Alaina Rose (2/1)

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2011 Birth Stories LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
February 7th, 2011, 04:15 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Sorry this took so long to do, but it's been a crazy couple of weeks. I went in on monday the 31st for my scheduled NST. I had been very sick and felt like I could hardly breathe when I went in for this appointment. The nurse who took care of me that day had seen me 3 times in the last week with all the same symptoms and noticed that I was a lot worse that day. She hooked me up to the monitor and baby looked great (not like her lol) but my oxygen saturation was low and my heart rate was in the 130s-140s and I really couldn't breathe. They put me on oxygen and gave me fluids right away and the doc suspected I might have pneumonia. Well, because I came in so sick they decided that it wasn't worth waiting any longer. I was over 38 weeks and it was time to have a baby. After a breathing treatment some oxygen and fluids I was feeling a little better and they started with gels. My husband was able to come home that night from Washington and he got there by 9pm and was there for the whole thing! such a blessing! and he even cut the cord (he almost passed out with the other two and couldn't bring himself to do it lol but this is his little girl ) Because of the polyhydramnios due to the gestational diabetes and baby girl's size she was just not going to engage in the pelvis. I started going into labor myself after the first dose of the gels and they couldn't do anymore gels because I was contracting too much. By 5am I went from a 1 and 10% effaced to a 2 and 40% effaced (not very much I know). They didn't think the contractions were doing much because of all the fluid so they started pitocin. Unfortunately the baby didn't like the pitocin much and would keep having decelerations so we had to turn it off a few times which may have caused things to slow down a bit. At around 10am my doc came back in and I was dialated to a 3 and 70% but still way high so she decided to break my water (this was risky because she was sooooooo high and I had so much fluid there was a large chance for prolapsed cord and they weren't sure she'd tolerate the decreased fluid levels due to her issues with her umbillical vein). Well, as soon as the water was broken she started really having issues. Her heart rate would drop into the 60s with every contraction. They decided then to do an amnio infusion to take some of the pressure away. This included putting a catheter into the uterus to monitor the contractions and another to infuse saline into the uterus to prevent her from having further distress. This worked for a little while and I got my epidural right then . Of course this didn't go as planned either and they had to do it twice but it worked well after the second one. I got some sleep after that and baby was doing better until about 1:40. She started having massive decelerations at this time again and they came in to check me. Thankfully she had engaged well and I was at a 9 and 100%. If I wasn't that far along in the labor I would have been prepped for a c-sec at this time. Thankfully my body works very well in this stage of labor so by the time the doctor got to the hospital (the office called me at the same time to reschedule my appointment because she was running out for a delivery LOL). I was ready to go. She got all dressed up and I pushed once for her head and once for her body. She even had her hand up in her face like she did in all of the u/s pictures I had of her when she came out haha. Well, she came out gorgeous weighing 5lb 15oz, my littlest baby and the preemie clothes don't even fit her She's so tiny. Then of course things still didn't want to go my way. She apparently had a very very short umbillical cord and even though I'd had plenty of scares where the placenta wanted to detach, it didn't want to today. The OB had to pull it out after about 40 min because it wasn't coming out and then she had to do a D&C because it was coming out in pieces. Not comfortable. She came out so fast I didn't tear at all and didn't even have to use the spray bottle! it was amazing compared to my big ol boys who tore me so bad Then came all the scary stuff. They whisked her off to the nursery because her sugars were really low (babies that small can't keep their sugars up after birth if mom's sugar was low during delivery a lot of times because they don't have enough fat storage). Then the neonatologist the NICU nurse and the pediatrician all came in to see me... Apparently there were a few other birth defects that were not seen during ultrasounds. They did all kinds of tests over the next couple of days to make sure there wasn't any syndrome or any chromosomal issues because there were "so many little things" going on with her. Thankfully all the tests came back okay. My milk took a while to come in so we had to supplement because she became jaundiced and dehydrated even on the IV fluids and glucose drip (she was on it for 4 days), and they had to make sure she could have large stools because she has a fistula between her anus and vagina and her anus is in the wrong spot. Thankfully she pees in the right spot and poops in a different spot, so the surgery was not something she needs right this second, so we're seeing a surgeon next week but they'll need to repair the area. She also has a small congenital heart defect they think may fix itself but we'll follow up with cardiology soon also because her heart rate continued to be in the 90s after birth and there were a few electrical issues with her heart on the EKG, but nothing they are too concerned about. She's tongue tied also but she can still latch on, it just takes more effort. I'll tell you what, having to leave her in the NICU and having all those little issues I felt horrible, like I'd done something, how can your baby have so many little things if you didn't do something wrong? I know it wasn't anything I did, I was so careful and did everything right this pregnancy, she's just got her issues. She's absolutely gorgeous though and the umbillical vein issues resolved when she was born and she is doing everything else right so we're just going to wait and watch and see what happens. I'm thankful she's out now and appears healthy. Her brothers and daddy are in love with her and she is such a good baby, she hardly cries just whines a bit when she's hungry, totally different than my colicky boys who had LARGE lung capacities LOL. here's a few pictures

the first time I saw her after delivery

after I got her all dolled up on day 3

meeting MIL from FL

Thank you GraysMama for the beautiful siggy!
February 7th, 2011, 05:58 PM
Mega Super Mommy
She is absolutely adorable! Congrats! Hopefully everything will correct itself by her next doctors visits and you won't have to worry anymore

Thank you so much for my beautiful siggy Meganpixel!!!

February 7th, 2011, 06:24 PM
MrsHoot's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Lurking from April DDC. Just wanted to say that she is gorgeous!!! I hope that all turns out well and it sounds like she is a wonderful baby.

Congrats!

February 7th, 2011, 07:35 PM
Baby 3.0's Avatar Surprised by #3!!
Oh she is so cute!! Love that little head so round CONGRATS!!
February 7th, 2011, 09:08 PM
SouleBaby's Avatar Lovin My Boyz!
She adorable!! Congrats!!

Thank you GreysMom for my awesome siggy!!!!

February 8th, 2011, 07:23 AM
IAMommy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
She is beautiful! You did an amazing job momma!
February 10th, 2011, 05:40 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Congrats again! She is adorable. I hope everything goes well with the follow up appointments.

*Thank you kiliki for the siggy!*

Mom to Kennedy (2/19/11) and Caleb (8/6/12) and Expecting #3 10/13/14
Life As We Know It
February 10th, 2011, 07:06 AM
~EmilysMama~'s Avatar Mega Super Mommy
She's so tiny and perfect! Congrats!

Thank you to pattyandthemoos for my great siggy!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search