Forum: June, July, August & September 2011 Playroom
Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.
We pride ourselves on having the friendliest
and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment
for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers.
If you have any problems registering please drop an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!
I finally got to see my midwife today...LONG story short was that she had taken a long break and I had seen her student at 12 weeks instead. Today was also the first time I had heard my baby's heartbeat too - tears everywhere!!!
However, I was not keen to use her again because of the complications first time round. She repeatidly told me that ultrasounds were always off at guessing the birth weight - which I am sure they are - and that I could easily have a big baby with no problem. She cancelled some of my appointments the first time round because I had been seeing an OB that she referred me to for my thyroid etc so she felt like I did not need her support as well.......and here an independant midwife is not paid for the pregnancy care after an OB referral and they are not paid for a birth if it ends in a c-section.
I chose to go back because she is the closest to us by far and I had hoped that things had changed. Boy was I wrong. She was late for our appointment, when she finally let me hear the heartbeat, she said she had told me that my baby would be fine (I rang her last week to confirm the appointment and told her of my concern that I had yet to hear the heartbeat and she said I had nothing to worry about) Is she physic???????
She did not ask me how I want to birth this time round but rather proceeded to tell me that because I had my thyroid removed, I would now have a smaller baby and can therefore have a natural birth - WTH?? Does she not realise that I FEAR of having a large baby again. I mean 11lbs 6ozs is nothing to sneeze at and the labour prior to the emergency c-section was utter HELL. We cant be certain that my thyroid was the cause of Zoe's heavy birth weight but she is telling me that all will be fine. If I elect to have a c-section this time, she wont get paid for the birth and I just felt like she was being a sales-person selling me the natural way (nothing against anyone how chooses a VABC!!)
Sorry for the vent but wow.......I only see her almost half-way through the pregnancy and she delt me with that!!! I am thinking of ringing the hospital tomorrow to see if their team of midwives there have space for me. I dont care about the extra travel or having to take a toddler in every time. I know they are paid via the government through salaries so if I ask for a c-section, it wont be a problem. I just feel I should be allowed the choice without being "sold" something due to money.
I agree if you are not happy then switch. I will say that about the HB she may have just wanted to calm your nerves that if you did not have any symptoms of something being wrong, while she may not have gone about it in the best way I believe that may have been her intent. I know nothing about thyroids and birth weights hopefully you have an easier pregnancy this time around and find a supportive provider no matter what your decision is.
Thanks ladies! Have just spoken to the hospital and they are happy to take me on as well as giving me the option of a repeat c-section or not. I will discuss that later with the OB there as I have not made a decision yet....just wanted the option. Yay, I feel like a huge cloud has been lifted.