Caroline Elizabeth (don't read if your nervous about complications)

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2011 Birth Stories LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
February 11th, 2011, 08:49 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Background:
8 days after I had my son Wyatt, I went to take a nap and felt and pop, and then what felt like my water breaking again. I looked down and saw blood dripping off the bed. I called the OB and she told me to rub my belly. Everytime we pressed, huge clots the size of your foot would come out along with more blood. I still had those massive diapers from the hospital, so I put one of those on. It was filled and I had blood dripping down my legs within minutes. So, I told Jared screw this, and I had him take me to the emergency room. As I stood up I felt everything start to go black. When we finally got there, they had me sit down to fill out some forms. I lookd up and saw the lady across from me starting with huge eyes and jump up and run to the front desk, I looked down and there was more blood runnign down the legs of the chairs..... I was hemmoraging badly. They ended up wisking me away for a D&C. MY husband was told it would take 15 minutes tops and i could go home later on that same day. I remember feeling this huge urge to tell everybody I spoke to to not let them take my uterous. That I needed it for another baby. I remember the nurses laughing as I was put under. That 15 minute D&C took 3 hours. Nobody updated my poor husband, and he saw them rushing in and out of my room with coolers. When I got out of surgery, the OB said that she had had to replace my entire blood volume and I would need more blood thru the night. She said she just kep scraping and scraping and the bleeding wouldn't stop! But she'd done everything in her power, and so long as the bleeding stopped, I wouldn't need a hystorectomy. This was the on call OB. The next day the OB that delivered my son came in the room and told me I was lucky she wasn't on call, becaus she would have just done the hystorectomy. Then she turned and walked out of the room. I spend 4 days in the ICU and 3 days in PP recovering. I was told I shouldn't have any troubles having another vaginal deliver, tho nobody knew what had happened or cause this.

Carolines birth story:
I started having elevated blood pressures around 32 weeks. They continued to rise throughout the remainder of my pregnancy, and the OB ( a new one who i ADORE) decided iour safest route was to induce at 39 weeks. January 14th, I arrived at L&D at 5am. They began the induction with pitocin. Everything seemed to be going fine, except that I wouldn't dialate. They upped the pit until I was up as high as it would go. Finally, around 2pm, I had dialated to a 2. I went ahead and got the epidural. When the nurse checked me, she looked alarmed and said she felt what she though might be my placenta coverin the entire cervex. I had started bleeding. She rushed to get my OB. He checked and felt it as well. He said it was thick like a muscle. So, they did an ultrasound. My placenta was high up near my stomach. What they were seeing on the US was scar tissues. And alot of it. It was as thick as a placenta and completely covering the opening to my cervex. He said that it was stopping me from dialating, and the baby's head wasn't able to push thru it to put pressure on it either. He couldn't even get the hook up there to break my water. We talked and he agree'd to allow me to labor for one more hour while he watched the monitors carefully. I just wanted to be SURE that I wasn't going to magically dialate. I had never had a c seciton before, and Ididn't want any lingering doubts about "what if". After that hour was up, he said he couldn't allow me to continue. There was a large fear of uterine rupture. They wheeled me back for a c section. I don't remember much about the c section. There was alot of pushing and pulling and my husband looking worried. They kept telling him to sit down. He's the over proctive sort. Then they pulled her out. He remarked how TINY she was... Jared said she looked just like Ella. Everything went fuzzy after that. Sometime in there Jared went off to the nursery with baby, and they finished up with me and wheeled me into recovery. 15 minutes later Jared arrived with baby Caroline, and we nursed right in the recovery room. It was really great. Nothing like I had feared at all! Caroline was beautiful and healthy and 6 pounds 14 ounces.
The OB came in and spoke with us later. His first remark was that Caroline was seriously a miracle baby. He said that with the amount of scar tissue, he wasn't sure how it was possible for me to have CONCIEVED her. He said that had I attempted to delivery her at home, I would have bled severly from the labor... and that she wouldn't have been ablet o be born vaginally. Then we heard the scaries part. I had had a placenta accreta. It had eaten into my uterine was and was nearly attached to my somach. Even removing it could have easily caused me to hemmorage... or worse. I had gotten very lucky. Placenta accreta's usually end up very badly. He believes that is what happened with Wyatt's birth as well. When he was delivered, the OB was very quick, and was in and out in 10 minutes. She never took the time to see what was going on. When Carolines OB deloivered my placenta, he saw part has sheared off and was still attached to me, so he went to look. When I was in the ER after Wyatt's birth, I passwed what looked like a liver. It was a very large piece, and I had to push to get it out. Somehow, they lost this in the er and therefor couldn't test it. My old OB was very shady. I am able to have another baby in the future, if I can still concieve after all of this. But I will have to be high risk and have a c section at 38 weeks.
Caroline is our miracle baby. She is beautiful and healthy, and the kids adore her. We were both very lucky that god was looking out for us. And woudlnt' you know it... once I got checked into the ER my blood pressure was never higher than 120/80! lol
February 11th, 2011, 09:06 AM
Rockstarmama's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Wow! I had no idea! I am so glad things turned out how they did! God bless your new OB!

February 11th, 2011, 12:27 PM
MomtoParker's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Goodness! That is quite the story...glad that you are okay!!!

February 11th, 2011, 03:31 PM
lillermom99's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Wow. I am soooo happy that things worked out as they did and you were able to get some clarification around Wyatt's birth and that everyone made it out safely. What a blessing!

February 11th, 2011, 05:02 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Of course I had to check out this story after the disclaimer
Thanks for sharing, it was seriously an amazing story. I'm so glad you made it in time to the hospital after Wyatt's birth and that you were able to get some answers about what had happened. Congrats on your little girl
February 17th, 2011, 02:38 PM
Isaeph's Avatar Jennifer the Momma
Oh my! Placenta accreta is a scary deal. I'm sooo glad you have COMPETENT, caring doctor this time. Wow.

Crunchy, conservative, Christian, homeschooling, breastfeeding, co-sleeping, not-vaccinating, cloth-diapering, baby-wearing, ec-ing, unassisted-birthing, breastmilk donating, Momma to 7yo, 4yo, 2yo, 2mo.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search