Jocelyn Mackenzie's Birth Story

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2010 Birth Stories LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
November 23rd, 2010, 07:53 PM
mom2myJo's's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
In order to start this birth story, I need to back time up by a couple of weeks.

I was 34 weeks along and all of a sudden I was having contractions that I could not stop. I had been sick for the last 3 days with the stomach flu and my uterus was irritated. After 14 hours in L and D, they were able to stop the contractions and I was able to go home. I eventually got over the flu and thought everything was a go.

At 36 weeks pregnant, I had my u/s that showed us that a VBAC was not worth trying due to the risks for me and the baby. They measured her at 7 pounds 10 oz and after a c-section date of Nov 30th was set, I was on my way.

The very next Saturday after that, my DH comes down with a severe stomach flu. I was a good wife and babied him along with sanitizer in one hand and a bucket in another. Thinking my son and I had it before him, I thought that we were in the clear. I couldn't have been more wrong.

I was doing so much, I began to contract but I didn't think much of it and moved about my daily life. Two days later, my DS gets this same flu. He refused to purge in a bucket and I had to sit in it along with him for the next 24 hours. I still was contracting and now I began to have very soft bowel movements very often. I didn't think I was sick, but I suspected something wasn't right.

Tuesday November 16th started with DS crapping himself in the bed, and I had to go to the bathroom as well. This was at 730 am in the morning and the night before, I canceled my babysitter and had no one to be here while I was supposed to be in class. Now the contractions were intense and 3 minutes apart. I was in so much pain. I began to vomit in the sink. I called my DH saying to come home now and then called my OB. I rested and got fluids for 2 hours like they wanted and they were still intense with no plans to stop and now they were 2 minutes apart.

After my 2 hour wait, I was told then to head to L and D. My sitter came to the house and we then left. To my OB's surprise, I wasn't lying. They weren't happy that I was just 37 weeks that day and contracting. Due to my history of no dilation with my DS, they tried to tell me I wasn't in labor due to minimal changes in cervix but yet the contractions kept going.

The nurse as I was considering my options gave me Terb against my will ( she wasn't allowed in the room again ) I began to shake as I did not have pain meds and my heart rate was in the 150's resting. I asked for meds to stop this and I was never given those meds and was left to suffer. My DH was there, but honestly, I didn't think he knew what to do. Jocelyn meanwhile was having a high heart rate almost to 200 during my contractions which scared us both.

The OB kept trying to put me off until I demanded I see her in person and I also stated why I had a c-section before and she finally listens. She puts 2 bags of fluid in the IV and tests me for all kinds of infections but nothing turned up. She made me wait until she was done with clinic and then she would be ready for surgery.

I was given a narcotic for the first time at 4 pm and walked back to get my spinal at 5 pm. Things went well until the incision was opened. I apparently had lots of scar tissue after my first c-section and it took them 30 minutes to get to Jocelyn.

Jocelyn Mackenzie was born on November 16th 2010 at 530 pm pst. She weighed 7 pounds 10 oz and was 37 weeks 0 days gestation at birth. Even though she has a good birth weight, she is considered to be a late pre-term baby and not full term. She had complications with breathing and tachycardia and needed to be watched after birth for 2 hours. I didn't get to breast feed her for several hours because her wakeful time had come and gone. I did get to see the first bath and shots done right from my bed and the nursing staff was able to include me in all decisions made about her care despite the fact I was still in recovery.

During my stay at the hospital, we discovered she had a hard time with feeding and keeping her temps up so I have this protocol to follow every three hours to feed, supplement, and then pump. I was able to get this organized during my stay. Jocelyn was able to go home with us but barely. She was one ounce away from being admitted for weight. My milk supply when I left hadn’t come in and that waited until 2 days after discharge and 5 days after delivery. I still struggle to get my milk supply up even after taking Reglan. We have another weight check the day after Thanksgiving due to failure to gain weight 2 days after discharge. I hope that will not have to use formula, but if I have to then so be it.

She has Jaundice and Friday we will find out if she needs to be treated for it. I developed edema from the belly button down and am trying to get the swelling to go away. My scar is healing beautifully, which is awesome. I am starting to wean from the Oxycodone and the family is getting used to the new routine. I have a lot of hope that she can avoid the same complications that afflict her brother and for a healthy life. Although we went through a lot, I know it if worth it in the end and we are very blessed.
November 23rd, 2010, 08:11 PM
BabyBee2's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Wow what a story! Congrats on your baby girl and hopefully your check up on Friday brings nothing but good news

Delaney Nicole 12/6/10
Proud parents Desirae and Chris
November 23rd, 2010, 09:46 PM
SavaAngel's Avatar Mama to AJ & Katie
Send a message via AIM to SavaAngel Send a message via Yahoo to SavaAngel
I agree, what a birth story. I am glad you stuck to your guns and made the doctor listen. Good Luck in the coming weeks. Keep us posted on how your little girl is doing.

AJ (age 7) & Katie (age 2.5)
PM to see if I am available to make a siggy - decisions will be made on a case by case basis.

Katie's: BELLY PICS~ U/S PICS

November 24th, 2010, 05:35 AM
*Kaelee's Mamii*'s Avatar Mega Super Mommy
agree with other ladies

your have beautiful baby girl

congrats!@

November 24th, 2010, 11:06 AM
kitkat's Avatar Super Mommy
Congratulations and thanks for sharing! I'll be thinking of you as you recover and hope you have a good appt this week.

Welcome to the world Jocelyn!

November 24th, 2010, 11:30 AM
BranGavandDomsMomma's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via MSN to BranGavandDomsMomma
Wow! It sounds like a pretty scary labour and delivery, i'm really glad that you and Jocelyn are doing good tho and big congrats to you!

November 24th, 2010, 11:49 AM
jessi0887's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
thx 4 sharing

November 24th, 2010, 02:54 PM
mommy_jackie's Avatar Jaide & Jo's Momma
What a story! Thanks for sharing! I hope everything just keeps getting better and everything comes out good.

November 24th, 2010, 06:01 PM
4seasons's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Whoa, that seems a little scary. I'm glad everything is turning out ok. Good luck with the bfing, don't give up! Congrats on your baby girl!

November 24th, 2010, 08:47 PM
MoMMy2*Vicky.Hayd.and.K*'s Avatar LOVE my GiRL & BoyS! <3
Congrats on ur little baby girl!!! Worth all that work I wish for u and her to keep doing well!

Thank you Jaidynsmum for my Beautiful Siggy!

November 26th, 2010, 11:59 AM
mommy*tired's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Congratulations!
November 27th, 2010, 05:43 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Wow, thanks for sharing your story
November 28th, 2010, 09:32 AM
~Lindsay~'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Wow, what a ton of events! I am glad she is here safe & sound!

November 29th, 2010, 04:43 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Wow, you went through a lot! I'm glad Jocelyn is here safe and sound. I can't wait to see pics.
November 29th, 2010, 04:14 PM
simplycorey's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
What an eventful birth story! Glad she is here safe and sound!

Mom to: Kimberly (15), Caleb (14), Micayla (12),
Zechariah (11) and Frankie - born 1/3/11

December 6th, 2010, 04:10 PM
LJD3Tdance's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to LJD3Tdance Send a message via Yahoo to LJD3Tdance
I'm glad you took charge of everything, congrats! *a visitor

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search