Grayson Everett 01.07.11.

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2011 Birth Stories LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 13th, 2011, 09:35 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Grayson Everett was born January 7, 2011 at 7:20 pm. He weighed 8lb 12oz and was 19 1/4 inches.

My doctor had been talking about doing a c-section at 39 weeks because I had gestational diabetes and baby boy was measuring large on the ultrasound. So I had been trying to put myself into labor. I had been walking the mall, taking EPO, and well lots of sex. On Thursday the 6th, I decided to try castor oil. I took 2oz and mixed it with some root beer. The castor oil didn't "work" and I had been complaining to DH about it, but then around midnight I started feeling contractions.

The contractions were about 5-6 minutes apart all night long. I walked the house for a while to see if they would pick up or taper off, and then took a shower to try and help with the pain. Eventually around 2am I decided to try and get some sleep, but they were pretty impossible to sleep through. Around 4am I decided that there was no way I was going to sleep and decided to eat some breakfast instead. DH left for work around 7:00, but he had only made it halfway to work before I called and asked him to come home and take me to the hospital instead.

By the time we got Asher dropped off at school and made it to the hospital my contractions were starting to slow down. They checked me and I was thick and only dilated 1-2. I had one contraction while on the monitors, so I thought for sure I would be going home. I was so defeated because I really thought I had been in labor. When the nurse came to check me right before I would be sent home she was shocked to see that I was now dilated 3-4. So instead of sending me home they decided to admit me.

My doctor left the country that day, so there was a different doctor filling in for him. He was stuck in surgery, but after he got out he came to check me. By that point I was at 5 cm and still not having much in the way of contractions. He said even without contractions there was cervical change and I was in fact in labor. So he broke my water and started pitocin to get things moving.

My husband was at home with the kids, but the doctor said things would be moving quickly so I needed to get him to the hospital soon so he wouldn't miss the birth. It was 4:00 when they broke my water and it was around 5:30 when I asked for the epidural. I was the only patient on the floor, so they came right away to do my epidural. Unfortunately it wouldn't work. I was in agony and they kept poking around in my back trying to get it to work. Finally at 7:00 I got the relief of the epidural. They had kept giving me more medicine trying to get it to work so my BP was low and I needed oxygen. About 10 minutes later I started feeling pain again. I thought for sure my epidural was not working again so I asked my husband to go get the nurse. She came in right away because she knew that the reason it was no longer working was because I was fully dilated. She was right.

The doctor came in immediately and asked me to push, I started my first push and the doctor told me to stop because the baby was right there. He was trying to stretch me so that I didn't tear. I gave one more small push and he was born. I was bleeding pretty heavily so they gave me a shot in my leg.

Baby boy weighed in a 8 lb 12 oz, which meant he gained an entire pound in one week as per my growth ultrasound. It's pretty safe to say that my diabetes was not as well controlled as my last pregnancy.

After he was weighed and cleaned up they gave him to me so I could start trying to nurse him. He latched on right away and has been attached ever since. They had to take him to the nursery to bathe him and check his sugars, but he had no difficulty at all maintaining his temperature or sugar levels.

Big brother and sister weren't able to meet him until the next day. Asher is doing so great with his baby brother, he is so in love. Isla on the other hand is having some serious issues. She's having more temper tanrtrums and hits the baby.

He didn't have a set name until the night before we were discharged. When he was born we weren't sure he looked like a Grayson, so we were deciding between that name or Owen. But Grayson ended up being our decision afterall.

We got to come home on Sunday afternoon and have been taking it easy since then. He's such an easy baby! He eats all the time, but co-sleeping has me getting plenty of sleep at night.

ETA:

Isla's Birth Story

Asher's Birth Story

Last edited by megg0; January 13th, 2011 at 09:41 AM.
January 13th, 2011, 12:47 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Aside from the epidural difficulties that sounded like a pretty smooth birth!
Congrats!
January 13th, 2011, 03:02 PM
camevil's Avatar Veteran
Thank you for sharing an exciting birth story. And the great pictures. What a beautiful family. And I'm sure big sister will eventually come around.

Welcome, Grayson!
January 13th, 2011, 08:43 PM
famograham's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Location: Beautiful Parksville, BC, Canada (on Vancouver Island)
Awww!!! Great story!!! He's precious!

January 13th, 2011, 08:59 PM
ChicaChels's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
great story megan! im so proud of you! he is gorgeous...just like Asher and Isla!!! you should have more babies, because they're soooo perfect!!

Maverick Jude
December 9, 2013
5:20PM 8lb3oz 20.5"
Hospital water birth
January 14th, 2011, 06:44 AM
Mega Super Mommy
That's a beautiful birth story; your little one is so precious! Thanks for sharing.
March 19th, 2011, 03:28 PM
Super Mommy
That's crazy how things just went so fast once they started. Thanks for sharing the pics your family is precious!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search