Harlow's birthday

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2010 Birth Stories LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
December 27th, 2010, 04:10 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Here is it!

I went to my doctorís appointment on the afternoon of Thursday, December 16th and found out I could not see my doctor that day because she was called in for an emergency at another hospital. I was extremely disappointed as I was supposed to check in that night to start my induction and would have liked to see the doctor that was going to deliver me. I saw another doctor in my practice (whom I canít stand) and she examined me. I was 2 Ĺ cm dilated and our baby was very low. The other doctor determined that I did not have to be admitted to the hospital that night and told us that we should just arrive at 5 AM the next day to start my induction. She made this determination because I was already dilated and effaced enough to start the induction without cervadil. I wasnít thrilled with this news either, as my doctor had never discussed this option with me. Then, we went in for an ultrasound to determine the babyís weight since she had been measuring pretty big. The tech gave us a guess of 8 pounds 12 ounces. Although it was slightly frightening to hear that weight, I knew we had a bigger baby before that ultrasound and we were still going to give the induction a shot! As we left the ultrasound room, we ran into my doctor in the hallway! She had just made it back from her emergency and went over the appointment with us. She told us she sill wanted us to go to the hospital that night and start the pitocin early in the morning, around 3. So we left the office feeling much better that we got to see our doctor and we were still headed to the hospital that night, which we were ready for!

We drove home from the appointment and walked into our house to a frightening sight. Empty chocolate wrappers. I immediately freaked out and started crying. My dog had gotten into a bunch of Christmas candy I bought that morning. My husband got on the phone with our vet while my mom tried to stop me from hyperventilating and going into labor! I knew it was my fault for leaving the chocolate on the counter where she could get to it and at that moment, I thought she was going to die. We finally decided to go the 24-hour emergency vet and get her stomach pumped. Even though the amount she ate wasnít too dangerous, she would have had diarrhea and we didnít want to come home from the hospital to that mess. My mom also stayed at our house that night to watch over her so I could just relax at the hospital knowing my first-born baby was safe and sound, lol. So, now itís around 7 PM and we still have to get ourselves to the hospital by 9 PM and we havenít even had our last dinner. So, we packed up the car, said goodbye to Leyla the dog, and drove off!!!

Once we got to the hospital, I got my IV line started (after 3 attempts) and they gave me an ambiem to sleep. Around 3 AM, the pitocin was started and I slept soundly until 7 AM or so when the nurses changed shifts. Then, I met who would be my labor nurse, Monique. At first I was like, Oh you are way too chipper lady, but she ended up being awesome. My doctor arrived around 8 AM to break my bag of waters. That went without a hitch. The meds continued to be increased until I was having major contractions back to back. I knew I was headed for an epidural eventually so asked if it would slow down my labor process (which I had heard before). Once I was told it wouldnít slow things down, in fact, it would probably speed things up, since the meds could be increased faster I gave in and said I wanted my epi around 10. By 10:30, I had it in. Not after they missed the epidural space and got a vein first though. When they injected the test medicine, my heart rate went from the 80ís to the 110ís in a matter of seconds. I started to get dizzy almost went out. Since that is the reason why they do a test dosage of meds first, they knew what was going on and that is the moment when Monique and me became best friends. I started crying because it was so scary to have my heart rate speed up like that. This is when she had me leaning up against her chest as the doctor worked on my back. She calmed me back down, wiped my tears away, and they were able to start the epidural in the correct space. Soon enough I had relief from the contractions.

I just spent the next 5 hours or so resting as much as I could to prepare myself for pushing. Around 2:15 I told Dax that I felt the pressure that Monique told me about. He ran out and got her to check me. I was 10 cm and fully effaced, ready to push. She told me to do a practice push. When I did, she quickly told me to stop and not push again or she was going to have to catch the baby! So, now I was in that horrible time period where you have to wait for the doctor to arrive to push. My legs were shaking so badly and the epidural was wearing off so I could feel to push. It was a nerve racking time because I was anxious, feeling more pain, but also encouraged because of my practice push with Monique. I thought maybe I wouldnít have it so bad! After 25 minutes of waiting, the doctor finally arrived and it was time to push. I pushed for 30 minutes and our little miracle baby was born! Harlow Connelly arrived at 3:15 PM, weighted 8 pounds 3.7 ounces and was 20 ĺ inches long. I had to have an episiotomy and tore a little after that so I had to be stitched up. Of course, I didnít feel that at all. The best part was, once they cleaned her up and gave her back to me, everyone left and we got to spend the next 30 minutes marveling at her beauty by ourselves. Dax had prepared a song list on my iphone so we just chilled and got to know our daughter. It was such a peaceful birth, and everything went just the way I would have wanted. There were no stressful moments, it just went without any issues.

Unfortunately I have to add this last part if I am telling the whole story. After the epidural really wore off, I started to feel the soreness in my lower region. It was pretty bad so I told the night shift nurse I was really in pain. She examined me and found a huge cluster of hemorrhoids which have ended up being the most painful part of my daughterís birth. Who would have thought that hemorrhoids and ensuing constipation AFTER birth would be the worst pain I have ever felt in my life? I still am dealing with them 11 days later and probably will for another week or so. Of course, just looking at my daughter makes every ounce of pain worth it.

I look back on everything with such a happy heart. I know lots of women have negative birth experiences and I am so glad that we did not. The hospital staff was amazing from the start and I was able to have the doctor of my choice deliver me whom I had total confidence in. My husband was wonderful and has continued to be wonderful taking care of us both. I cry just thinking about how amazing he already is as a father and husband to me. And my daughter is happy, healthy and thriving with us. We had reached a point after trying for a year to conceive and learning that we were dealing with infertility that we may never be parents. Now, we are holding the most precious perfect little person that is part me and part him. And that is my birth story. Thanks for reading!

LolasMama3 by LoLo's Mama, on Flickr

Thank you Gray's Mama for my awesome siggy!

December 27th, 2010, 04:30 PM
EVY&EGYsMommy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Congrats on your birth!!!!! So happy the induction went well.

December 27th, 2010, 08:18 PM
lizzy27's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Beautiful story! Thanks for sharing.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search