**
September 10th, 2010, 02:11 PM
Trish36's Avatar Mom of 4
what a wonderful birth story!! CONGRATS!!!! Awesome that you had a NCB.

Project 365 - 2012: http://trisha2012.wordpress.com/

Thank you Jaidynsmum for my gorgeous siggy!

September 15th, 2010, 09:30 PM
laisydaisymama's Avatar Natural Birth Junkie
that sounds wonderful, congrats!

-Ginni-
homebirthing, tandem nursing, cosleeping, babywearing, picky vaxing, cloth diapering Christian doula mama

www.lovingbeginning.com
www.givingdiapersgivinghope.org

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search