Jaime's Marathon/Fitness Journey

Mommy Weightloss Journals and Logs

Start your own weightloss journal. Keep track of your weightloss struggles and progress.

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree1Likes

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Mommy Weightloss Journals and Logs LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
August 31st, 2012, 08:16 AM
nurselochia's Avatar Marathon running mom of 4
This past week has NOT been a good week for running for me. I've picked up a few extra shifts, which gets in the way of the evenings I run and since I haven't been sleeping during the day as long as a should, I'm wiped the next day, too. Tonight I hope to be able to get some running in, but we're supposed to start gettting rain today from hurricane Isaac. Go figure. I'm having a hard time with motivation because I've been training for long races all friggin year and I'm getting burned out. But I'm sure next week, when I see September on the calendar and that it's a month away, I'll enter freak out mode like I did last year and really dig in and focus. That confirmation packet they send out will also help with motivation. I've come to terms with the fact that I wasn't able to train like my original plan, but with 4 kids who aren't all in school, working full time and every weekend, and the kids sports, I just didn't have the time I hoped. So I'm a peace with just finishing faster than last year and running(walking some I'm sure) a better marathon. This year I know what to expect, I know that I need to start out running slow...I need to feel like I could run faster that first 13 miles but if I want to finish strong(and running across the line), I need to pace myself. I think I am going to find a pace team and stick with them to help me pace myself slower. So this year I have a plan, I have trained all year, I'm in better shape overall so it will be just fine. Just not super fast, but you know, there are millions of people who will never run a marathon.

Thanks Jaidynsmum!!

August 31st, 2012, 02:27 PM
pearlica's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Awesome attitude and just think about the atmosphere on race day. No one cares how fast you actually are, they are cheering you on for the fact that you are running a freaking marathon! It will be exhausting and fun!! I love the energy at the start line, the funny signs people make along the way. The random bits of conversation you have with people or that you hear and then the awesome feeling of crossing the line.
September 7th, 2012, 08:54 AM
I managed to get some good trail running in this week. I didn't take my phone, so I don't really know how many miles, but I ran for 1.5 hours twice this week. I had planned on a 20miler today, but it's raining/storming so that's not gonna happen. Next week Im planning on taking the 2 little kids to the sitter so I can get that long run in. My usual route is a country block and it's a little more than 4 miles around, so my plan is to just run laps and stop at the house after each lap for water. I can also shorten that run down to 3 miles if I feel like I need to hydrate more often. I did that last year and managed a 17miler, it was boring running laps, but it got the job done. I just can't believe in 1 month, its marathon time agan!!

Thanks Jaidynsmum!!

September 12th, 2012, 08:13 AM
Hows the running going this week? I've been crazy busy with work and havent had a chance to run at all. I get back home tonight so I need to get back on track then. In terms of water for long runs I bought a camelbak water backpack and LOVE it! I can pack all the water I need for 3+ hours and then just run wherever and not worry. It's super comfortable, light and I think it was $40 online. Just a thought if you dont want to run in a loop
September 17th, 2012, 03:33 PM
I might have to buy a camelback. I bought a hydration belt last year, but it collects dust in a closet. i don't know why I bought it because I have always HATED things around my waist. Yeah, and the running loops thing kinda blows. I did manage to get in an 18 mile run last Thursday. My sister got married out of state, so I haven't run since and I ate horribly. But I got the 18 miler done. It was a major reality check for me. I thought I could do another 3 mile loop, or just an out and back down the road for the last 2 miles, but I just couldn't bear the thought of another 2 miles. So I didn't go. It was hot, painful, but part of it was I ran at the wrong time of day. I did get my confirmation packet in the mail and so that was a HUGE motivation to get in one more long run before tapering back.

Thanks Jaidynsmum!!

September 19th, 2012, 06:46 AM
Today is the last week of long runs. i can't believe in less than 3 weeks, I'm running marathon #2. Today Im heading out for another run, somewhere between 16-20 depending on how I feel. The weather is beautiful for running, much cooler than last week so I think today will be a better run than last week, I hope. So after the buses have dropped all the kids off at school, I'm heading out for another round of country block loops. I also need to start thinking about what I'm going to pack. I have no idea what the weather will be like, and I'm down to my last 2 gel packs so a trip to the cycle/running shop is in order. If it could be like it is today...high 50's/low 60s to start out with highs of 70, that would be perfect for M-day! I also got my confirmation packet in the mail this week. Just like last year, that was a major motivation for me to get in these last runs. This year they are doing a different corral system. They had 4 seeded starts and then an open corral last year. This year they have corrals A-M. I had signed up to be in M corral based on my estimated finish time, and because the 2 of the 3 other girls who signed up with me wanted that corral. But, they placed me in "L", I'm guessing maybe because I ran it last year and maybe "M" was full? Heck, I don't know, anyway, we figure we're still all toward the back and I'm not concerned with not being able to find them after the finish.

Got my run in and did another 18. I felt better physically today but I really struggled mentally. I could have and should have don 2 more miles but it was all I could do to keep going after mile 13. But I got 18 done, better than nothing. And it's my last really long run before M-Day. I'm still planning a couple 8-10 mile runs and the smaller 3-5 mile runs when I can fit those in, but really, there's not much time left. Only 17 days! So maybe I can get another run in Friday, and then I just have the following week for running and then that last week before I don't do much running at all and carb load. It's getting down to the wire!

Thanks Jaidynsmum!!

Last edited by nurselochia; September 19th, 2012 at 11:02 AM.
September 27th, 2012, 08:08 AM
9 days. I'm tapering now, but I don't know if tapering really counts with the lack of training Ive done lol. I did an aweseom 4 mile run yesterday and it really felt good. Those are pretty easy runs for me anyway but this one just really felt great. I felt strong, fast and could have kept on going at that pace. I wish I would have kept track of my time because DH was surprised when I got back so quickly and I just felt fast. Guess that's what happens when your last big run was 18 miles lol. I'm heading to the running store today to get my last minute supplies for the marathon. Gels, probably a new pair of socks and I just might treat myself to some new running clothes. I wish I knew what the weather was going to be like. upper 60's would be perfect. Right now the forecast only goes until the day before the race and the high is expected to be 65. Hopefully that's about what it is race day.

Thanks Jaidynsmum!!

September 28th, 2012, 11:05 AM
I decided to go for a run last night because the weather was perfect and I noticed the leaves are starting to change. So I mapped out a nice scenic 8 mile run. It felt great. I ran a different route and there were a few big hills, lots of trees and it was just a nice run. Managed to do a 10:45 pace even with the hills and DH brought me water halfway through and I forgot to pause my runkeeper. Now I'm actually going to taper. I may do a couple 1-3 mile runs but with my work schedule, it's also possible I don't run at all until the marathon.

Thanks Jaidynsmum!!

October 3rd, 2012, 06:30 PM
Bag is packed. I'm as ready as I'm ever going to be!

Thanks Jaidynsmum!!

October 4th, 2012, 09:24 PM
Eek...starting to get nervous and even more excited!!
October 8th, 2012, 09:13 AM
And I finished and much faster than I thought ever possible with my training! It was a cold one compared to last year, probably upper 30's before the start but it ended up being upper 40/lower 50's throughout the race, which was perfect. I was in corral "L" and decided to just hang with the 5:10 pace team to keep my pace slow at the beginning. I knew I'd never be able to run the entire thing so I just thought I'd stick with them while I could and then manage on my own from that point. It was a perfect pace, I felt I could have run faster but I knew if I did at the start, I'd pay for it in the end, like last year. I felt great, talked with some of the others in the pace team and was really enjoying the experience. At mile 6, on runner said "ok, we'll see each other when we finish together" and we talked for a bit. It was fun, it was like it was a group run of friends, instead of a solo experience. We laughed at mile 13.1 and said "That last 13.1 was so great, lets do another!" It was fun like that. I actually felt great up until mile 21, by then my feet were getting sore and my muscles in my right leg were feeling a bit tight. But I figured I'd run the entire way and I figured I ought to power through to the end with this pace team. I made it to mile 23, and my calf and hamstring in my right leg started cramping so I had walk a bit to stretch them out, but was able to run again. I maybe walked a total of 1/2 a mile in short stretches but I still managed to finish right behind my pace team. And the girl I talked to at mile 6? Lost track of her at mile 23 but somehow we crossed that beautiful finish line together. My official time is 5:12:21. I would have been happy just beating my slow time of 6:07 last year so I'm incredibly happy! That pace team did wonders for me. I owe them a lot for keeping my pace slow and steady when I would have gone out too fast and for keeping me motivated. The conversations were interesting...one had run 15 marathons as a pacer, another girl was using this marathon as a training run for the Ironman. It was a great experience. I am soooo sore today though. I think I tore a few muscle fibers in my right hamstring pushing through at the end, and my whole body is sore...my feet, legs, torso, shoulders and moving is slow going, stairs are like mount everest lol. But it's a good feeling, knowing I actually "ran" the marathon and finished much faster than I ever thought possible with my lack of training. It feels great!!

Thanks Jaidynsmum!!

October 8th, 2012, 01:33 PM
Congrats Jamie!! What an awesome time. Hooray for taking almost a full hour off your last time!! Glad you had such a great race. I am so not able to bend my legs today!
October 20th, 2012, 09:57 AM
Yesterday I went for my first run after the marathon. What blows my mind is that it's been almost 2 weeks, but I can tell my body is still recovering. I did just a little 4.25 mile run and by the end, my hamstring was a bit sore, but it wasn't too bad. It wasn't a horrible run, but it wasn't super easy. Part of it could be I haven't run for almost 2 weeks too. My next race is just a little 5K back in my hometown, then I'm planning on a half marathon trail run through a large park that I grew up near. Then I'll probablydo another half at the end of April...possibly toying with the idea of doing the full. Yup, that's right, even though I said I'd probably not run another full marathon, I probably will. It's like an addiction. This last marathon was actually a lot of fun and a great experience. I've realized that I may say "no more" but right now I'm already thinking about the next one. I'm still debating though. If I can just keep up the running through the winter months, I should be in better shape for it than I was for this last one. But we'll see. I may change my mind completely once it starts getting really cold and snowy, I may decide I don't want to spend hours outside running in the cold.

Thanks Jaidynsmum!!

October 20th, 2012, 06:23 PM
I was surprised how sore I was first run post marathon as well. My knee was still bugging me so I took it really easy. I already want to run another full as well. Even though when I crossed the line I said never again...lol. But you think of so many ways to improve that you cant wait to go do it again!
November 29th, 2012, 04:31 PM
Ah, and I did just what I did last year after the marathon...got lazy. I've only run I think 3 or 4 times since the marathon. Part of it is just it is getting dark so early, plus life has been busy and I've been lazy. And you can see the results of that unfortunately. So I need to really, really get my butt in gear and start back on being healthy. The number on the scale I'm not worried about, I just want to look and feel good. I had done fairly well a year ago on trimming up the muffin, but it's back. I almost hate to post these pics because I look like I did when I was about 16 weeks pregnant with my 4th, but it will motivate me and keep my encouraged to see it coming off. So here we go, day 1.

Thanks Jaidynsmum!!

December 6th, 2012, 10:01 AM
Ran my first race post-marathon this past Saturday. It was just a small 5K race in memory of a dad of a HS schoolmate. I went mainly because it was in my hometown and I could go visit my folks while I was there. I just ran at my usual slow pace, not trying to really compete and it ws fun. My time was 29:47 and after running a marathon, I felt like I had just started when I was crossing the finish line lol. I suppose I could have tried to run faster, but it was just fun to get out and run in my old stomping ground you could say. Haven't run since, and it may be sporadic that I'm able to get out.

Thanks Jaidynsmum!!

February 19th, 2013, 07:00 PM
The breast feeding seemed to really take off the lbs for me, but running really finished the job with my first baby
March 21st, 2013, 02:44 PM
So I decided that 2013 is the year of 2 marathons. And the first is coming up on April 27. So far, training has been going ok. It's been a pretty cold year so far and I loathe running in the cold. Long run last week was 17 miles, hoping to get in 18-19 miles this week, and 20 miles next week. It's been tough, but this year I'm running with someone. I've never run "with" someone before, but it has made the long training runs a bit more bearable. A little more than a month and I'll be running marathon #3. Yikes!

Thanks Jaidynsmum!!

April 10th, 2013, 06:46 AM
Wow, big slacker on updating my journal...time for an entry
Training has been going pretty well. I actually feel more prepared for this marathon then the one I ran last year. My training partner and I got a 16 mile run in 2 weeks ago, a 20 miler last week and now we are tapering. I've even managed to get out for some semi long runs of 8 miles once a week for the last 3, and a few 6 milers. And I feel pretty good during the runs, and it doesn't take long to recover. The only reason I'm running this marathon is to run with my friend, because it will be her first. My natural pace when I run is about a 10:30 mile and we've been training at about an 11:45 minute mile. The marathon in October, we plan on working on increasing the pace and running at my pace (which I can't hold for more than 10 miles) So goal is to just finish this marathon, although I think I could finish in under 5 hours if running alone. October marathon goal is definitely under 5 hours. I've felt great during training, so I'm confident this will be good. My training partner, however, is dealing with IT band syndrome and it's really slowing her down. She's a tough cookie, but the pain slows her down and she has to stop and walk. Our 16 mile run 2 weeks ago was supposed to be 18-19, but she was in too much pain. Last week wasn't so bad, but by the end she was still hurting. My concern is mainly that she doesn't hurt herself running the marathon and have an even bigger injury. Secondly, and selfishly, I'm worried about the last 6 miles. I know why we've had to stop and walk during training, but come marathon day, if I were to stop and walk much after mile 20, I know that if I try to run again, it wouldn't happen. You have to just keep running because stopping hurts worse than running. So we'll see what happens. Since we're tapering, maybe that will give that IT band the rest it needs and she'll be good to go race day. I can't imagine dealing with that IT band pain on top of the normal aches/pains of running a marathon. We'll see! 16 days!!
jhmomofmany likes this.

Thanks Jaidynsmum!!

April 13th, 2013, 07:30 AM
Two weeks. All I can really say is there are only 2 weeks left until M-day. I am really taking this tapering to an extreme. I haven't run all week. Wasn't my intention, but that's what happened. I worked extra this week because it was a madhouse at work, and 12 hour shifts really take up your entire day. I was exhausted Wednesday, had too much going on Thursday and didn't feel well yesterday. I'd run today, but no sitter for the kids. Oh well. I can get a few smaller runs in next week. Seems like not too long ago there were 100 days until the marathon. It's really come up quick!

Thanks Jaidynsmum!!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search