Emerson Noah

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2011 Birth Stories LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
February 13th, 2011, 05:22 PM
*~~Shannon~~*'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
One of my big concerns with the pregnancy was the thought of going into labor. How would I know it was time? What would it really be like? Etc... Given that I was induced with Liam, I didn't know what to expect this time around.

On Monday 2/7 (at 36w2d pregnant), I had an OB appt. I told him about my increased discharge, changes in BH, among other lovely things. He said he guessed I had 1-2 weeks left before the baby would arrive. I was excited, but didn't put too much stock into that idea.

Two days later, Liam and I spent the morning with some friends at a playdate. While we were there, I noticed a couple of contractions, but blew them off as BH. We went home and I got ready for work. Again, a few contractions, and even though they were stronger, I ignored them. At 2:30, I hopped in the car and headed off for work.

While I was driving, I noticed that they go much stronger and started glancing at the clock with each one. They were 3-4 minutes apart. I drove the 35 minutes to work, trying to convince myself that it was nothing. I was about half an hour early for work, so I decided to go out and take a quick walk first. They kept coming 3-4 minutes apart and got stronger, so I went into work and told my boss I was officially starting maternity leave!

I drove to my mom's house a few blocks away and called DH. I told him that it would probably fizzle out, but that he should go ahead and pack bags for DS and I (because, of course, I hadn't done them yet!). My mom and I went for another walk and the contractions just kept coming. After 45 minutes or so, I couldn't talk through most of them. I called DH and told him to meet us at my mom's and we'd figure out where to go from there. I called my doula and told her I was in labor and would call her with more info later.

I called my doctor's office. Even though my contractions didn't exactly hurt (except in my lower back), they'd been going for more than 2 hours at 3-4 minutes apart. They said I should go to L&D. DH, DS, my mom and I all headed off. They hooked me up to monitors for a while first and they were off the charts, so I was SURE there had to be some good cervical change. Nope. 1cm/70%.

Because I was a VBAC patient, they couldn't release me still having contractions, so I was admitted, but they sent me off to go walk the halls for a while. After an hour, although the contractions were too strong for me to talk or walk through, there was still no change. I literally almost cried. After another hour, I was 1.5cm/90%. They decided to give me an injection of morphine and something else in hopes that it would relax me enough to allow my cervix to open. Considering my last labor was 26 hours, I totally expected this to be a long labor too.

Can I just say, back labor is terrible! I got a more comfortable room and the shot around 11pm and was finally able to relax a bit. I wasn't actually able to fall asleep, but it was still a big improvement. Around 2am (roughly 12 hours into labor), I asked the nurse to start filling the tub. She said I couldn't get into the tub until she got the the wireless monitor set up. After an hour, she still couldn't get the darn thing set up, so I just asked for the epi. The morphine had worn off and my back was killing me again. 3am, I'm writhing in pain with contractions in my back and the anesthesiologist was taking forever to show up. When he finally gets there, he's yawning and whining that I woke him up. Yay, sorry

After the epi, they check me again. This time, I'm 4cm/100%. It's probably about 3:30 or 4 in the morning by this point. Around 6am, the nurse checks me again, and I'm 6cm and the bag was bulging. The on-staff OB came in and broke my water to encourage things along. When my water broke TONS of fluid came out. Even the doctor was surprised by the amount. My nurse stayed with me to monitor the baby's reaction and that's where things got crazy.

Baby's heart rate started decelerating significantly with every contraction. Even though it came right back up each time, the amount it dropped was too much. The next thing I knew, I was swarmed with doctors and nurses. They put internal monitors on the baby and I could hear how low his heart rate was going and I started freaking out too. The nurses were flipping me side to side and up onto my hands and knees trying to find a position that might help him. I had an oxygen mask shoved in my face and they attempted an "amnio infusion" which is where they temporarily fill the amniotic sac with saline to relieve some pressure on the baby. Nothing helped. At this point, I thought DH had been taken from the room because I hadn't been able to see where he was the whole time. Turns out, he'd basically been shoved to a corner.

My OB joined the swarm of teal scrubs. He explained what I already knew; the baby wasn't handling contractions well at all and it was time for a c-section. The next thing I knew, nurses were getting me ready to move to the OR. One nurse told DH to go ahead and put scrubs on, but to be prepared that he may not be able to come in. I was warned that if they couldn't top my epi off quickly, they would be putting me under for the surgery. In the OR, the neonatoligist was waiting. She told me she was called in to check the baby's condition at birth due to the fact that he was technically preemie and had significant decels.

It was like a beehive in the OR. There was so much activity, it was crazy. Before I could realize what was going on, they were cutting into me. A nurse chimes in and says, "do we have time to get the husband?" They told her yes, but they weren't waiting. DH said that he barely got into the room to see the pulling the baby out. The cord was wrapped around the baby's neck, under his arm, and back around his neck again. He was essentially strangling himself.

He was very blue when he came out, but pinked up pretty quickly with the NICU staff. I freaked out a little when he didn't cry right away. (ha, as if I wasn't totally freaked out already). But within a few minutes, he was doing great. The NICU staff left said the baby was fine to stay with the usual L&D staff. By then, the tone of the room changed. Everything was less stressed.

Emerson Noah was born at 7:37am. 6 pounds 11.5 ounces, 19 inches long. Offically, he was born at 36w5d, so he was technically "preterm" but other than having to go through a few extras tests, he's been great.

I'll add some pics later!

Last edited by *~~Shannon~~*; February 14th, 2011 at 09:45 PM.
February 14th, 2011, 10:11 AM
Adelyns_Mommy's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Cliff hanger!!!
February 14th, 2011, 11:00 AM
SuperMom to the 10thpower
oh the suspense!

Visit my Tupperware site!http://my2.tupperware.com/tup-html/C...s-welcome.html
February 14th, 2011, 03:23 PM
Rabbit8's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
That made me laugh because I think I know exactly what happened....baby calls and we come. LOL
February 14th, 2011, 06:54 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Oooh...way to leave us hanging! =) I can't wait to read the rest!!

Wow what a story!! The cord wrapped everywhere certainly explains the dropping heartrate, poor little guy!! It must have been scary with an emergency c-section. My c-section birth wasn't a complete emergency and I was scared!

Emerson is such a cutie!! I'm glad that he and you are doing so well!!!

Last edited by farm-mama; February 15th, 2011 at 12:59 PM.
February 14th, 2011, 07:48 PM
Super Mommy
COME ON!!!!! lol... you're a tease.
February 14th, 2011, 10:41 PM
*~~Shannon~~*'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
ok ok! Its finished!

February 15th, 2011, 05:58 AM
pinkalicious75's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
what a riveting story! I'm so glad for you that all ended up well. congrats again
February 15th, 2011, 10:24 AM
pattyandthemoos's Avatar Administrator
Wow, sounds like a scary situation. My birth story with Brandon was similar, minus the cord being wrapped around him. I am so glad your doctor reacted quickly. Congratulations!

Missing my Mommy Weightloss & Fitness girls. You're the best!
February 15th, 2011, 10:33 AM
Super Mommy
wow...what a story! so glad everything turned out ok!
#2 on the way!

February 15th, 2011, 12:46 PM
Stacey's Avatar Super Star...mom to 6 ♥
omgosh how scary! So glad hes doing so well and that your dh was able to see baby being born.

February 15th, 2011, 02:25 PM
douglas678's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Wow! I would be so worried too. I'm glad both you and Emerson are doing well. Congrats. He is a cutie!

Thank you so much Badydoll213. It's beautiful!

February 15th, 2011, 04:45 PM
SuperMom to the 10thpower
Oh my goodness SHannon, I was on the edge of my seat cringing reading the rest of your story. How scary that all must have been. I'm so glad everything's good now and he's doing well.

Can't wait to see the pics

Visit my Tupperware site!http://my2.tupperware.com/tup-html/C...s-welcome.html
February 15th, 2011, 04:56 PM
Rabbit8's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
OMG what a scary situation for you guys!! I'm so glad it all worked out well, but how frightening.

Cannot wait to see the pics!!
February 15th, 2011, 09:35 PM
*Sharon*'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Wow! I'm so glad that all turned put very well, but that most have been scary. And it is awesome that you weren't put under and that your dh made it in time.

Sharon, wife to Noah; mom to Belle (12.5), Ryllan (10), Finn (6), and Zane (3).

Tags
birth story , march 11 birth story

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search