Alison Kay's birth story - Unplanned Natural Birth

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2010 Birth Stories LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
October 11th, 2010, 02:19 PM
forest's Avatar Cara, Mom to two girls
Send a message via Yahoo to forest
I had been having BH contractions for awhile before I went into labor. Around 4 in the afternoon I started to have some that were more painful. I decided to time them to see if they were regular or not and how far apart they were. They were not regular at all and 10 Ė 15 minutes apart so I didnít think much of them. I went and picked El up at daycare around 5. The contractions were still around 10 minutes apart and irregular so I waited until I had one before I hopped in the car to go get her. Rob called pretty soon after we got home to say he was going on a fire and would be out of cell service. I told him to go ahead and didnít mention the contractions. After a bit (and some discussion with people on JM Ė thanks Jess!) I called him and told him to come home. I caught him just before he went out of cell service. Iím not sure if I got El into bed myself or if he got home before then, it took him about 2 hours to get home. A bit after he got home I called my Mom to head over, she was about an hour away.
When my Mom got to our house my contractions were closer but still irregular. I had taken a shower and had some dinner. The contractions were pretty strong but I could breath through them pretty well. I was watching TV between them and wanted to finish my show before we went to the hospital, but my Mom was pretty insistent that we go now. On the way to the hospital my contractions finally got spaced out at regular intervals and were about 2 minuted apart. We got there and parked right by the doors. Once we got inside we had to wait for someone to come get us to take us back to L&D. L&D was very busy and no delivery rooms were open. I stood around at the front desk for a bit before they finally sent me to one of the postpartum rooms to pee in a cup and get checked. I donít think they believed that I was having contractions 2 minutes or less apart.
There was one other person in the room when I got in there, at some point they moved her out but I didnít notice. I got changed and when the nurse checked me I was at 6cm. I was pretty surprised and expected to be at maybe 4. I let them run a tape but after she checked me I stood back up because it was way more comfortable that way. I had about 2 more contractions before the doctor came by. She wasnít one I had met before, but she was very nice and pressed on my back for me during the next contraction. I told her I wanted an epidural and she said they would try to get me one. She left for a second but came back when I had my next contraction because she wanted to check me again. Somewhere in their the nurse put in an IV. Rob had to help her with it. When she checked me I was at 10 cm and ready to push. That is when things got very crazy. There was no time to get me into a delivery room so they just set up right there. Rob helped set up the delivery kit because things were just so crazy. My water broke when they were setting up and I started pushing with each contraction because I couldnít stop myself. Alison was born after about 3 or 4 contractions at 10:03PM. She was 7 lbs, 4ozs and 21 inches long.
They put her right on my chest but took her away after a few second because her APGAR was only 6. After I delivered the placenta Rob went to be with her. I didnít have any tearing so I was able to get cleaned up and walked down to the nursery pretty soon after delivering. He oxygen level was pretty low, probably because I delivered so fast, and she was in the nursery on oxygen until the morning. I was able to try nursing her around midnight and she latched on like a pro! We spent the next day and night at the hospital and were let free early the second morning.
Although I wasnít planning on a natural birth I was very happy with it. The contractions did get pretty painful, but I donít remember feeling any pain during delivery, just pressure. If I have another baby I will plan on having another natural birth.

Thank you Natalie (MrsStuartD) for my Beautiful Siggy!!!

~Cara, Mom to Elizabeth (12/5/07) and Alison (8/12/10)~~
October 13th, 2010, 08:09 AM
Mommy2Noah&Jack's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Great birth story, Cara!!! COngrats again!!!

October 15th, 2010, 05:12 PM
mrsjl's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
your birth story is similar to mine in so many ways, I could really identify with it!

thanks for sharing. Alison is beautiful and I LOVE your siggy with both of your girls.

October 17th, 2010, 07:58 PM
BoobyDutyAgainJen's Avatar Proud Mom & Birth Mom
Send a message via AIM to BoobyDutyAgainJen
So glad you got Rob back in time! COngrats...she is gorgeous!!

Thanks *Kiliki* for the precious siggy!

October 26th, 2010, 03:20 PM
Super Mommy
wow, great job with the unplanned natural birth!

Check out my blog: http://jrsygurl4life.blogspot.com/

November 17th, 2010, 08:31 AM
Trish36's Avatar Mom of 4
Yay for a natural birth! Glad you reached your hubby in time.

Project 365 - 2012: http://trisha2012.wordpress.com/

Thank you Jaidynsmum for my gorgeous siggy!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search