The Arrival of Riley George

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2010 Birth Stories LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
November 30th, 2010, 11:50 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Sorry this is so long. I just wanted to get all the details down so I don't forget, and also so I can put a copy in Riley's baby book.

After a busy four day stretch at work that involved a lot of walking and stair climbing, I had given up any hope that Riley was going to be born before his due date. On Wednesday morning, I went to run some errands. I got to Target around 10:30 and decided I should go to the bathroom before I walked around the store, because (as you pregnant ladies know) I always had to go to the bathroom. I finished up and was standing to hike up my pants over that huge baby belly when I suddenly felt a gush of something warm. I sat back down thinking it was weird but that maybe I wasn't finished going to the bathroom. I spent probably ten minutes in the stall trying to figure out why every time I stood up, I leaked on myself. That's when I decided that maybe, just maybe, it wasn't urine. I called DH from the bathroom, and told him not to get excited, but that I thought something was happening. Needless to say, I left Target and drove the half hour home without even making a purchase.

Once I got home I spent another hour trying to convince myself that my water broke. I was being cautious, because the last thing I wanted was to get excited about having my baby and then get told at the hospital that I was just urinating on myself! I finally gave in and called L&D and DH.

We got to the hospital around 12:30. It was confirmed that my water had broken, and I was starting to have small contractions on my own. I was 1 cm and 80% effaced with Riley's head extremely low. Unfortunately, by 4:00 the contractions had petered out, so the decision was made to start pitocin. With the pitocin, contractions started right away, but it was soon discovered that my uterus was being "dysfunctional," meaning my contractions weren't the traditional spike every few minutes, but instead varied from normal and spaced out to prolonged and one on top of another. I was still dilating, but probably slower than I might have if my uterus were being "functional." The contractions weren't making me uncomfortable, even though they were reading strong on the monitor. My doctor told me that because Riley's head was so low, things could go quickly once I reached 5 cm, and that if I wanted an epidural, I should think about getting it soon. At 7:00, I started getting uncomfortable and decided it was time for the epidural. It went smoothly and was much less scary than I imagined. I could still feel my legs (they just felt heavy) and the pressure from the contractions, but it was enough to take the edge off.

Despite adjustments to the pitocin and placing an internal uterine monitor to get a better reading on the strength of my contractions, they continued to be irregular. Riley started having decelerations which made me upset and worried, and at this point I started to stress and was trying not to cry. (DH told me after Riley was born that at one point his HR was in the 90's, but that he knew better than to tell me.) I told DH that I just wanted everything to be over. I was hot, nauseous and extremely hungry and uncomfortable. My nurse, a 37 year L&D veteran, looked at me and said, "You must be close. You're looking restless." Sure enough, around midnight, I was complete. I was told that I could push if I felt the urge and my doctor was on his way. At that point, I couldn't help pushing whether I wanted to or not, because my body pushed for me. I could feel everything, and was told that my epidural really wouldn't be doing much for me at this point. The doctor arrived at 12:10 and by the time he was gowned and in position, he could see Riley's head starting to show. I pushed for 19 minutes and Riley was born at 12:29 on Thanksgiving Day. Riley was in a hurry to get out, and DH said the doctor had to move quick to catch him, as his head and body were delivered all at once. Thankfully, he cried right away and once he was placed on my belly, all I could think was that I couldn't believe we actually had a baby. It was surreal. He weighed in at 6 lbs, 7 ounces and measured 19 inches long. He had a bit of a cone head and a painful looking bruise due to being so low on my cervix for so long, but it's already improving. I had a second degree tear, but my doctor said it didn't look terrible and should heal up fine. Riley was born at 38 weeks and 1 day gestational age.

We are completely in love!

Last edited by Tiffany8620; November 30th, 2010 at 11:54 AM.
November 30th, 2010, 11:55 AM
lizzy27's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Congratulations!! Glad everything went so well!

November 30th, 2010, 12:59 PM
BabyBee2's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
yay, big congrats!!!

Delaney Nicole 12/6/10
Proud parents Desirae and Chris
November 30th, 2010, 02:18 PM
4seasons's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
That's a great birth story, thanks for sharing! And what a special Thanksgiving!!

November 30th, 2010, 03:15 PM
MoMMy2*Vicky.Hayd.and.K*'s Avatar Expecting #4 :)
Great story! and CONGRATS to u and ur hubby on ur beautiful baby boy!!!! =D

Thank you Jaidynsmum for my Beautiful Siggy!

:

Expecting #4 Can't believe we caught the first egg! ~.*PiNk Baby Dust ViBeS*.~
November 30th, 2010, 04:51 PM
mommy*tired's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
congratulations!
November 30th, 2010, 06:52 PM
jessi0887's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Great story thx for sharing

November 30th, 2010, 08:36 PM
mom2myJo's's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
That is an awesome story, thank you for sharing
December 1st, 2010, 01:22 PM
simplycorey's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
So glad everything went well! Congratulations!

Mom to: Kimberly (15), Caleb (14), Micayla (12),
Zechariah (11) and Frankie - born 1/3/11

December 1st, 2010, 06:04 PM
Mega Super Mommy
What a happy birth story, thanks for sharing .
December 4th, 2010, 02:21 PM
kitkat's Avatar Super Mommy
Congrats! Thanks for sharing!

December 5th, 2010, 11:32 PM
mommy_jackie's Avatar Jaide & Jo's Momma
Congrats!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search