We pride ourselves on having the friendliest
and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment
for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers.
If you have any problems registering please drop an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!
As most of you know, my pregnancy had its share of scares. At 29 weeks it was discovered the Caleb had a cyst on his umbilical cord right where it connected to the placenta. We also learned that there was extra fluid around his heart and the amniotic fluid was really low (6cm... 12-20cm being the average for a normal pregnancy). I was high risk and monitored very closely.
On Friday June 10th I went to the perinatologist for my weekly ultra sound. They discovered the my amniotic fluid, which had been at 11 cm on Tuesday, was now at 6cm just 3 days later. Since I was 38 weeks and 6 days the specialist called my OBGYN to see if he wanted to go ahead and induce labor. I waited fully expecting to hear that I would be induced on Monday. It was 3pm Friday and I was sure my OBGYN would want the weekend free. When my specialist came back and told me to head over to L&D for induction I was taking off guard. It hit me that I was having a baby TODAY! All the fear from the nightmare delivery of my DD came rushing back and I just prayed that this induction would go better.
I checked into the hospital at 6pm Friday night. I was trilled to learn that my favorite midwife (Pam) was on call all weekend. I was the only patient there so I had her undivided attention. Pam checked my cervix and determined that it was soft but very high and not at all dilated. She was happy to hear I had been taking the primrose oil and said that might help things in the long run. She rubbed my cervix with Cytotec and inserted a "Seaweed" stick into my cervix. Through out the night this stick would absorb fluid and expand much like a tampon. I settled in and went to sleep.
At 6am Saturday morning Pam checked my cervix and stated that the "stick" had work. My cervix was 1cm dilated. She then inserted a Foley Bulb Catheter and re-rubbed my cervix with Cytotec. I instantly started having contractions. Around 1pm the Foley Bulb fell out...I was at 4cm. By 5 pm I was at 5cm. I decided to make myself comfortable so I gave in and asked for the epidural. I was terrified. With my DD I had asked for an epidural and ended up with a "wet tap". I had a migraine for 5 days and the epidural never took. Pam knew how scared I was of a repeat wet tap so she made some calls. I don't know how she did it but she got the head of anesthesiology to come in to do my epidural. My spine has a slight curve (which I never even knew until he told me) so he had to try 3 times before he found what he called the "Money spot". Pam talked me through the entire thing. The epidural worked perfectly. I could still move my legs, feel pressure in my bum during contractions, I could even feel Caleb move right before each contraction, but I didn't feel the contractions.
At 6pm Pam inserted a heart and contraction monitor vaginally. We had a scare...every time I had a contraction Caleb's cord would get compressed and his heart rate would drop. Pam called my OBGYN and they decide to do an amino infusion to replace the amniotic fluid. This seemed to help. At 8pm I asked to be checked... I had so much pressure. At this point my OBGYN had come in to assist Pam because of the heart rate concerns. Pam checked me and said I was at 6 cm. 20 min later I asked to be rechecked, OBGYN determined I was at a 7. 5 minutes later I was a 10 and told I could push. I pushed through two contractions and over heard the OBGYN say that if Caleb didn't come soon he would have to do an emergency c-section because the heart rate was dropping. I thought "hell no" and on the next contraction I pushed as hard as I could, I heard my sister say "there's his head". I bore down and with the last serge of the contraction and a huge scream (Pam called it my “war cry”) Caleb entered the world.
Pam placed him on my chest seconds later, I held him and cried! I never got to hold my DD until she was a few days old. I asked them to wait a few minutes to weigh him as we lay together. It was a miracle and the birth I had always dreamt of but never thought I'd get.
Caleb Anderson is 100% healthy and weighed in at a mere 6lbs 9oz. He lost some weight and when we were discharged he was 6lbs 4oz. Now we are home and tackling breast feeding. This didn't work with my DD but I'm determined it's going to work this time around. I have a great lactate consultant so with her help I have confidence that Caleb and I can do this.
On a side note, I have a picture of the placenta with the cyst attached if anyone is interested. I know I’m always interested in seeing these types of things…
Congrats hun! I'm glad you received the delivery you wanted and that's awesome that hearing the dr. mention c/s was just what you needed to get that final push and get your son out! What an amazing birth story!