Grace Anabelle's Birth

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2011 Birth Stories LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
February 16th, 2011, 10:37 AM
ashnichole2326's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to ashnichole2326
I haven't been around in a while partly because I had no internet...and also because Grace came pretty early.
On January 3rd, I was at work and was really worried because all weekend and all day I had been having more braxton hicks contractions than ever...and they felt different. I had also had really bad swelling one night...so I called my OB and they had me leave work and go in.
The doctor measured me and it caused her to be concerned about my size...she said because I was measuring small she'd like to do a NST and an ultrasound.
The NST was fine, however my Gracie was only measuring at like 31 weeks...around 3 lb 14 oz. She said I needed to come back twice a week for NST and every other week for a scan.

I went back on the 6th...they had scheduled another scan BY MISTAKE...but thank goodness they had!! Grace was measuring very small and they found that there was decreased flow through her umbilical cord. I went back to the exam room after the ultrasound, got checked...I was 1 cm dilated and 70% effaced and a few minutes later I was signing papers to be induced at 6 AM that next morning....I was terrified, yet relieved that the issue had been discovered...because I have watched a friend bury her son who would be here today had she been so lucky to have had a scan to find a clot in his cord I truly feel so blessed to have had that "accidental" ultrasound that day.

So, on Friday, January 7th I was induced at around 7 AM...things were slow moving and around 9 PM there was no change, so they stopped my pitocin. Then, they gave me cirvidil and told me we would try again the next morning!!! At this point, I had had 5000 visitors...had been in labor for like 13 hours and was completely freaked out and really getting irritated.

The next morning, my favorite doctor showed up and checked me...I was dilated enough to break my water!! Thank goodness!!! So I had my water broke and pitocin started again at 9 AM January 8th....It took forever for me to get to 4 cm...and then I made it to 6 and it seemed like it was never going to change...I had the nurse check me like three times and I was still at 6. A few minutes after being checked, I really felt like Grace was coming...so I had the nurse come back and I was 10 cm and she was right there!!! They told me not to push cuz my doctor and the pediatrician needed to get there...and Jerrod was outside! So everyone was running around gathering people who needed to be there...it was insane!

I barely remember much about her birth to be honest...I was just sooo terrified because I knew she was so tiny. But it didn't seem to take long at all...around an hour or so at the most. I had an epidural and her delivery went very smoothly. I did have to have an episiotomy even though she was so tiny!! She was born at 9:58 PM January 8th (Elvis' Birthday ) She weighed 4 lb 1 oz, was 18 1/2 inches long and her head was 11 inches.

Once she was delivered, the doctor said "this isn't good"...of course I was then REALLY scared!! All I could think was that I was going to bleed to death and my baby would have no mother...
She explained to me that I had Placenta Accreta and that the delivery of my placenta was going to be difficult and that I would need to work extra hard while I pushed...and my goodness did she ever push hard on my belly every time....it was the most pain I had been in my entire life...I can't even explain it! It seemed to take FOREVER to get it out...and then they did and they were worried I was going to lose too much blood so they gave me something in my IV to slow the bleeding. They wouldn't let anyone near me until I was moved to my post-delivery room. They told everyone they could take a quick look at Grace but that they need not bother me.

Thankfully, I did not have to have any surgery...and they got my bleeding under control and I had no transfusions! They moved me to my room after Jerrod and I got to spend a little bit of time with Grace. I told them they could go ahead and take her to get cleaned up...because I wanted her to be clean immediately!! I waited and waited and they still hadn't brought her to me...so I called the nursery and they told me they were having a bit of trouble regulating her temperature but that as soon as she was alright, they would bring her in.

About an hour later, they brought her to us . She was perfect!! And as soon as she was with me, her temperature started rising really well. I was so exhausted that I honestly wanted them to take her for a few hours so I could rest, but they said it was MUCH better for her to stay with us...so she did. She stayed with us for 2 nights and then she had to go under the billi lights because she had jaundice. She was only in the nursery for a couple days thank goodness...and the day she came back to my room they finally released me. (They were keeping me because my blood platelet levels were decreasing)
Grace was released 1 week after her birth, after gaining back her birth weight. She has been doing fantastic ever since!!

Thanks GraysMama for my beautiful new siggy!
February 17th, 2011, 04:53 AM
IAMommy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Thanks for posting her story, glad they caught the cord problem early! What a blessing.
February 17th, 2011, 07:26 AM
~EmilysMama~'s Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Wow! Glad that they scheduled that scan! Congrats! She's beautiful.

Thank you to pattyandthemoos for my great siggy!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search