Update/Birth Story/Pics, and an apology for taking so long!

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2011 Birth Stories LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 30th, 2011, 12:36 AM
famograham's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Location: Beautiful Parksville, BC, Canada (on Vancouver Island)
We got home yesterday after the most harrowing, unexpected birth experience ever.

On Monday, I was having tons of contractions, starting at about 11:00am, but they weren't coming together into a cohesive pattern. We stayed home and enjoyed the labour together as a family for a really good long time. We were in great spirits and it was wonderful. Finally at about 2:00 in the morning, the contractions shifted FAST, to 2 minutes apart, consistent and hard. We happily headed out to the hospital, joking, and laughing between contractions. We even stopped at Tim Horton's for a coffee on the way...
The contractions were so big and close, we were sure we'd get to the hospital and have her within an hour or two.
That's not what happened.
We got to the hosp. and got settled in. A nurse came and started getting my IV ready. I still wasn't sure I wanted it, but was going along with it. She failed to get it at the first attempt, and the second, and the third. She went through my veins causing my arm to puff up with instant bloody bruising. I was so pissed off that I cried! It really hurt, and I hated it. Labour I can handle, no problem, but I didn't like this! Finally they had to call the Anesthesiologist to do it, and he got it on his first try no problem.
We went on labouring and it was fine. Very intense, we could tell it was getting close..but it sure was taking longer than our other kids! Spirits were still high.
I started pushing involuntarily during contractions, so it was time to check me. I was 5 cm and her head was still REALLY high. Not what we expected. We continued to labour, not sure why I was trying to push so early in dilation. Fast forward an hour or two. My midwife checked me again, still expecting me to be complete. I had been contracting and trying not to push all this time. All she could feel was a huge bulging bag of water. She still couldn't feel a presenting part or tell how dilated I was.
She called the OB on call (who turned out to be an angel in disguise, and also the same guy who delivered my BFF's first twin!) He checked me and then the sh*t hit the fan and our world turned upside down. He couldn't feel a head, they turned the ultrasound on and found that her head was off to the right on my pelvis, she was in completely the wrong position and couldn't descend into my pelvis. This is why my body was pushing. Trying to get her down so her head could complete my dilation. Now it was an emergency. Everything went so fast. The OB told us that he needed to break my water to see if she would move down. BUT, since her body was malpostioned and she as still so high, that there was a VERY high chance that her cord would prolapse and I'd need an immediate C-Section. I tried to ask for more options, there weren't any left. We had tried to get her to turn/move, but it didn't work. So, as fast as lightning (after both of us crying our eyes out and taking forever to sign the consent), they whisked me down to the OR (the scariest place in the world to me).
They put even more IV's in me, put me on the operating table to give me a spinal (terrifying).
They put too much spinal medication in me and I was frozen to my cheekbones! It was the weirdest sensation ever.
SO, once I was paralyzed, he broke my water, and to everyone's surprise, especially the OB himself, the cord did not prolapse and she moved into position!

Completely numb now, they sent us back to our room to try and continue labour and see if we could still have her vaginally. My hopes for no meds were gone, they gave me morphine and fentanyl, (things I never wanted). but we hung onto a natural delivery.
Since I was already frozen they gave me an oxytocin IV to speed things up, YET another thing I never, ever wanted. All the intervention killed my labour, despite the oxytocin. They kept upping it, and the spinal finally started to wear off. So now I was having an oxytocin induced labour, and was still refusing medication whenever they offered it. I was really afraid that I couldn’t handle a second round but I managed to get back into the rhythm again, and Rudy managed me through each and every contraction. He was absolutely amazing.
After several hours of the second round, they decided to check me, I was 6cm. A little progress in my cervix, but absolutely no downward movement of the baby. The OB still gave us more time, which I appreciated so much. I was pushing again with every contraction and had to be talked through them so I would breather and not push. Needless to say, that wasn’t always possible. One or two more checks, and a couple more hours, an the OB came to check me again, it was about 4:45 pm on Tuesday afternoon. He told me that he’d give us until 5:00, but that it was really time to get the baby out.. Ther e was nothing happening, no change in her position and that w had done everything we could. We cried again. I contracted, pushed, cried. We had a serious talk with the midwife. She told us that she agreed that there was nothing more we could possibly have done to try and get this baby here vaginally. I tried to bargain, but I knew it was just my pride talking. Rudy finally told me that it was time, how strong I was, and how proud he was of me. He gave me the strength I needed to finally make the decision to get this baby out.
We decided .

There was another whirlwind of activity, another trip to the OR, another spinal, and within minutes of the most crazy, terrifying sensations of my life, she was here.

She was beautiful. It was over. Rudy went to her, cut the cord, wept his heart out, and he got her in his arms.
We cried as they finished me up, and watched our beautiful baby girl take it all in, in complete calm. I can’t even describe how strange all the physical sensations were, and how disconnected I became from my body. It was the most surreal experience of my life.

We spent the next three nights in the hospital together, bonding, healing etc. Rudy was by my side every second. He has done everything for me. I haven’t even changed a diaper yet and she’s 4 days old!
We got home yesterday and it was wonderful.

The recovery has been really hard, but I’m doing well.

The only way that I can process and heal from this emotionally is that after she was born, the OB told us everything that was preventing her from coming, it’s unbelievable!

I’ll list the stats as this is getting insanely long!!!!

*She had the cord wrapped all around her in different ways.
*She had a true knot in her cord.
*She had her ARM completely up over her head…this has got to be the reason she couldn’t descend into my pelvis. (called a compound presentation)
*And last but not least, the little tidbit that she was 10lbs-1.5oz!

So without further adieu, presenting, after almost 32 hours of labour!

Amelia Anne Louise G****m
January 25th,
6:41pm
10 pounds 1.5 ounces
23 inches long

So the birth was the absolute laundry list of everything we never wanted to have happen. BUT, if it weren't for the C-Section, we'd both be very dead. I am utterly humbled, and thankful for this beautiful, precious baby girl, and the most incredible husband in the world.

January 30th, 2011, 12:51 AM
feythful's Avatar Proud Dec '13 DDC Co-host
Linda, I'm sorry things didn't follow the path you had chosen for them, but I'm glad everyone is well and safe! It sounds like you had a very supportive staff working with you! What a beautiful big baby! congratulations

January 30th, 2011, 01:27 AM
Love Leigh.'s Avatar Love My Girls ♥
Send a message via MSN to Love Leigh.
Oh, hun, I am sorry that you didn't get the natural birth that you wanted but you have one beautiful little girl! You did a great job, Mama! You should be VERY proud! Congrats!

Credit to claire1979 for the amazing siggies!
January 30th, 2011, 05:36 AM
Erikajo's Avatar Mommy to 4 Blessings
Wow, what a crazy story! I'm sorry things didn't go as you planned, but it sounds like you have good perspective and I'm so glad you & are baby are ok! She is absolutely precious - I just love big chunky babies (my 3rd was 10 lb 7.5oz.) You did awesome!
Congratulations, Linda!

Erika, mommy to 4 blessings -
Nathan (8), Emily (4), Joshua (22 months) and Luke (1.9.11)

My Blog - Musings From a SAHM

January 30th, 2011, 05:59 AM
Isaeph's Avatar Jennifer the Momma
What a beautiful girl! I'm so glad you had such thoughtful and kind hospital staff for the experience.

Crunchy, conservative, Christian, homeschooling, breastfeeding, co-sleeping, not-vaccinating, cloth-diapering, baby-wearing, ec-ing, unassisted-birthing, breastmilk donating, Momma to 7yo, 4yo, 2yo, 2mo.
January 30th, 2011, 06:06 AM
Crystal713's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to Crystal713
Wow, what a birth story!! She is beautiful, and Im sorry things did not go as you wanted.

January 30th, 2011, 06:38 AM
blessedx7's Avatar I <3 my big family!
Linda you are AMAZING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! She is beautiful and a HUGE congratulations to you!!!! I am so happy she is here healthy and that the ob was bent over backwards to give you the birth you wanted. So many would have just sectioned when you were in there the first time. Your story is an inspiration to so many who go into labor expecting something they have dreamed about and leaving with a different story. A healthy baby in the end is what's important. I have to say I felt relieved when you said you felt completely disconnected from your body during your section. I felt that same way with my 2nd c/s. It was the strangest out of body experience ever. There are no words to describe that feeling.

I am so grateful for your awesome husband for taking care of you and for your wonderful medical staff...glad it turned out a healthy mama and baby in the end.
ages 15, 13, 11, 8, 8, 4 & Kerrigan born 1-14-11
Our Family Blog: www.thecashcrew.blogspot.com

Kerrigan Elizabeth born on her duedate- 100% natural, hypnobabies, VBA2C

January 30th, 2011, 08:47 AM
Aww Thank you so much ladies.

I truly, deeply believe that everything happens for a reason, so we are healing from it remarkably well, I think.
Aside from getting Amelia here safely, there was a big lesson here for me. I think that life/fate/God/Mother Nature wanted me to experience the full spectrum of birth experiences

I had plenty of "knowledge" about c-sections before this, but I had ZERO understanding. And as much as I talk about open mindedness being so important to me...I guess it was something that in order to truly understand, I needed to experience for myself.

Kelly, yes....TOTAL out of body experience. It's kind of indescribable, just like you said!

January 30th, 2011, 10:07 AM
FertileMyrtle's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to FertileMyrtle
Linda wow!!!!!!!! You are such a fricken trooper for going through all of that!! I'm so glad your little one is here now and that you are all doing very well!!!

"All babies want to get borned" - Su Chin, Juno
January 30th, 2011, 03:21 PM
Mega Super Mommy
That was a completely insane ordeal you went through.
I'm glad you're both doing well. Sounds like your DH has been amazing!
Congrats! She is adorable
January 30th, 2011, 04:31 PM
ToriLeigh's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Congrats! I'm sorry things went so far from your plan but am glad you are both okay. She is gorgeous and HUGE. I can't believe your newborn is bigger than my 3 week old!

January 30th, 2011, 07:07 PM
brie_91's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
What an incredible story! I'm so sorry you didnt have the birth experience you wanted, but you are such an amazing woman and mother for going through all of that! and I'm so grateful both of you are okay. She is absolutely precious! Congratulations Linda!
January 30th, 2011, 07:21 PM
TanyaZ's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
wow, im so sorry things didnt go the way you planned but so happy that you are both here and healthy.
She is better then my 5wk old too!
She is just perfect adn you did a awesome job
January 30th, 2011, 09:33 PM

Wow! That puts it in perspective hearing that she's bigger than some of your older babies..
Is Amelia the biggest of our group so far? (10lbs1.5oz)

January 31st, 2011, 06:51 AM
lauraleaf's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Aww Linda!! I'm sorry you didn't get the birth you wanted, and I totally understand. DD's birth ended in an emergency c-section and I had to grieve about missing out on my plan. She is gorgeous! I love the pic with you where she has one eye open- too cute.

January 31st, 2011, 09:06 AM
Thanks Laura, I love it too...total stink eye! She's like, "Who just yanked me out of my cozy home???"

January 31st, 2011, 09:18 AM
HeatherLyn429's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via Yahoo to HeatherLyn429
I'm sorry things didn't go as you had hoped but glad she is here and you are both safe and healthy She is beautiful!
and introducing my new baby princess Penelope Kate born 3/18/14 5:35am 9lbs 5oz 22"
January 31st, 2011, 10:14 PM
metanelukka's Avatar Super Mommy
Hello Amelia! Linda, she is so sweet and lovable! I am sorry things did not go as planned but to have been through all of that and have you both safe is a blessing. Here is to a speedy recovery!

Anthony Jacquin 12/15/10 5lbs 10oz 19.75 inches
January 31st, 2011, 10:52 PM
Platinum Supermommy
You are amazing! What a crazy birth. Amelia is beautiful

February 1st, 2011, 07:40 AM
Isabelle's Avatar 3 Princes & 1 Princess
Lurking from next door (February)

Just wanted to say congrats and I was on the edge of my seat reading your birth story. Your daughter is beautiful.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search