Isaiah James 1/3/2011

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2011 Birth Stories LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
February 8th, 2011, 11:25 AM
Aimee MommyX3's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via MSN to Aimee MommyX3 Send a message via Skype™ to Aimee MommyX3
Isaiah James
Born Monday, January 3, 2011 @1514
8 lbs 9.6 oz 20 inches long

Forgive me, this is going to be insanely long.

January 2, 2011

Around 9:30pm, contractions started to become regular and a bit more uncomfortable than the usual BH contractions I had been getting most of the pregnancy. I began timing them just to see how they were progressing. Until 11:00pm, they were between 4-5 minutes apart, but only lasting around 30 seconds each time. By 11:00pm they had become erratic and spaced out anywhere from 4-12 minutes. Keeping hope, I kept timing them until 1230am. Still randomly spaced out. During that time, I decided to paint my nails (got quite the compliments from the nurses during and after labor, all were impressed I did them myself during early labor). After I realized that the contractions weren't going to pick up anytime soon, I decided to get some sleep (this was about 130-2am). I woke up at 430am to use the bathroom. The contractions were starting to pick up strength and consistency again. I tried to lay down to sleep some more, but couldn't sleep through the contractions, so I went downstairs to allow Jason to get some more sleep. I wanted to labor at home as long as possible. Jason came downstairs around 500am asking if I was alright. Contractions weren't unbearable, but they were getting closer together. We called Jason's parents to come get the kids. My poor babies are not used to getting up before 900am, so it was rough on them. We let them know while we waited for his parents that baby brother was going to be coming that day. The kids were very excited. Jason's parents got to the house around 530am. After they left, I called the midwife on call to let them know we would be coming in as the conractions were consistently coming between 3-4 minutes and they were getting slightly stronger.

We got to the hospital around 630am. I was brought to the birthing suite and started on the monitors to check the baby's heartrate and see the contractions. He handled the contractions well, so I was able to labor however I wanted. The nurse checked me around 700am. My cervix was posterior and she had a hard time reaching it, but was finally able to and said I was almost at 2cm. She said she helped me out, hoping I would progress enough to be admitted as a labor patient. I was a bit disappointed that I was only at 2, and told Jason that if I hadn't progressed by the time my midwife came to check me, I wanted to go home and be in my own bed/house, plus, I wanted to avoid pitocin if possible. I was able to walk around or just sit in the chair and deal with the contractions. They were getting closer and slightly more intense. When I used the bathroom, I had the bloody show. The nurses kept coming in the room telling me it was alright to walk around the halls to help progress. I didn't want to leave the room, so I walked around, sitting in the chair with each contraction. My midwfe came at 900am to check and see how I had progressed. I was hooked back up to the monitors and when she checked, I was 5-6cm. I was getting admitted, baby was coming today! Jason called my mom to let her know I was at 5-6cm (she has been at every birth) and she left work. I continued to walk around, sit in the chair, lean over the bathroom counter, and rock back and forth while leaning on the bed. My mom got there 45 minutes after we called her.

My midwife (Cari) checked me again around 1100am and said I was at 6-7cm. Cari asked if I wanted her to break my water, she said it would help labor progress faster, but it would make the contractions more painful. I didn't want my water broken artificially, so I declined. The nurse kept asking if I wanted any medication, but I was feeling strong enough to handle the contractions without any, she kept commenting how well I was handling labor and told me I was her ideal labor patient.

Around noon she then offered to fill the tub for pain relief. I decided that I would try that. She brought candles and aromatherapy and turned down the lights to help with relaxation. I was able to relax a little in the tub and close my eyes for some bit of rest. I only had to struggle through 3 contractions that entire hour or so I was in the tub. I had to get out to be monitored for the next 15 minutes. I was checked and was an 8. I decided to walk around the room some more. The contractions were starting to come hard. Each time one would hit, I'd lean over the bed and Jason would press against the lower part of my back, the counter pressure helped a lot. We did that for about an hour before they needed to monitor again. By that point, contractions had gotten really strong and I was at the point where I didn't care if the contractions got stronger, I was exhausted from lack of sleep as well as labor and wanted to be done. I asked the nurse to page Cari and let her know I'd like my water broken.

About 30 minutes later (around 2:30), Cari came in. I was still at 8cm. She broke my water (it took a couple tries) and after the second contraction, they became intense. Cari had to make her rounds, so she left the room while I worked through the contractions. My eyes were closed the entire time, I was unable to keep them opened. After about 9 contractions, I heard Cari to my right telling me that she believes my baby was facing the wrong direction. She had me work throught the current contraction and then asked me to get on my knees and face the back of the bed (she had adjusted the head of the bed so it was straight up). She pressed on my hips as she swung my hips around through the next 2 contractions to try to turn him. She asked if I'd like some massage oil for my back after the second contraction and as she was on her way out the door, I had a contraction that my body began pushing through. I started telling the nurse that I had to push, my body was pushing and she went to get Cari as I turned back around and tried to stop my body from pushing through the next contraction.

Cari came back and checked me, 10. The contractions were intense and there was no stopping me from pushing, except to breath in. I was gripping the bed rails and the second nurse kept telling me to grab my legs and I kept telling her I couldn't. She had one leg and Jason had the other. I finally got to a small lull in contractions where I could grab my legs and the burn began. Cari asked if I wanted a mirror to watch him be born, but I was to the point where I couldn't even open my eyes, I was so exhausted. His head came out and that's where the chaos began, two more pushes and I felt tugging. Suddenly, the room was filled with voices. My mom was screaming and crying hysterically and I could hear tears in Jason's voice, though he was no longer by my head but across the room.

There was an intense pain and pressure on my stomach; I forced my eyes open to see four nurses at my belly; pushing, kneeling, shoving. Cari was was twisting the baby, two more nurses along side her. My bottom began to throb with pain, but all I could concentrate on was the force of four people manipulating my stomach. I was screaming for the frst time all day. Profanities from my mouth swarmed around the room and I knew that anyone coming to have a baby would immediately want to turn around and leave. I heard Cari say, "Try to break the clavacle" and in my insane exhaustion, I wondered why they need to break my hips... until I realized they were talking about my baby's collar bone. All the while, Cari keeps shouting, "This is an emergency, get the on-call OB stat. Emergency C-section."

Cari told me that Isaiah's left shoulder was stuck and I needed to get to my side to see if that would get him loose. That didn't work, so they flipped me to all fours with no luck. I was on my back again and Cari was still yelling and asked if anyone had paged the OB. She did an episiotomy and he slipped free. He was placed on my belly and Cari cut the cord. The nurses brought him to the warmer and began to work on him. He still hadn't cried. "3 minutes 48 seconds," I heard Cari say. The amount of time his head was delivered before the rest of his body. There were still no cries. Four nurses were around him and I heard one of them say that his heartrate was not increasing. They put an oxygen mask on his little nose and mouth.

I was so out of it, my body numb and exhausted from the screaming, tingles climbed all over my body. Cari kneeded out the placenta, ordered pitocin to prevent hemorraging, and began to numb me up to repair the episiotomy. I kept asking if my baby was ok, and all the answer I got was a sympathetic look from everyone in the room.

After what seemed like a lifetime, the nurses brought Isaiah to me. He was well, breathing and whimpering. I got to cuddle him for about ten minutes before they took him to the nursery to evaluate him for awhile. It was a little after 6 when he was cleared to come back. Our entire stay, the nurses had to check to make sure he could use his left arm normally as there was a possiblity of nerve damage.

Cari explained to us what had happened, that he was born with his face facing my left thigh and his shoulders were stuck (a condition called shoulder dystocia), and said they had tried to break his clavicle and my tailbone, but neither would break. He just happened to get stuck at change of shift, so we had more help than we would have had it happened sooner. I was so grateful that I did not get the epidural as that would have made turning me to try to dislodge him impossible.

We were talked about around the hospital, every nurse that came in already knew about his birth, he was quite the star. I got the, "Oh you poor thing" from most nurses. My little Isaiah certainly knew how to make an entrance.

Last edited by Aimee MommyX3; February 9th, 2011 at 07:10 PM. Reason: Add photos
February 8th, 2011, 11:38 AM
Rockstarmama's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Wooooow! You are one tough cookie, sister!

February 10th, 2011, 07:25 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Oh wow, poor Mama and baby! You did an amazing job. AMAZING!

Congrats on your perfect little one!

March 16th, 2011, 10:25 AM
MomtoParker's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Poor little man AND mommy! I teared up reading it. I'm sure at this point he is doing great! Congrats!

July 13th, 2011, 10:08 PM
kdmommie's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I just read this today...6 months later. Wow! Poor little Isaiah had a rough time. Of course now he's just adorable.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search