Cora Lee's Roller Coaster Birth Story

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2011 Birth Stories LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 20th, 2011, 07:20 PM
tricialeesb's Avatar Super Mommy
My induction was scheduled for 8 am on Wednesday, 1/19. I was pretty nervous the night before, so I didn't get much sleep. We headed out of the house around 7:30 and dropped off DS at the babysitters. He cried when we left him and I felt terrible. I think he knew something was up. Of course on the way to the hospital we got stuck in rush hour traffic, so I was about 15 minutes late getting there.

By 9 am my doc had come to chat with me about the process and I was checked and hooked up to IV fluids. I was 3 cm and 70% effaced, a little progress from my appointment a week earlier. Doc suggested I use the birthing ball to thin out my cervix and to get the epi before they broke my water, if I was going to get one. I wasn't decided as of yet because I wanted to see how things went. I was excited to have a delivery where I could move around because I was stuck in bed with DS due to an internal monitor.

Well, at about 9:15, I sat straight up in the bed sitting indian style. Suddenly baby girl's heart rate disappeared. I looked at my husband and had deja vu. This was exactly what had happened with DS. The nurse had me get on my right side, then my left, then my hands and knees. She called the on call OB as my doc had left. In walks two more nurses and the on call doc. She tried to elevate baby's head from inside me while the other nurses gave me the terbutaline to stop any contractions. I wasn't even on the pit yet when all this happened!! Sure as heck, just like DS, they broke my bag of waters and placed an internal monitor. I started crying and knew I wasn't going to have the labor and delivery I wanted. After the internal was in, I had to stay on my left side so that her heart would regulate.

They started the pit at 10:30 am. I really didn't feel the contractions until about noon. By then they were about 5-6 minutes apart and really manageable. My mom came to visit and my hubbby ran home to grab a couple of things we had forgot. By about 2:30 the contractions started to pick up. My sister came to visit at about 3pm and I was starting to really feel bad when she got there. Contractions were 2 mintues apart, lasting about 1 minute each. Being stuck in bed on my side was terrible! The few times I was let up to use the rest room was so nice! Being able to walk and sit on the toilet made it so easy to manage the pain. I asked the nurse to check me at about 3:30 and I was only 4-5. I asked for the epi.

It took a while to get the epi settled correctly. And even after it was put in, the pain meds took a while to take effect. I was feeling a lot of pain and really just wanted it to stop. By about 4:30 I could still feel the contractions through the epi. I was getting sick to my stomach and I made a comment to my sister that I felt like I just went from 6-9 in one minute. The nurse checked me at 4:40 and I was a 6. NOPE! I was wrong. I told her I felt some pressure, but it then went away. She was going to call my doc about my progress and she said to buzz her if I felt any more pressure.

Sure as heck, as soon as she walked out the door, I felt a huge contraction. It was the strangest feeling in the world, but I felt her head move down the birth canal in one large movement and could feel her head starting to crown. I told my husband to push the button so he pushed the epi button. I said "No! The call button!" My sister was on it. She saw the contraction on the monitor and knew something was up. The nurse showed up, I told her what happened, and I was right. When she checked me, I was 10 cm and ready to go. I went from 6 to 10 in one contraction!! It was the weirdest and most incredible feeling in the whole world! They hadn't even set any of the labor equipment up yet!

I called my mom and hubby called his parents. He had just called them 5 minutes earlier to say it was going to be a couple more hours. They were surprised to hear it was time. So was my doc who got two calls in five minutes.

We waited to get everything set up, for doc to get there, and for our parents to arrive. I started pushing at about 5:35 and she was born at 5:46 in about 2 contractions and 6 good pushes. She started crying before she was even completely out of me. My hubby played "catcher" and was so nervous. He said if the doc wasn't right there he would've dropped her.

She weighed in at 7 lbs 10 oz and 20.5 inches long. She's absolutely perfect!!

[/url]

Last edited by tricialeesb; January 20th, 2011 at 07:32 PM.
January 20th, 2011, 08:30 PM
MommyMelissa's Avatar *Melissa*
i am sorry u didnt get the birth u wanted but at least ur baby is here and healthy!!!! ;D congrats
January 22nd, 2011, 01:12 PM
kdmommie's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I'm not sure it ever really goes how we want it to. Afterwards all that matters is the baby in your arms I went from 6 to 10 in an hour and I thought that was fast! You have me beat by a long shot lol

January 22nd, 2011, 06:55 PM
MomtoParker's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Holy cow! That is crazy how quickly you went! Congratulations!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search