Birth Story (long)

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2011 Birth Stories LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 15th, 2011, 07:46 PM
IAMommy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
A.H. made his way into this world on Thursday, January 13th 2011 at 4:03 pm. He was 7 lbs 5 oz and 19 3/4 inches long. Head circ. was 13 1/2 inches.

On Wednesday, January 12th, I had noticed that he hadn't been moving as much as he normally did. His active time was in the evening, and I really looked forward to feeling the kicks and rolls every night. That night I didn't feel anything at all, so I started poking at my belly. After about 15 min Asher finally kicked back and that was enough for me not to freak out too much.....I was still concerned though. I hardly slept at all that night, I kept waiting for movement. Asher finally got the hiccups about 2 or 3 am, and I finally got a little bit of sleep. I had a scheduled ob appointment the next morning, or I probably would have gone to l&d that night.

Morning came and I got ready for the ob appt, and felt one good movement while I was getting ready. Dh and I arrived at our ob, and went back for our scheduled growth u/s. A couple weeks earlier I was measuring 3 weeks ahead in fundal size. The u/s went great. They estimated size at 7 lbs 7 oz (which turned out to be really accurate!) and size wise baby measured 37 weeks 3days...about a week and 1/2 ahead. Next we met with our ob and the urine and weight were both good and the dr was about to leave when I mentioned that Asher was not moving as much. He ordered a nst scan and sent me over to the hospital. I figured that as soon as the monitor were placed on my belly Asher would start moving all around.

Well, that is not what happened at all. The monitors were put into place for the nst scan, and after 5 min, I knew something was up. His heart rate was about 145 and didn't fluctuate at all, and the monitor was not picking up any movement. They look for variation in the babies heart rate and look for it to change by about 10 btm every now and again. After 40 min of no change, they came in and said that baby can fall into a deep sleep for 40-60 min. They said we would monitor for a little bit more, then send us over for a biophysical u/s. I was monitored for about another 40 min, and still no change to heart rate and still no movement.

We left for the biophysical u/s. It lasts 30 min and gives 2 points each for fluid level, heart rate flux, diaphragm movement, motor movement, and placenta. The goal is to get at least 8 out of 10 pts. We only got points for fluid and heart rate, and I think we got points for placenta, but not sure since it had started to show calcium deposits. Baby did not move at all during the u/s though. At the end of the u/s our ob popped his head in and asked the tech about what he saw.... Tech said no movement, and our ob said ok about six or seven times, looked at us and said that we will talk when we got upstairs.

We got upstairs to l&d and our ob told us that it was time to induce labor because he thought our placenta was deteriorating and baby would do better if we delivered. He said we could try for a vaginal birth as long as baby tolerated contractions ok. We started the pit right away. We were only less than an hour on the pit, and after a contraction, we lost the Asher's heartbeat. Drs and nurses came flying into the room and I was placed on my left side. Baby did better then. Shortly after that I had another good contraction and we lost the heartbeat again. The dr came in and said that we would prep for a c-section and if the heartbeat dropped again we would have to do a section. I was terrified! I was totally prepared mentally for a natural childbirth, and a section never even crossed my mind, let alone a section for this reason. Well about 15 min later we lost the heartbeat again, and the everything went really fast. I was transferred to the or and given a spinal. I was shaking so bad from anxiety, and the spinal was rough going in. Less than 15 min from the last drop in heart rate on the monitor, Asher Henry was born. He came out screaming. He was so beautiful. I just got to see him for a second, and they whisked him off the the nicu. after recovery, they wheeled me back to my room, but they very nicely stopped by the nicu on the way, and brought Asher out to see me. I got to hold him for a second a give him a kiss. They kept him in the nicu just overnight to monitor some grunting he had, and because his glucose levels were low ( which was most likely due to being stressed in the womb) .

He is doing great now, but his glucose levels keep going up and down, an he is under the lights for jaundice. I am so thankful that I get to stay with him. We have private room that we can stay in until he goes home. He looks so much like his big brother did, and I am just so in love. I am also thankful for the attentive cate of my ob and that Asher is ok. I don't even want to think about what could have happened. Hopefully we Can go home soon....I am ready to start our new life as a family of four !!

Last edited by IAMommy; February 1st, 2012 at 12:33 PM.
January 15th, 2011, 10:38 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Congratulations! Your little Asher scared us all! I hope he can go home soon! What a scary birth story! It's such a relief that they got him out quickly.
January 16th, 2011, 09:16 AM
Zumbaholic's Avatar Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to Zumbaholic
Ditto he gave us all quite the scare I can't imagine what you were feeling! Glad he is okay and hopefully he will be coming home soon.

My Etsy Shop!
Eco-friendly toys and teethers for children, antique reproductions for your home,
princess canopies, cutting boards and other wood related items!

http://www.etsy.com/shop/lizzytish2002
January 16th, 2011, 10:42 AM
Baby 3.0's Avatar Surprised by #3!!
&

So excited for you!! What a great name and a heck of a birth story! Cant wait to see pictures of the little guy! KUP & hope you both can go home soon
January 16th, 2011, 11:29 AM
Mazzie's Avatar Super Mommy
I'm So happy everything turned out ok in the end. That is so scary. My last labor was very similar to yours. THey kept loosing her heart rate and it was dropping so low that we ended up doing a C-section. I can't wait to see pictures. Hope you have a quick recovery.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
January 16th, 2011, 06:26 PM
Mega Super Mommy
so glad everything worked out, but how scary!
hope you all get to go home soon!
and Can't wait to see pics!

January 17th, 2011, 02:26 AM
mmten7's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Your birth story is almost identical to mine when I was pregnant with Megan. So scary!!!

I'm glad your OB was so attentive! What a blessing.

Congrats on your little one. It's good to hear you are both doing well. (((HUGS)))

Thank you so much mylene169 for my awesome siggy!

February 5th, 2011, 09:32 AM
Mama to Aidan & Caleb
I know I'm late but Congrats he's adorable! Sorry your birth experience didn't go as you planned but its great that your OB was so attentive and Asher is healthy as can be now!

((Thank you so much Bokkechick for my beautiful signature photo))
February 10th, 2011, 08:27 AM
~EmilysMama~'s Avatar Mega Super Mommy
(I'm pretty late on commenting too!) Sorry that everything was so scary. I'm also glad that your doctor was so attentive and that Asher is fine!

Thank you to pattyandthemoos for my great siggy!

February 10th, 2011, 10:30 AM
provosto's Avatar Mommy to Arden!
That's so scary! I'm glad everything turned out well in the end.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search