Katelyn's arrival....long

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2011 Birth Stories LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
February 17th, 2011, 07:22 AM
~EmilysMama~'s Avatar Mega Super Mommy
So, some of you may remember that I posted that I fell on the ice in my dad's driveway (on Jan 27) and cracked my skull so hard that I was convinced that I had broken my head! On the way to the ER, I called the OB/GYN and he told me to go straight up to L&D, as the ER wouldn't do anything b/c I was pregnant. I asked about my head and he said that it was probably fine! BTW-noone at the hospital was concerned about my head! The OB gave me a very basic neurological test and said I was fine! They monitored me for about an hour and a half to make sure baby was ok and that I didn't have any bleeding. So, when they determined she was fine and nothing was wrong, I was able to go home.

Friday, Jan 28- wake up feeling like absolute crap but attributed it to the fall. Went to work, ran some errands, tried to get Eric a b-day gift but my dad told me to go to Lowe's instead of getting it where I was at the time so I decided that I would go to Lowe's the next day, had dinner with my dad and step-mom and got home around 8PM. All day I noticed that I had chunks of gooy stuff come out when I wiped, but it was all clear, so I really didn't think anything of it. Pretty sure now that it was my plug. Anyway, put Emily to bed around 9PM and got in bed shortly after. Eric was at the movies with some guys he worked with. Back story to that- he planned this "man date" for about 2 weeks to go see a scary movie w/ some guys from work (I don't do scary movies) and joked for the 2 weeks that he knew I would go into labor that night b/c he really wanted to see this movie. Around 11PM, I woke up and felt like I was getting my period and thought, huh? that's weird. Then, I suddenly came to realize -and fully wake up- that my cousin told me that I'll know when I have a real contraction b/c it will feel like period cramps. (W/ DD1, I was induced and never had any contractions until they broke my water and then I didn't really remember what it felt like other than it hurt!) Anyway, I got up to pee and when I wiped, the paper was pink. They told me the night before when I went to L&D that if I started to bleed, to call, so I called.

The doctor told me that I was definitely describing contractions and that I should head to L&D again since I had fallen the night before. As I was on the phone with him, I had a small gush and was like, uh oh. So, I texted Eric and told him that I needed to go to the hospital, right in the middle of the movie!! He was right after all! I wasn't really in any real pain yet and told him I would meet him at the hospital, but he insisted on coming to get me. I called my dad to come get DD1 and everyone else to let them know I was headed to the hospital.

Eric gets home, is completely ridiculous and rushing around like I'm ready to birth a baby any minute! I was laughing at him b/c he was so out of hand with running around and wanting to leave, forgeting that we had a 3 year old upstairs! So, we finally leave and he is driving like a nut and the hospital is only about 2 minutes away. He was barely stopping at stop signs and lights and I had to keep reminding him that we wanted to arrive at the hospital alive! We get there at 11:30PM and check in. My contractions were 2-4 minutes apart, but not horribly painful. I was dialated to 2cms but only about 80% effaced. Oh, and the gush was NOT my waters! I must have peed or had some "goo" as the nurse called it. By 4:30AM, I was in so much pain and had been up since Friday morning at 6AM, the doctor ordered me a half of a dose of a morphine shot to try to help me sleep a little until he got there in the morning to break my water. The morphine did nothing for the pain, did not help me sleep, but instead, slowed my contractions down to about 12 minutes apart .

The doctor came in at about 9:30AM and was not thrilled that my contractions were so far apart. He checked me and I was at 5cms and 100% effaced. He wanted to start me on pitocin, but I was not really down for that, as I've heard that it makes contractions way more painful. He told me that I could get an epidural and then the pitocin. I agreed. He broke my water and I asked if I could wait a little to see if I would contract more regularly on my own (as I did with DD1). Well, nothing happened at all, so after an hour, I asked for the epi so I could get the pitocin. That was all set up and I was actually able to sleep once I got the epi. I got through the first bag of pitocin and still my contractions were 10 minutes apart. The doctor came in to talk to me around 3ish and told me that I was dialating nicely, but that if my contractions didn't start to get closer together within the next 2-3 hours, we would have to talk about a possible c-section. So, they started a SECOND bag of pitocin.

Thankfully, the second bag kicked the contractions up a bit and by a little before 5PM, I was contracting nicely. THe nurse checked me and said I was 10cms and wanted me to give a little push so she could see where her head was. When I pushed slightly, she was like, whoa, whoa, whoa, I can see her hair! STOP! So, the docotr came in, the nurses set up the room and after 3 small (and I mean small) pushes that took me only about a minute, seriously, Katelyn Ann Koller was born at 5:18PM! She weighed 7lbs 8oz and was 19in long and perfect!

PS. I never made it to Lowe's Saturday morning to get Eric's b-day gift, but a baby was a way better present than a ratchet set! And, she was born the day before his birthday, which I was happy about b/c I wanted them to have their own b-days. Also, the doctor told me that he was shocked that I got through as much pitocin as I did and wondered if the bag was actually water and mislabeled?! He was joking about that, of course!

Thank you to pattyandthemoos for my great siggy!

February 17th, 2011, 11:22 AM
CalSara1980's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
What a good story! I am glad to hear the pit wasn't a nightmare.

[

February 19th, 2011, 10:59 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I do remember you hitting your head and was worried when you went into labor just afterward. Sounds like everything worked out. Congrats on your new baby girl! She is the best birthday present!
February 20th, 2011, 02:41 AM
Mazzie's Avatar Super Mommy
congrats! Glad u didnt need a csec.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
February 20th, 2011, 08:50 PM
Veteran
Wow, I am jealous only 3 pushes! Love the name!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search