Jaime's Marathon/Fitness Journey

Mommy Weightloss Journals and Logs

Start your own weightloss journal. Keep track of your weightloss struggles and progress.

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree1Likes

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Mommy Weightloss Journals and Logs LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
February 15th, 2012, 06:10 AM
nurselochia's Avatar Marathon running mom of 4
I've decided to keep track of my fitness/running here instead of on my old PR because it just makes more sense. So since I don't know how to move it from there to here, I'm just supplying the link and I'll update from here.

Anyway, Ive been picking up the mileage the last couple weeks, not outside but running at this indoor track. The downside is it takes 13 laps to complete a mile, which sucks. I did around 10 miles the other day, and I realized I just can't do that on a small indoor track. Too much stress on the inside leg. So I've got a mile overuse injury in my right leg I'm pretty sure so this week I'm backing off...and running outside. I did an easy pace 5K, just to get out and run. My right knee and down my shin started to bother me with about a half mile left but not too bad. Today I'll do another slow 3 miles, and next week if my leg is feeling normal again, I'll get back to training. But I do have plenty of time before the half marathon in April.

http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f1631-skinny-witches/

2290585-jaimes-marathon-journey-updated-pics-11-9-a.html
Ok, so I am officially battling the bulge now...I must lose this extra flab! On delivery day, I was up to 188, only got down to 175 by December, but as of today, I'm down to 165 and kinda stuck. I can wear my pre-preggo jeans, but they are like leggings and give me a nasty muffin top. I love my old jeans, and I want to wear them...and look good again.

weight: 165
exercise: ran/walk 1.5 miles before picking kids up from the bus, then walked home (they get dropped off at the sitters, even when I'm home...bus will only drop off at one place) . wasn't the greatest run, but I have to start somewhere

Ok, now here's the painful part....pics. Ugh, it could be worse, but could be better. These are my favorite jeans that used to fit good, I didn't have a muffin top and I wore them around my hips...not up as high as I am now to help prevent even worse muffin top.

Ok, this is the least painful

This view is the worst, and this is why I must lose weight and tone. And I just noticed that it looks like I'm grabbing one of the ladies:

4/5/2011
Today was beautiful out, so I decided I needed to get my arse out there and run. I was also a bit upset with the whole breastfeeding/formula thing going on, so it was an upset run, which are always good for me. I used to tell DH to tick me off before my races so I'd run better! LOL! I ran 2 miles, onlyhad to walk a very short distance 3 times, just to catch my breath, then I pushed ahead. My muscles (and lungs) were burning when I got home, but it felt awesome! I guess I forgot how much I like pushing myself and how great it feels to "feel the burn"!

4/7/2011
Went running again yesterday and it wasn't too bad. I walked twice and actually passed up someone else who was out running, so that felt good...fed into my competitive side. If I can keep this up, I may try my old route next week! It's a run out into the country and its 5K exactly. Once I get out there, there isn't any way to get back but to finish it. It was quite nice when I was running those 5K races 2 summers ago

OMG, I just can't seem to get myself out to run like I want to. It just seems like there is something getting in the way, like homework, dinner, dr appt, etc. Things that have to get done, but then I don't get my run in. As soon as Caleb wakes up here soon, I'm going to go run. It'bs sunny and fairly warm so I'm going to take full advantage of it. I am going to run my old route of 3 miles. Well, run/walk, but I"m going to get the distance in one way or another!

Decided I needed some more motivation to run...as in a goal to be ready by, so I'm signing up for my first 5K! It's here in the town I live in, during the town's festival May 21st I believe is the date. It's the first time they've had a 5K for Hey-days, so I figure it was a sign I need to do it! So that gives me a month to get ready! Eek! But, that's what it took after baby #3...had to sign up for the race and be committed to get my arse out there! I also looked to see when the annual running clubs Park to Park 5 miler that's always held July4th, and I'm very bummed to see it is on a Monday. I have to work Sunday nights, and I can't run 5 miles after a 12 hour shift. And with how my job requirements are with working weekends for premium pay, I can't even have anyone work for me. I could for 4 hours, but that wouldn't help. I ran it 2 years ago and it's such a fun race. Oh well, anyway, I've got a goal, I'm committed to run this race so now the tough work begins!!

4-20-2011
I signed up for a half marathon on August 20th!!! I've paid and everything, so I'm committed! I will be running 13.1 miles this fall! Holy crap! The last time I signed up for a half, it was a week before I found out I was pregnant with Caleb. I was SURE I wasn't pregnant that cycle, so I figured we'd wait for a few months until I ran the half, then we'd start trying again, but alas, I was 15 weeks on race day and didn't want to chance it. But this time, that won't be an issue. I'm going to do that first 5K at the end of May, maybe try to get a 10K in in July since I can't do the 5mile Park to Park but regardless, August 20, 2011, I will be running my first half marathon!!!!

4-28-11
So far, training is going ok. It's been rainy/stormy here so not great weather for getting a run in. I did figure out my training schedule. I've got a 12 week program to build my miles up that I will start the last week of may. Until then, I'm giong to work my butt off to try and get my endurance up to at least 3 miles. Most training programs have you doing your long run on Sat, but I can't do that with my work schedule. So Mondays I do my easy run or cross-training, tuesday will be my day for my long run, Wed will be 2-5 miles, thursday is either rest/cross-training, fri is another 2-5 mile day, Sat is rest/cross-training and Sunday is my rest day. I work Mon nights so I figured Tuesday would be the only day I could get the long runs in b/c the kids will be at the sitter. I'm going to do a 5K on 5-22, probably another 5K sometime this summer, and instead of a long run a week before the race, I'm going to run a 10K in DH's hometown.

Thanks Jaidynsmum!!

Last edited by nurselochia; July 26th, 2012 at 07:56 AM.
February 22nd, 2012, 08:31 AM
At the end of last week, I did 4 miles on the elliptical to change things up a bit. Felt pretty good, don't think I've ever used an elliptical before so that was different. Didn't hurt my leg and I got a pretty good core work-out. Sunday was nice outside, so I ran a nice easy 4 miles. My leg was just a tad sore the first few paces, but then it was fine. It is in fact an IT band injury that I'm sporting, but it's much better since I've just done a couple easy runs. The bad thing is it starts bothering me when I start trying to work on speed. I don't have any aspirations to being one of those elite marathon runners, but I would like to do my half marathon in just a little over 2 hours, and a 5hr marathon would be nice, but I have to be able to work on speed a little. I guess I have plenty of time. I'll get my mileage up, I'm almost there already, and maybe I'll very slowly start working on speed.

Thanks Jaidynsmum!!

March 30th, 2012, 06:27 PM
Over the last month, I've had 2 minor overuse injuries. Nothing serious enough to sideline me, but enough that I have been taking it easy. My IT band seems to be fine now with regular stretching, but my left knee started giving me fits. So I talked with my old college roommie, who is a physical therapist, and she said my patella isn't midline on that knee. She did some tests to make sure my tendons and ligaments were ok, and they are, so she told me to just tape it so that it supports the patella and helps keep it midline, and then she asked about how I stretch before running. I had to admit I don't really stretch, so after a good lecture which I deserved lol, Ive been trying to get back into gear. Unfortunately, the half marathon is in less than a month and the farthest I've run since January is 6 miles. I'm in trouble. I'm never going to be ready in time and I had really hoped to beat my time of 2:25, hoping to come in closer to 2:10. Oh well. It's more important that I take care of my joints and be ready for the Chicago Marathon in October. I did run this week, a couple 4+ milers and then a 5K tonight. I really need to try to get a good 10 miler in at the very least before April 28th.

Thanks Jaidynsmum!!

April 10th, 2012, 12:20 PM
Last week was a pretty good training week for me. I intended to go out for an 8 mile run on Tuesday, but that didn't happen. I did get in a good almost 4 miler so even though it wasn't 8, it was something. My knees and IT band just give me fits sometimes, so I was doing some reading up on correct running form and found a ton of information on midfoot/forefoot strike vs heel strike. I am a heel striker runner and after watching a frame by frame video of what happens with the joints, it now makes sense why my legs hurt. What's frustrating is I remember back in HS, I used to run on my forefeet...and my HS track coach told me I was doing it wrong and spent 2 weeks 'correcting' my form. I remember how awkward it was...and about that time my times got slower. So I decided to try working on that. I wasn't thinking clearly about what that would mean for my calves, using those muscles in a different way than I had been running. But I went for an almost 7 mile run, worked on my form and felt fantastic! I ran 6.75 miles in 1:05! Much faster than I ever run and after a bit, I didn't feel like I was prancing so much and it did feel much better on my joints, my knees didn't ache...I was pleased. The next day my calves were kinda sore, but I went out for a 5K run...and realized I probably should have trained my muscles a bit slower because my calves were very tight. By Saturday, I had to walk down the stairs backwards because they were so sore. They're still a bit sore today but better. I will be running my old form until after my half marathon because I don't think I have enough time to train those muscles before running 13.1 miles.

This week I hope to get in a 10 mile run along with a couple shorter distance runs.

Thanks Jaidynsmum!!

April 22nd, 2012, 03:08 PM
Ran my first "official" 10K race this morning after work. Time was 1:02:18. I'm very happy with my time, especially considering it was after a 12hour nightshift.

It was a pretty small race and the course was very odd. It wound all through the college campus and they had the 5K runners going one way, the 10K going another. Then we were supposed to follow the 5K route after we went this other direction. It was not organized at all. They needed more people, more obvious ways to direct people. I had to stop and try to figure out which way I was supposed to go a couple times. It was frustrating but I always managed to choose well. I borrowed my friends garmin (LOVED IT! I must get one lol!) and the route was 10K so I know I did the right distance. Others did not. I was well ahead of 3 groups of people, no one ever passed me and towards the end, these 3 groups that I knew were behind me were suddenly headed toward the finish when we had another loop to run...they completely missed probably a full mile of the route. So I'm sure they saw their time and thought "Dang! I ran fast!" But they didn't run the entire thing. Oh well, it was a small race, I got my appetite for racing back and I'm not quite so worried about my half marathon on Saturday.

Thanks Jaidynsmum!!

July 26th, 2012, 07:47 AM
Long time, no entry. Since then, I did in fact run a half marathon in April and did pretty well, took (if I remember right) about 10-15 minutes off my last half marathon time. I ran the entire thing, except for the water stops, but I don't consider that as walking. I'm not coordinated enough to run and drink. Heck, I have a hard time walking and drinking water during a race. Anyway, training for the full marathon has been hard. There aren't enough hours in the day with the kids activities, my schedule, DH's schedule. Plus it's been 100+ degrees here a lot of the time. So dangerous running temps. But, I only have 72 days until the marathon. I need to quit making excuses and run what I can. I did run about 2-3 miles after work Monday and Tuesday and I'm planning a long run tonight since it's only getting up to 90 today. I'm signed up for half marathon #3 in a month, I'll probably do a 10K here in a couple weeks and then the next race is the marathon. i'm freaking out, because this time around, I KNOW what it's like to run that far. I KNOW how tough it it, I KNOW how hard it is to tell yourself to keep going when you mind says stop and your muscles are cramping up and rebelling. But I also know how sweet it is to see that 25mile marker and know you will make it. How sweet it is to see that finish line, to hear the crowd and that feeling of accomplishment as you cross the line and they put the finishers medal around your neck. That's what I have to remember...the end result. It won't be easy, but it will be worth it!

Thanks Jaidynsmum!!

August 7th, 2012, 01:13 PM
Training has been going pretty well the last couple weeks. DH and I figured out what works for us for getting me out and running 3 days a week these last few weeks before the marathon. Two weeks ago, I ran 3 miles 2 days and then got in 10 miles. Last week, I ran a little more than 7 miles Tuesday, 3 miles on Wednesday and then did a 14+ mile run Thursday. I ran with a friend who actually slowed me down a bit on the long run but I appreciated the company. After the first 4 miles, i felt pretty good. Afterwards, my legs were sore and my back and shoulders just ached. I couldn't get comfortble that night, but felt fine the next day. This week, I'm planning on doing 8 miles today, 3 tomorrow, the 14+ mile run Thursday and I'm running either a 5K or a 10K race Saturday, depending on how I feel that morning.

Thanks Jaidynsmum!!

August 9th, 2012, 02:13 AM
According to recent research, water and green tea is the best way to lose your weight. I took 8 to 12 glasses of water gradually and 2 to 3 times cup of tea in a day. And now i feel much difference in my weight.
August 13th, 2012, 06:22 AM
Training last week was so-so. I did 7.25 mile on Tuesday, only 9 miles on Thursday because I just didn't want to run. I didn't want to run when I stepped out the door and even the beautiful weather and seeing a momma doe and her 2 fawns didn't help. So I stopped at 9 instead of 14. I did run a 10K on Saturday, did 1:01:59. Would have been better if I hadn't developed a case of, ahem, runner GI problems, thanks to a few beers at the beer tent with my SIL. Oh well, I recovered and considering it was a painful run only b/c of my gut, I'm happy with the result. This Saturday is my 3rd half marathon. So this week I'm doing a long run, except for the race. My main goal is to just feel like I could keep running when I cross the finish line. 54 days to go. Eek!

Thanks Jaidynsmum!!

August 13th, 2012, 07:46 PM
pearlica's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I ran my last 10k after a few drinks the night before...it was not fun! dehydration and running do not mix Are you following a specific training plan for your full?
August 14th, 2012, 05:56 AM
No specific plan. I initially planned on doing Hal Higdon's Marathon 3 because I thought 20 weeks and only 3 days of running would work better with my/kids schedule, but it just didn't work that way. Between evening activities, heat, etc, I gave up on a structured plan and I'm just trying to get in my long runs and after running my first last year, I HAVE to get in at least one 20 mile run, even if it means walking some of it. The last 4 weeks I think, I've been pretty good with the long runs, so far only up to 14 miles, but DH and I now have a good system worked out: long runs on Thursdays and he brings me water every so often. Im not fast...my initial goal was to run it in 5 hours or less, with no walking, but once reality set in with my poor training, I just hope to run it in less than 6 hours. Once all my kids are in school, I'm going to try for that time goal...and do a spring marathon instead of fall.

Thanks Jaidynsmum!!

August 14th, 2012, 06:17 PM
That's awesome that they are on the same day! I cant follow a strict schedule either due to my work schedule and family time. I do one long run on the weekends and then I usually get 3 other weekly runs in. They are usually during work hours though so they are between 3.5 and 4.5 miles. I just cant fit another long run in. I ran my last half-marathon at 2:06 and it was quite hilly so I was hoping to do the full around 4:30 (its a much flatter course) anything under 5 though I would be happy with.

I love running half marathons and my goal is beat 2hrs. Not sure if I will get the bug for full's but I wanted to at least do one...cross it off my bucket list
August 18th, 2012, 11:58 AM
My 3rd half marathon was this morning and I'm glad it's over. This is only my 3rd half, but second time running this course and I've got to say, I'm not a fan. There are 3 big hills between mile 12 and 13...painful! I really hoped the race would have been better, but it wasn't horrible. I don't know official time but I think it will be 2:23 based on the clock when I crossed the line. Not my best, but not my worst. I am a bit worried now about doing the full in just a few weeks. Im trying to tell myself that it was worse last year, my half time was much slower, I hadn't been running as much and I still managed to finish. But this just isnt' how I wanted marathon #2 to go. Plus now I know what lies ahead. I've got a lot of work to do between now and october if I don't want to torture myself.

Thanks Jaidynsmum!!

August 18th, 2012, 01:05 PM
Hills at the end is totally not fair Dont let the race shake your confidence. We are going to train as much as possible and rock it out in October!!
August 22nd, 2012, 06:05 AM
Last night while the big 2 kids were at practice and after DH got home, I went out to the park and ran until their practice was over. Claras ends at 7:30, Jacob's at 8:00 and I was only able to run for about 35 minutes. I did manage to get in 3.5 miles on the trails. It was a nice change in terrain for my joints...softer, a little bumpy and I have to really pay attention to the ground so I don't step in a hole and twist my ankle, or step on a walnut and fall on my butt like I did last year. DH was surprised I even ran. He said to me before I left "aren't you still sore?" and surprisingly, no, my legs aren't sore at all from the half marathon. I reminded him that I have done longer runs and that I have, what, maybe 6 weeks left? I'm getting there. I talked with one of my coworkers that I talked into running it and she said she hadn't run anything more than 10 miles, and that was back in June. So Im ahead of the game in that respect I guess.

Thanks Jaidynsmum!!

August 22nd, 2012, 06:13 AM
Felt like motivating myself so Im reposting my marathon story from last year...I need to remind myself why I'm doing it again Feeling much better about it, I was no where near as prepared last year as I am this year, and while it won't be exactly what I had planned when I signed up in February, it will still be an amazing, challenging, hard and rewarding experience!

(entry from October 20, 2011)
I did it! I finished the marathon! What a fantastic experience! I'm still enjoying the feeling that I finished a marathon! The week leading up to the marathon, I packed my bags, and made sure I had everything as organized for the weekend as I could. I was scheduled to work Friday night and I had hoped to get out of that shift, but ended up working the entire 12 hours. I came home Saturday morning, went to bed until 10am and then decided I needed to get up and get the van packed. We left about noon for the expo, picked up a friend who was coming with us and we were on our way. I did manage to sleep for about 2 hours on the way. It was about 3:00 when we got to the expo, picked up my timing device, packet, and signed up for the pace team then we headed to the hotel. I was exhausted and really wanted to sleep, so we ordered food and I went to bed about 6:30 while DHand his friend went to the hotel lobby and watched movies on the laptop. I expected to not sleep well at all, but surprisingly, I was pretty relaxed. I managed to sleep right up until the alarm went off at 4am. I tossed and turned before my half marathon in August so I still can't believe I wasn't a nervous wreck the night before. All of us were up and ready to go and headed to the train station that was just 4 blocks away at about 4:45. I'm such a small town girl, so it was exciting in a way to just ride the "L" downtown...something I've never done before. It was still dark when we got downtown and shortly after 6:15am, I said goodbye to DH and went to go check my bag, stretch and find out where my start corral was. The energy before the start was amazing. There were people from all over the world there, milling around, all hoping to accomplish the same thing. Most people think marathon runners are crazy, and even ask "Why would you want to do that to yourself?" But everyone there that day knew why. Finally, I headed down and got to my start corral and was amazed at how many people were behind me in the open corral. I couldn't even see my pace team sign they were so far behind me. I knew that would be trouble, especially since 3:50 was the slow pace team in my seeded start corral. I positioned myself in the back and off to the side. About 6 minutes after the signal to start, I crossed the starting line and we were off. I knew I was running too fast but with as many people that were running, I didn't have much choice, otherwise I'd be trampled. The crowd was amazing! The cheers, the clapping and excitement was incredible. The first 5 miles flew by. I kept looking for others in my pace team, but at this point, the slowest pace team member I saw was 4:00. My plan was to run 4miles, walk 1 mile and I decided I better try to stick with that plan, so i walked a tad at mile 5. I felt silly because everyone around me was running, so I only walked maybe a quarter mile and took off again. My pace team average mile pace was supposed to be 13:10...my split the first 10K was 11:18. Way too fast. I tried to slow down, knowing I'd never hold that pace the entire way. I did manage to slow a little and my split from 1oK to half was about a 12 minute mile pace. Still too fast, but I was still feeling pretty good. Saw Husband at mile 12 and he managed to get a few good pics of me still smiling and running. Mile 16, it started to get tough, and decided I needed to walk a mile and used one of my energy gels. It help a bit. I hit the wall at mile 18. I expected this because the longest training run I had done was a very unpleasant 17.4 mile run, and second longest run was 14 miles. I managed to run(slow)/walk on and off until about mile 20. At this point, my shoulders were sore and my left hip was bothering me, so I started to walk, and managed a good clip, but walking. I saw DH at I think it was between mile 20-21. I was walking and he tried to encourage me on, asked if I was going to start running at mile 21. I said yes, and he and his friend took off to meet me down the line. I got to mile 22 and my muscles started cramping up like nothing I'd ever felt before. They were so tight, it felt like they would snap, and my left hip was aching and felt loose, like it wasn't going to support me. I knew I had to keep moving or I'd never be able to finish. The mental part of the race was very tough at this point. Here I've come so far, covered more miles than I ever have before, but I still had a long way to go. I did a lot of praying at this point. Most people at this point were walking more than they were running. I also had given up on finding my pace team. I did see someone with a 5:00 pace team bib, but I didn't care...I just wanted to get to the finish. Mile 23 was the worst. I am convinced that Satan lives at mile 23 of the marathon. I was so sore, my muscles were tight, I was tired and I wanted to be done. Saw DH at this point and I told him "no more marathons. This sucks, I want to be done, I m pretty sure I'm in Hell." The guy walking just ahead of me kinda smiled that smile that said "yep, I feel the same way". DH tried to walk with me for awhile, but I wasn't in the mood to talk. I was focused only on finishing, even if that meant I had to walk the rest of the way. At mile 23 your energy is spent and you still have a 5K left to cover. In normal circumstances, that never seems too far, but after putting in 23 miles, it seems like a million miles. I used my last energy gel, hoping for a boost. I jogged a bit here and there, not much, but got to mile marker 24. A lot of people were off on the side of the road trying to stretch out their taut calf muscles. I doubt they were able to keep going because once you stop, those muscles that you are trying to stretch out just don't want to work. I just kept moving, stretching my legs as I walked. When I saw mile marker 25, I almost cried because I knew I would make it. With 1 mile left, I finally saw my pace team. A lot of good it did me to sign up with a pace team. With 800meters to go, I saw my 2 cousins who came out to support me and they walked with me a bit and I thought, "Ok, I can run a half mile to the finish". I tried and my muscles seized up and my legs weren't working properly. My right leg went out to the side and my left foot cramped up with my toes pointed out. I looked like I had a muscle disorder. I realized then I wouldn't be able to run anymore if I wanted to finish. So I walked fast. Finally, finally I saw that beautiful banner that said "FINISH". Yes, I walked across the finish line, along with several others, but I finished. They gave me one of those space blankets, a bottle of protein enhanced drink and put a finishers medal around my neck. It felt awesome. After getting my picture taken, I walked to get my bag and meet up with DH at the mile 27 post race party, where I had a ticket for a free beer. I remember thinking that a beer would be wonderful after the marathon, but at that point it was the last thing I wanted. Other people were feeling the same because there were a ton of cups lying around with only a few sips of beer out of them. After walking there, I finally felt that maybe I was safe to sit. Finally, DH and his friend found me and I stood up and I was slightly nauseated. I expected this because that happened after my 14 mile run. So for about 5 minutes, I sat and changed my shoes and just tried to enjoy the moment. We met up with my cousins for a bite to eat. My legs were sore, I was walking very, very slow, but I was moving. After eating, we went back to the hotel and headed for home. That's when the exhaustion set in and I was in and out of sleep the whole way home. After we pulled in the drive, I realized I was going to have to get up the stairs in order to get inside my house. It was a challenge. My legs were so sore and tight. I took some ibuprofen and after winding down and talking with the kids I went to be. The next day, the soreness was worse. Holy cow, was I sore! It was all I could do to get up and down the stairs and to just walk. Thankfully my MIL stayed to help with the kids. By Wednesday, I felt fine. Today, my legs are itching to go for a run.I did go out for an easy 3 mile run and realized that I'm still recovering. First mile felt great, but then my joints were aching and my muscles were tiring. Guess they remember those mile 11 days ago!

My official time was 6:07:34. Not fast, but faster than I had hoped. I hoped only to finish in less than 6:30 and I did. And I came in right behind my pace team. I know it sounds corny, but it was a very empowering moment for me when I finished. It was something I always said I wanted to do, but never thought I actually would run a marathon. It was the toughest thing physically I've ever voluntarily done, and the mental aspect was equally difficult. But the reward is so sweet. Yeah, I had to walk the last 6 miles, but I finished, and finished faster than my goal. It was something that I did on my own, no one could train for me or run it for me. I made a lot of mistakes in training...like not training enough. Being placed in a seeded start corral was also a big factor. If I had been in the open corral, where I belonged, I could have started out slower and not worn myself out as fast as I did. Maybe I could have finished faster. But I'm happy. And even though the words "no more marathons" came out of my mouth several times that day, I want to run another one, but this time train the proper way with enough time. If I can do that and hold my usual pace, I think I can finish in 5 hours. The pace I ran at the beginning of the marathon was a comfortable pace for a 6 mile run...if I can train to that pace, my estimated finish was a little over 4 hours. I don't know if that's doable or not, but 5 hours I really think I can do with proper training. Anyway, I finished, and now I can say I've done a marathon!

Waiting on the train

Still smiling...I think this was about mile 12

Still feeling strong

A few meters from the finish...I'm so "done" and focused on making my legs work. If you look close at my legs, and compare to some of the earlier pix, you can see just how tight my muscles are, especially in my thighs!

Finally feeling like it's safe to sit without my muscles snapping in half!

Smiling because I finished an item on my bucket list! Feels good!

Thanks Jaidynsmum!!

Last edited by nurselochia; August 22nd, 2012 at 06:16 AM.
August 22nd, 2012, 07:35 AM
That was awesome to read Jaime!! So inspiring!! It made me so exciting for the marathon coming up!
August 22nd, 2012, 08:47 AM
It was an amazing experience. The reason I ran last year was I won an entry through an "inspired to run story" contest by my employer, which is the healthcare system sponser of the marathon. I won my entry at the beginning of August so I had little time to train. Then when I got my confirmation packet, they had assigned me to a seeded start corral, I assume because they saved a spot there for the "inspired to run" winners. I sure didn't make that same mistake with my position at the start...I'm in the appropriate corral this year lol!

Thanks Jaidynsmum!!

August 27th, 2012, 07:37 PM
Hows training coming along this week?
August 28th, 2012, 03:43 PM
Last week wasn't the greatest. I didn't get a long run in, but I did some trail running a couple days to mix things up and get some cross training in. Life keeps getting in the way. This week I plan to run tonight, tomorrow short runs then either Thursday or Friday I'm trying for an 18 mile run. I might do it Friday just to get some miles in to make up for last week.

Thanks Jaidynsmum!!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search