Oliver's Birth Story

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2011 Birth Stories LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 12th, 2011, 12:06 PM
HeatherLyn429's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via Yahoo to HeatherLyn429
I started having off and on contractions over the weekend. Had a bloody show and lost more of my plug. On Sunday the backache had gotten intense so I went down to L&D to be checked out. I was 3-4cm at that point, 75% effaced. 2 days prior I had been 2cm 50% effaced so I was making slow progress with the off and on contractions and back pain. I went home and walked, dtd with dh, drank raspberry tea, took primrose oil, everything. Contractions still would start, then stop. Shortly after midnight yesterday (Tuesday 1/11) I woke up having them again. I refused to time them because I thought they'd stop. On average though 4-5 an hour. I went to my regular appointment at 11am yesterday and was at that point almost 5cm still 75% effaced, but since my contractions will not close together, I was sent home and told to go but an exercise ball and bounce. This was at 11am. I went and bought the ball and came home and bounced. Bounced from 12pm-1pm and contractions went from 20 minutes apart to 4 minutes apart that fast! WOW! Wish I had tried that sooner! So I called my midwife and went to Labor and Delivery (this was after speaking to some silly triage nurse who was giving me the 3rd degree about my contractions before putting me through to the midwife and actually asked me if they were painful. What the heck kind of question is THAT?! No lady they tickle. Anyway..) So I got to the hospital around 2pm and was 7cm! So bouncing dialated me from 4-5 to 7 in about 2 hours. Yay! They admitted me, got a monitor strip on baby, started my heplock (I VBAC so have to have an IV line set up) and I got in the birthing tub. Got in the tub around 4:30pm. Ohhhh it was wonderful. My water was still intact and my contractions stayed 3-4 minutes apart and no closer. Nice break between them to rest. I got checked about 5:30 and I was 8cm, bulging bag. I decided to get out of the tub and stand for a bit, so I hugged dh and swayed my hips. Then sat in a rocking chair. Then went pee and felt around a little and felt my bag bulging right inside me. That was such a weird feeling! At that point I was still determined to either have it rupture on it's own or deliver in the bag. I got back in the tub around 7pm. By 7:30 I was feeling so much pressure but I still had a lip of cervix and it just wouldn't go away. So I let her break my water.
Then all hell broke loose. As it tends to do when membranes rupture, at least for me anyway. My manageable contractions went straight to hell and there went my 3-4 minute break and they were coming fast and furious. She was telling me to breath him down but my body was bearing down trying to push anyway. But that darn lip of cervix was still there. Finally when I was about to die from the bearing down but no baby coming the cervix let loose. My midwfie was cheering saying "Heather that's good! That's good here he comes now!" and I said "No, it's not good. It's not good at all. It's bad". I completely melted, I yelled loudly that he was coming out of my butt, I asked for a c/section, I asked to get out of the tub, I asked for my midwfie to stop the labor. I was so irrational. He just felt SO big and I really didn't think I'd be able to get him out. But then another contraction came and my body just did it. I didn't want it to do it-trust me I was D-O-N-E but it pushed long and hard and his head came out. Then it kept pushing, another long hard push for the shoulders and then the best feeling in the world, the release and the feeling of all the pressure give way as the bottom half and easy part of the rest of the baby slips out. Oh god is that feeling great. It is OVER. You are DONE. Warm wet little baby was pulled up out of the tub and placed on my belly, just like I had been envisioning during my labor as my focus point. I pulled him up on my chest and he was giving soft cry's and blinking his eyes and looking at me. He pinked right up and his apgars were 9 & 10. And did he feel HEAVY. Then he pooped all over my belly.
I did have some bleeding trouble after my placenta came out a few minutes later, so I had to get out of the tub and into the bed sooner than I had wanted but that was OK. I had to have a little Pitocin after his birth to control the bleeding because my uterus was boggy and wouldn't firm up. But, it is good now. Just b/c 6th baby, big baby and long drawn out labor caused it to be a lazy uterus.

So my 2nd totally natural birth, 5th VBAC and 1st water birth. And my biggest baby 9lbs 14.2 oz but also my shortest at 20 3/4 inches. My chunky monkey

Thanks for reading

Here is pic I thought was funny. I was trying to hide in there so the midwife couldn't see me and then I thought then maybe I wouldn't have to deliver we could just stop the process now. I get so nuts when I am in transisiton. He was born moments after this picture was taken.

and introducing my new baby princess Penelope Kate born 3/18/14 5:35am 9lbs 5oz 22"
January 12th, 2011, 01:32 PM
MomtoParker's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Congrats! Sounds like you had a great birth, even though it was so up and down at the beginning. Glad that you have your LO now!

January 12th, 2011, 02:54 PM
midwifemama's Avatar Veteran
Wonderful story!!! Congratulations!
January 12th, 2011, 03:26 PM
SubWife2311's Avatar Sub Wife and Mommy
What a great story!! Congratulations! My mom told me that she yelled the same thing about the baby coming out of her butt when she birthed me, haha. I can't wait to see what type of crazy irrationalities I'll have to share!

January 12th, 2011, 09:06 PM
MommyMelissa's Avatar *Melissa*
what a beautiful story. i completely envy you and your strength!
January 12th, 2011, 10:05 PM
ToriLeigh's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Wow, that is a big baby, way to go on going med free!

January 12th, 2011, 10:40 PM
famograham's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Location: Beautiful Parksville, BC, Canada (on Vancouver Island)
Awww...I'm CRYING!!!!!
You had exactly what I'm hoping for (minus the VBAC)!
They're telling me that this girl is really big, and I just want to make it through her birth unbothered!

Your story made me laugh and cry in the space of 2 minutes! I'm Sooo happy for you!

Linda

January 14th, 2011, 11:07 AM
Erikajo's Avatar Mommy to 4 Blessings
Congratulations! You did such an amazing job, Heather!!!

Erika, mommy to 4 blessings -
Nathan (8), Emily (4), Joshua (22 months) and Luke (1.9.11)

My Blog - Musings From a SAHM

January 21st, 2011, 03:36 PM
sunny mama's Avatar Super Mommy
Great job! And great story.... and he is a beautiful baby. CONGRATULATIONS!!
January 23rd, 2011, 06:55 PM
Veteran
Your story made me laugh and cry in the space of 2 minutes! I'm Sooo happy for you!

Mackey, wife to Rah and Mom to
Micah, Michaela,Matthew,Mason,Miles,Macauley,Mireya and Meredith
January 24th, 2011, 12:11 PM
tricialeesb's Avatar Super Mommy
Great birth story! You did a wonderful job.

[/url]

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search