Charlie's birth story

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2011 Birth Stories LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 30th, 2011, 07:50 PM
Crafty Mama's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Charlie’s birth story
I went in for my induction on Thursday, January 27th at 10 pm. Ben stayed with me until we were all settled in, and then went home to be with Emma. The inserted the gel at midnight, and I started feeling contractions around 12:30. They weren’t too bad, but definitely starting out strong. I had to be laying down in the bed for an hour after they placed the gel, and they kept me on the monitors to keep track of the baby’s heartbeat and my contractions. They checked me at midnight at 2 cm dilated. The contractions started out at about 5-8 minutes apart and lasting 45 seconds. Around 2:30, they were about 2-3 minutes apart. This is when I called Ben to come be with me. I was so upset about having to be induced, and kind of scared that the gel was actually working (if you’re not ready, it can just cause cramping, and they’ll send you home if there’s no changes). I was scared and alone and not handling things well. The contractions were a lot more uncomfortable because I was stuck laying in bed. I called Ben, and he headed up. By the time he got there, they were a lot more painful, but I was able to sit on my birth ball. With him next to me, it was a lot easier to relax through the contractions and not lose control. Jeanne (MW) came in around 3:30 to check me. I was now about 3 cm and 80% effaced, so the gel was working. I was starting to feel a TON of pressure with each contraction, and was having problems emptying my bladder. It hurt a LOT to try to sit on the toilet or walk. I kind of felt like my pelvis was splitting. It was similar to what I thought transition would feel like, except the contractions weren’t as painful as they would be during transition. Sitting on the birth ball was no longer working, so I begged to get into the tub. They got the water running, and Ben helped me in. The water at the hospital wasn’t warm enough. They had it on the hottest setting, but it was still much cooler than I’d ever set it. The Jacuzzi tub was also pretty shallow, so a lot of my skin was exposed, and the hospital bathroom air was pretty cool. I ended up shivering in the tub, and even with a towel around my shoulders, I couldn’t relax at all. My body was just tensing up more in the tub, so I got out after less than 10 minutes. Around this time, my contractions started really changing. They were only lasting 30 seconds or so, but I only had a 30 second break between each contraction. They were really strong, and I was completely losing control during them. My entire back was cramped up in between contractions, and my body couldn’t relax at all. As soon as one contractions would end, another one would begin, and I just wasn’t getting a break at all. Before I got out of the tub, I told Ben to let them know I’d be getting the epidural. They got me in my room and got my IV hooked up. The anesthesiologist got there shortly after, and we got the epidural in place. It only took about 45 minutes from the time I asked to the time I got it in place, but that was about 45 contractions worth. Once they got me in bed and set up, the nurse told me that she was going to ask Jeanne about giving me some Terbutaline to slow down contractions because my uterus was contracting so often. She told me that my uterus was hyper stimulated (one of the possibilities with any kind of induction, even the “gentle” methods like the gel). The short contractions weren’t going to be as beneficial as longer spaced out contractions, and she was concerned that the baby wasn’t getting enough oxygen. He was holding up pretty well on the monitors, but she knew it could change pretty fast. Jeanne said there wasn’t a reason to worry just yet, but they propped me on my left side and put an oxygen mask on me to make sure he was getting enough oxygen. At this point I was shaking uncontrollably, still a little cold from the bath, but mostly just an effect of the epi. My blood pressure dropped, so they got me some more drugs to get it back up. Somehow I just knew that an induction was going to be anything but drug free! Now that I was in bed and not feeling a lot of pain, I called my dad and mom to let them know what was going on. Before I went in, we all knew that there was a possibility that my body wasn’t ready and that I would be sent home that morning because I wasn’t having any changes. So they were happy to hear I was in labor. It was now 6:30 and the nurse just checked me at 4 cm. They were hoping he’d be here sometime around noon. As I was filling my mom in on everything, my water broke. I got off the phone with her and the nurse checked me. I was now 5 cm. I told her that I wasn’t sure if the epidural was working properly anymore, the anesthesiologist had warned about laying on your side, it can make the epi wear off on one side. I was now feeling the contractions full force. I knew that this would happen once I was complete and ready to push, but I was only 5 cm. Within minutes, my body was involuntarily pushing. I had her check me again and I was 9 cm. Jeanne had already been called, but last she knew I was only 5 cm and my water had just broken. I started pushing before she got in the room. Once she was here, she helped guide me (in other words, she was yelling at me over my screaming) to do small pushes. I felt his head coming down in a couple pushes, and before I knew it, his head was out. The cord was wrapped around his neck, but she got it undone and I pushed his body out. He was here within 30 minutes of my water breaking, only 3 minutes of pushing. I wanted to wait until his cord stopped pulsing to cut it, but there was a true knot in it, and it was drained within seconds of him being out. Ben cut the cord, and he was layed on my chest as they cleaned him up. They took him after that to get him to pink up, he was still pretty blue after a few minutes of being out. After about 30 minutes, he was handed back to me and I got to spend some time with him. He latched on with no problem, and had SUCH a strong suck!
Total labor time was 6 ½ hours, such a relief from the 28 ½ hours I had with Emma. I only had a small tear, but it needed no stitches (it was more of a skid mark, and now 2 days later, there’s no evidences of it that I can feel). My recovery has been so much better than with my first labor. My only complaints are a few body aches and the horrible after birth pains while nursing. So far he’s a great nurser, but he’s on his own schedule. He’ll refuse to wake up to nurse if he’s not hungry, no matter what I do. But the other night he nursed for 6 hours straight! I kept switching him from side to side, and burping him inbetween, talk about a hungry little man! And a tired mama.

Charles (Charlie) Lee Moore was born at 7:09 on January 28th, weighing 8 lb 6 oz. and 20 inches long.

Thank you, AlexAiden Mommy for my awesome siggy!

January 30th, 2011, 08:04 PM
azrunningmom's Avatar Julie S
CONGRATS! What a great story!
Baby Taylor arrived on 01/04/2011 at 9:26pm weighing 7lbs 8oz and 19 inches long

January 31st, 2011, 02:29 AM
keekopeeko's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
good job! great story..

~Em

February 1st, 2011, 09:08 AM
keekopeeko's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
You say "Gel".. was it Cytotec? or Cervadil? cuz the way my Dr.s decribed those they were not a Gel? one is like a pill, and the other is like a tampon insert sort of thing..

~Em

February 1st, 2011, 11:49 AM
kdmommie's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Yay for being better this time around. I'm glad he's here!

February 1st, 2011, 10:19 PM
horseradishmayo's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
6.5 hrs is FAST!
congrats Katy!

Check out my etsy shop!
Crunchy Couture
use code JMMOMMY for free shipping in the US
February 3rd, 2011, 06:57 PM
Crafty Mama's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Em- I thought I was going to get the Cervidil, but it turns out she just wanted to do a prostoglandin gel. I don't think it has a name? But normally OB's use it to soften and efface the cervix before they start pitocin. My MW likes to use it in 2 doses (in my case, I only needed one) to see if it starts contractions.

Thank you, AlexAiden Mommy for my awesome siggy!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search