My Birth Story--Arden Elise *pic heavy*

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2011 Birth Stories LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
February 10th, 2011, 03:36 AM
provosto's Avatar Mommy to Arden!
I am working on typing up my own but it's getting really long. My SIL is due in a couple weeks with their first also and she asked me if I could tell her how it was so I just emailed her. Instead of typing out a third one, I'll just copy and paste my email to her (so don't mind some of the commentary if it seems misplaced, LOL) instead.

It came out of nowhere. I had my last drs appointment on Friday and I was still only a fingertip dilated (same as I'd been since 37 weeks) and never felt a contraction, etc. I swore it'd be awhile until I had her. We took a long walk with the pups on Saturday and I felt some "mystery liquid" (my water never broke until they broke it for me) also so I was wondering...and I also had the first very tiny amount of blood after I peed so I was wondering but I still felt completely normal. We went out to dinner with some friends and as I was eating I was able to take about 4 bites before I felt completely full and done. We went back to their house and around 1130 I decided I wanted to go home because I was exhausted.

I woke up around 1am with my first contractions (they felt NOTHING like the Braxton Hicks did...my stomach didn't get nearly as hard either) and around 3am I woke David up and asked him to give me the iPod so I could time them. Around 530 they started to taper off (they were 7-10 minutes until then) and by 6am I was having no more than 4 an hour, if that. They were very random throughout the day but I was still very uncomfortable. I made sure not to eat much (toast and jam and a couple bites of veggie soup) that day and David bought me some Powerade to try to get my electrolytes up and stay hydrated along with my water. I figured I needed some type of calories though, regardless of where they were from.

At about 5pm they started to come back again I took a bath. I started timing them after that and they were about 7-10 minutes again and started to get closer and more intense. We knew we were going in sometime that night but I figured it'd be the middle of the night but once they got more intense and were almost 5 min apart, we decided to go. I wanted to at least get checked because of all the pain I'd felt, it had to have done something. All the contractions I had were very low (pelvic, legs, lower abdomen) and my stomach got a bit harder but not rock hard like it did with my BH's. We went to the hospital around 10pm and they set me up to the monitors. David liked to watch the contractions on the monitor LOL. She checked me after about 20 minutes and was shocked to learn I was already 7cm! She told us we did an awesome job of laboring at home, especially for first timers, and I was so proud of myself for being so far along already, LOL. It wasn't TOO terribly uncomfortable up to that point so I didn't think I was THAT far.

We transferred to the laboring room then and not much happened for a few hours but I definitely started loosing my mucous plug, lol. Around 1 or 2 she checked me again and told me I was at 8 and I was like seriously? I thought it would go faster than that. She broke my water then and within 15 minutes the contractions got extremely strong. A little bit later I got nauseous and started dry heaving/puking (fortunately I didn't have anything in my stomach) and she told me that was a good sign--sure didn't feel like it, lol. She told me the last 2 centimeters were the most difficult and I was bummed. She had put me on an IV a bit earlier because I couldn't drink enough without feeling nauseated and the baby's heart rate was a bit higher but I was able to get it taken off again once her heart rate slowed again. Shortly after I told her I needed to push and the doctor came in. I didn't have to push more than 20-30 minutes before she was born. The doctor asked if I wanted to feel her head and I told them no, I felt it plenty well from where I was but then a round or two of pushing later I asked to feel it because I didn't know if I was making any progress or not, even though they said I was. It felt really weird and I was worried how it'd be shaped when she came out (luckily it was good!)

When she came out she was completely clean which really surprised us. She didn't have any of the white vernix or "newborn goo" that we expected which was nice since they don't bathe the babies. 8lbs 2oz and 20.5" long!

Not much longer for you though! Definitely be prepared because I had absolutely no idea it was coming until it was there...came out of nowhere! The midwife told us we did an amazing job and she was pleasantly surprised because she always has bad experiences with Americans and they always want epidurals, etc...so she expected me to also. David was awesome throughout the labor though and I don't know how women can do it without someone there. I felt bad for him because when I was pushing I decided I was going to bite his shoulder/arm, LOL...I didn't want to scream and the way I was laying when I was pushing put his arm right there so I bit him. Oh well...I felt some pain, he felt some pain, haha. I'm so very grateful that I had a perfect pregnancy, perfect labor, and now a perfect baby! It couldn't have gone any better if I tried.
Just got to the labor room:

Welcome to the world, Arden!

Daddy cutting the cord:

The loves of my life:

Her hospital ID bracelet, LOL! They are very lax on security here but she never left our side. I didn't even have an ID bracelet to wear!

Her stat card:

Breakfast the next morning--I LOVE the little swing bassinets! I wish I had one here, haha:

Going home! She looks "gansta" to me, LOL...it's her version of the backwards baseball cap! I forgot her knit hats at home so we just grabbed a big ol' hat:

Last edited by provosto; February 10th, 2011 at 03:40 AM.
February 10th, 2011, 06:32 AM
Platinum Supermommy
What a great story!! Way to go mama!! She's gorgeous.

*Thank you kiliki for the siggy!*

Mom to Kennedy (2/19/11) and Caleb (8/6/12) and Expecting #3 10/13/14
Life As We Know It
February 10th, 2011, 08:07 AM
SouleBaby's Avatar Lovin My Boyz!
I'm so glad that things went really well for you! What a great story! Love the pics!

Thank you GreysMom for my awesome siggy!!!!

February 10th, 2011, 08:16 AM
~EmilysMama~'s Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Sounds like an easy labor! Congrats! I love the pics.

Thank you to pattyandthemoos for my great siggy!

February 10th, 2011, 08:23 AM
CalSara1980's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Your story sounds perfect to me! Arden is a beautiful baby. I love the hospital bracelet & the baby hammock. LOL about the silly Americans always wanting epidurals...sounds about right!

[

February 10th, 2011, 08:39 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CalSara1980 View Post
Your story sounds perfect to me! Arden is a beautiful baby. I love the hospital bracelet & the baby hammock. LOL about the silly Americans always wanting epidurals...sounds about right!
It made me laugh. I was happy that they aren't as common over here though because going into it I knew I wanted to deliver her naturally and it was certainly easier to stick to my plan since I didn't have nurses coming in and asking like I think they would in the US. Aside from my pre-registration last month, no one asked me if I wanted an epidural or anything so I didn't have to "resist temptation" or be bothered by people asking.
February 11th, 2011, 08:10 PM
IAMommy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
She is so adorable! I love her little cheeks. Do they let you keep the id bracelet? What a great keepsake. Thanks for sharing your story and great job on the natural birth.
February 12th, 2011, 01:53 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by IAMommy View Post
She is so adorable! I love her little cheeks. Do they let you keep the id bracelet? What a great keepsake. Thanks for sharing your story and great job on the natural birth.
Yes, we did! It will definitely be going into her little baby book!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search