Katherine Elizabeth aka Katie's FULL Birth Story

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2010 Birth Stories LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 18th, 2011, 09:51 AM
SavaAngel's Avatar Mama to AJ & Katie
Send a message via AIM to SavaAngel Send a message via Yahoo to SavaAngel
In between feedings in the hospital, I jotted down notes about what happened during the labor and delivery. Hopefully I didn't forget anything. And I am going to type up the notes as fast as I can before Katie realizes it isn't me holding her again.

This might not have been the birth that I wanted but it wasn't as bad as my son's birth. I am pretty happy with our decisions and how things went.

Arrived at the hospital on December 14th around 5pm CST. Got settled into a room (actual the exact same room I had AJ in), had blood drawn, the IV started and was hooked up to the monitor (baby, contractions, BP, etc). Cervadil was put in around 6:15pm CST. Lots of laying there after that. DH and AJ were there for a bit before Tony took him on to his grandparents. They had dinner and visited a bit before DH came back to sit with me a bit in the evenings. I wasn't allowed to have dinner that night but I managed to get some apple juice. I was allowed that till midnight then all I was allowed was water. I did have some contractions start with the cervadil in and as the night progressed and got closer to morning they got worse. And the wiggle worm (aka Katie) didn't' want to stay on the monitors.

Around 6:15 am CST I had the cervadil removed and used the restroom. Then I had an enema as I was told it COULD help with labor or at the very least prevent/lessen the chance that I pooped during delivery.

Pitocin was started around 7am CST on December 15th. When I was checked around 8am CST I was about 2 cm. My OB planned to break my water around noon.

Contractions were getting harder and harder and I was needing DH to rub my lower back for just about every contraction. The pressure eased the pain. Around 11:30am CST I felt a little pop. I told Tony and the nurse that either my water just broke or I peed myself. The nurse did two swab tests to confirm my water broke and called the OB.

When the OB came to check me around noon I was still between 2-3 cm. Contractions were so hard that I ended up getting the epidural around 12:30 pm CST.

Then I was checked around 3:30pm CST and I was 5 cm, 90-95% effaced and at 0 station. Then it seemed to take forever for change to happen.

My body began wanting to push with every contraction and made it hurt so much more. I had to get some boosters of the epidural for a little more relief.

Finally I got a little rest when my BP started dropping really low and baby was stressed. They ended up stopping the pitocin and the anesthesiologist came in to less the epidural I had. I also had a fever. My OB was concerned that the baby didn't have enough liquid so he pumped some saline solution in there and put a monitor on her head. I was put on oxygen and given a Tylenol suppository for my fever (100.3) and had EKG leads.

When everything was under control I was 7 cm. They started the pitocin back up again at half what it was before and the contractions started back up. My body kept trying to push with each contraction.

My OB ended up explaining what would happen if things didn't progress soon (he was worried about me and baby) and explained why he wouldn't be able to do the bikini incision (my size) etc if a c-section was necessary.

By 7-8pm the contractions were pretty much back to back. Because my body was pushing my cervix was swelling.

Eventually I was9-almost 10 cm and we decided I could start pushing. I could feel Katie coming down and if felt like I was pooping, but because of the enema I wasn't.

Once everything was set up and I was pushing, it took about 5 pushes to get her out. DH had one leg and a nurse had the other. My feet weren't in the stirrups. I am sure it looked real interesting. But it took about 5 pushes (am I told - I don't remember how many it took) to get her out. I felt it all at the end cause the epidural had run out shortly before we began pushing. They started it back up but not very high. I tore a little but the pain hasn't been bad at all.

Nursing is going great. Because of her size they had to do glucose tests before every feeding, but she was doing so well they stopped it well before the 24 hour they had originally said it would be. We do have some latch issues but we will take care of that with the lactation consultant later.

Katherine Elizabeth
December 15, 2010 @ 9:17 pm CST
9 lbs 3.6 oz 20.5 inches long

AJ (age 7) & Katie (age 2.5)
PM to see if I am available to make a siggy - decisions will be made on a case by case basis.

Katie's: BELLY PICS~ U/S PICS

January 24th, 2011, 07:04 AM
hearts.0nfire's Avatar STPR lover
Congrats! Even though it didn't full go how you expected and i'm glad it was good for the most part.

January 24th, 2011, 02:14 PM
EVY&EGYsMommy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I'm so glad she came safely, even if things didn't go exactly the way you wanted.

February 26th, 2011, 08:10 PM
mrsdaiwa24's Avatar Amy, soon-to-be-mama of 2
Popping in from the Sept 10 PR -- I just had to tell you that my little girl is Elisabeth Catherine (although we call her Betsy). Even though it wasn't the birth plan you had imagined, I'm glad that your little Katie arrived safe and sound.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search