Jaime's Marathon/Fitness Journey

Mommy Weightloss Journals and Logs

Start your own weightloss journal. Keep track of your weightloss struggles and progress.

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree1Likes

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Mommy Weightloss Journals and Logs LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 17th, 2013, 07:53 AM
nurselochia's Avatar Marathon running mom of 4
9 days left, not that I'm counting or anything. This is the last week of running. next week, I probably won't run at all...1-2 miles at most to just get the itch out of my legs from not running. Yesterday I did a quick 3 mile run, more as a wayto pay tribute to those affected at the Boston Marathon. As a runner, I almost take this personal...innocent spectators were injured and killed. And that 8 y.o. boy that died...he was there with his mom and sister, cheering his dad on to the finish when some evil person took his life with a bomb. It's so senseless and it just hits too close to home: my two oldest children are 8 & 9. This upcoming marathon will be the first time I am allowing them to come to see me run a marathon. Chicago is just too huge and I'd be afraid they'd get lost, but this one is much smaller and i figured they could just be at the finish. They are very excited...probably just like that little boy was to see his dad. At first, I almost changed my mind about allowing them at the finish. But I can't & won't live in fear. The likelihood of something happening is incredibly small. So they will be there at the finish. And it makes me want to run more. My running partner and I are planning on wearing blue and yellow ribbons in honor of Boston. And I'm hoping to be able to find a bondiband that has something on it. (It's my tradition to buy a new bondiband at each marathon expo). Doesn't really mean much, but I just feel as a runner, I want to remember. As runners, we all stand together. So 9 more days....

We run. Not out of fear...but out of freedom.

Thanks Jaidynsmum!!

Last edited by nurselochia; April 19th, 2013 at 07:56 AM.
April 28th, 2013, 08:15 AM
And marathon 3 is done. It went pretty well. It was a much smaller marathon than I have run before, so that crowd support I rely on so much wasn't there quite as much. I had hoped my running partners leg would be much better, that it wouldn't cause her any problem during the race. I found out later her physical therapist didn't think she'd be able to finish and didn't think she should have even tried running it. We decided to sign up with a pace team so there would be a group of people to run with and to keep us at a slow pace. This was her marathon, and her main goal was to just finish but we trained at an 11:30 pace, so we were planning to follow the 5 hour pace team, 11:27 minute mile. We start, we feel good, and I feel like we are running faster than what we should but figured it was just the adrenaline of the start. Five miles in, my partner looks at her watch and we realize that even though we were following a group that said they were running 11:27...we were running a 10 minute mile. Way too fast for us to hold for the full marathon because we didn't train at that pace. We decide to slow down, but I suspect we were still running too fast. I felt good though. At mile 11, she starts having problems with her IT band at her knee and hip and I knew then it was going to get really ugly. She probably should have just cut it off at the half, like a couple of my hardcore marathon friends did when they weren't feeling great, but she wanted to keep going. I really felt I trained the best I ever had, I felt great, and I'm pretty positive I could have finished in 5 hours or a little less. We get to mile 15 and things get really ugly for her. From that point on, it was a lot of walking, a little bit of slow jogging. Part of me wanted to be able to take off and run, but I didn't want to leave her. I'll admit, part of me was a little mad...I felt fine, wanted to run, didn't want to walk, and this could have been a marathon I PR'd in. We continued on, at the back of the pack until mile 23. I was tired, my feet and knees were killing me from the slow little bit of jogging and all the walking. She insisted that I go on so I did...I ran and finished strong. I do feel guilty I left her, but I did stay with her for most of the marathon. After finishing and gettting my shoes off, I decided I was ok with how it ended. I wouldn't have even run the marathon had she not talked me into it back in January. This was her first, and regardless of how it got done, we finished a marathon. Something has to be different come October though. I'm hoping the month off of training will help her leg not bother her at all. While I'm ok with walking a lot of this marathon (even though I felt great) I do NOT want to walk in october. I want to be able to run at a slightly faster pace, to finish under 5 hours. And I think for that one, we will have to just say that if one of us feels better than the other, because this isn't either one of our first marathons, that we have the freedom to go. But, we did it! It feels good...well, I'm pretty darn sore, but not too horrible. I'll have to post pictures later.

Thanks Jaidynsmum!!

June 10th, 2013, 03:58 PM
And it begins...again! Today started training for Marathon #4. This marathon is totally for me. Last marathon I ran with my running partner and stayed with her to help motivate her to finish. This one I plan on running my race and I'm hoping to get in under 5 hours. I think I can do it, and I don't care if I finish 4:59:59...I just want to see that 4 hour number My biggest struggle with training for a fall marathon is summer schedule. Every night this month we have a baseball game...at 6pm and they last 2 hours, making it hard to get in a long run. I can't get up and do early morning runs because I can't leave the kids alone and DH leaves for work so early, and it's too flippin hot to run during the day with the sun beating down. So I have to be creative this month. July is easier because our schedule is free and I enjoy evening long runs...however my running partner does not. August...football/cheerleading starts and until September, it's busy again with practices in the evenings. And then it's 1 month away from the marathon. It worked out the last couple years so I'm sure it will be fine. I just think it will be more solo training than the spring marathon. This morning after work, I met up with my training partner and we did a quick 3 miles. We plan on another run after I get off work tomorrow morning...hopefully Im not too exhausted to get in 4-6 miles. Then I'm hoping I can figure out a time to get in a longer run, somewhere around 8-10 miles. After this marathon, I doubt I run another for awhile because there are other types of runs I want to do, like a Ragnar relay, I still might try a Tough Mudder. We'll see. I am planning on running the half marathon in August I've run the last several years as a good training run and to see how on pace I am with my goal time for the October Marathon.

Thanks Jaidynsmum!!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search