Tegan Victoria's Birth Story

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2011 Birth Stories LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
February 22nd, 2011, 07:14 PM
Isabelle's Avatar 3 Princes & 1 Princess
You know me....details, details! Plus this is going into her baby book so I wanted it very detailed. I just finished it now while it was fresh. Plus I had the nurse read me off my chart this morning and I got as much detail and time lines as I could.

Hope you enjoy it!

Tegan Victoria Evans Birth Story

Monday 2/21/11

6lbs 11oz ~ 19 inches

This is going to be long because I love details! Here goes…..

Saturday night 2/19 while sitting on the couch I noticed that I was very ‘wet’ and had tons of watery discharge. It happened twice in the night again where I had to get a towel and dry myself off. I knew something was brewing!

Sunday morning 2/20, woke up and was positive that my water was going to break. Still felt very wet and just weird. At 9:15am I was sitting at the dining room table and I bent down to help Logan put his big boy pants on when I felt a ‘gush’ come out of me. It was enough to soak thru my fleece PJ’s and onto the chair cushion. I had to smell it and look at it to be sure but I was pretty positive it was my water that just broke. I stood up and walked into the bedroom, past the bed where Doug was sleeping and into the bathroom. I calmly said to Doug, “my water just broke I think this is it”. To which Doug flew out of bed and almost broke his neck. ROFL.

I waited a while to call my OB because I wanted to see if I would ‘leak’ a little more. Sure enough I started to leak a little more and more. Nothing crazy like big gushes but enough to know I wasn’t just peeing myself and it was indeed my water breaking/leaking. Called my OB around 10:00am. It was the on call OB and who I knew didn’t do water births. But at this point I wasn’t concerned and had a feeling that I wasn’t going to get a water birth this time…..how right I was! So I call and explain what happened and she said to come into the hospital and get checked. If it wasn’t my water and I wasn’t contracting or dilated they would send me away.

Call my MIL to ask her to come over and then I jump in the shower. After we run around getting things ready and saying good bye to the boys, plus waiting for my MIL to arrive it’s about 1:00pm (I think) before we get to the hospital. I have a little more leaking but no contractions at all.

Check in at the hospital and then go up to the L&D ward. Get hooked up and baby looks fine. Nurse does a swab on me to see if I’m actually leaking fluid. The test shows that I am but not much. Nurse decides to do another type of amniotic test which involves inserting something into my vagina and then waiting 10 mins. for the results. Results showed after 10 mins. that I was actually leaking fluid. Really? No kidding. I could have told you that myself! She calls my OB and it’s decided that I’m staying, there’s no turning back now LOL. Oh and I am checked and I’m at 2cm dilated but not contracting.

Doug and I settle in for the afternoon. We watch TV, order room service, read, text and just hang out. I am being monitored every hour. Baby girl is fine and I’m not contracting.

We decide to go for a walk around the L&D floor. Walked for about half an hour. Nothing. My back started to hurt from walking so we returned to our room and I just swayed and rocked while watching TV. Hooked up again to the monitor and I was contracting but not in a pattern and not often. Just felt like BH contractions.

8:30pm – checked again. Still 2cm. OB tells me we need to talk about pitocin. I tell her fine but I don’t want to end up having a c/s and that I want the epidural guy on standby because I know how pit works! Game plan.

10:00pm – started the pitocin at a 4.

By 10:18pm I was 3cm dilated.

Shortly after that things get fuzzy for me because I was in a world of hurting pain. LOL.

Apparently the pitocin at a 4 was all I needed and the nurse said that I just needed a *whiff* of the pitocin and I ready to rock and roll. I asked her how high the pit goes and she says up to 20! She said some women have it turned to 20 and still nothing! I guess I'm a light weight. LOL

Really feeling the contractions and I have to hold Doug’s hand thru them and I tell anyone who can hear me to get that Epidural guy in here ASAP. Well…he’s not in the hospital, he’s home…..30 mins. away. I remember telling Doug to go out to the nurses’ station and tell them to call him NOW. I was frantic at this point.

Nurse comes in and tells me that OB wants to turn up the Pitocin to a 6. My body couldn’t handle the pitocin at a 4. I told the nurse don’t touch that Pitocin! Nurse tells me that that’s all she needs to hear…patient denies pit turned up (she winks at me and walks away). The nurse and I were both in tune with each other and knew I couldn’t handle more pit. Loved that nurse J

11:00pm – on my hands and knees completely naked on the bed rocking thru the contractions. Extreme pain. Extreme. I was 5 to 6 cm dilated, 100% effaced and at +1. I remember yelling “Where the F*** is that epidural guy?” And the hilarious nurse who is standing next to me says “he’s outside the F****** door changing into his scrubs”. She was a riot! I told her I didn’t care what he was wearing and to get in now. All sounds funny but I was in a world of pain at this point. And I will say this …..it’s so funny how each birth is different each time around. When I gave birth to Gavin almost 2 years ago I actually walked into the hospital at 6cm dilated and felt not an ounce of pain. With Gavin I got into the tub (water birth) and after 3 hours of labor and no pain meds I gave birth to Gavin totally PAIN FREE. Totally. It was an amazing birth. So it’s very interesting to see how the body reacts to pitocin. When forced into labor I was in agonizing pain at 6cm ~ when my body went to 6cm naturally (probably in the car ride to the hospital with Gavin – LOL) I was in no pain whatsoever. Interesting.

Back to 11:00pm and being naked on my hands and knees on the bed……..

Epidural guy walks in at 11:00pm. What a sight I must have been! Poor guy gets an eye full of a naked woman on her hands and knees on a bed rocking back and forth in agony. Sure it’s not the first time and won’t be his last time! At that particular time I couldn’t have cared less who was in that room seeing me like that. Extreme pain calls for extreme lack of modesty!

Now here comes the most painful part. Doug was asked to leave the room and I then had to SIT on the edge of the bed (like you see on TV) and rest my body against the nurse standing in front of me. Meanwhile I’m having contractions that are almost making me puke with pain but here I am having to sit still. It was insane. I think I had about 4 contractions during the span of time it took the epidural guy to do the procedure. I just kept saying to him “please hurry” “please hurry”. Finally after 10 mins. it was over. Now I’ve had spinal surgery (a spine fusion as a teenager) so I was very concerned that it wasn’t going to work. I had briefly explained this to him in-between contractions when he walked in and I told him my last epidural (with Shaun) did not work. This guy rocked because he made sure it worked for me this time J

I lay back down on the bed and I can’t stop shaking. My legs and entire body are shaking out of control. I almost shook myself off the bed and Doug and the nurse plus myself were all holding my legs and trying to stop me from shaking so much. It was just the reaction to the epidural. Finally my legs started to numb along with my belly. It was honestly the best feeling in the world and I looked at the epi guy and told him I was going to marry him and that I loved him very much! Doug was roaring laughing and the epi guy said he gets marriage proposals daily from women in labor – ROFL. He was a super nice guy and was expecting his 4th baby girl within a few months. So cute!

Okay..so

11:00pm epidural is in (well..more like 11:10pm epidural is in and working). I cannot feel contractions but then suddenly at 11:50pm I felt massive pressure in my bottom. I said I had to push and I was in pain but it was pain I could tolerate. I was checked and I was 10 cm dilated. Time to rock and roll.

My nurse told me later that I literally just got the epidural in time. Because it was literally 40 mins. after getting my epidural that I was fully dilated!

11: 50pm ~ I needed to push. Doug videotaped the entire birth and it was amazing to watch after. I’ve watched it a handful of times and to see Tegan come out of my body is the most amazing thing I have ever witnessed ~ that and her 3 brothers doing the same thing J

12:17am (Monday Feb. 21st) Tegan Victoria enters the world.

I didn’t tear or need to be cut. The cord was around her neck and the OB had to cut it but she was fine. My OB was amazing because I didn’t feel any discomfort when she delivered the placenta for me. It was amazing.

So, all in all I had active labor for approx. 2hrs and 17 mins. And then I pushed for about 25 mins.

I was exhausted pushing because it was after midnight and I was so tired. We had been at the hospital pretty much all day and I had been up since about 6am. So I was exhausted. And I think the pitocin was kicking my butt and really knocked the wind out of me.

Last but not least I almost puked all over Tegan as I went to breastfeed her shortly after her arrival. I sat up too quickly in the bed and it made me sick, a reaction from the epidural. I literally had to pass Tegan to Doug and then I vomited, luckily the nurse had just bathed her and threw the little pink bathing tub to me and that’s what I puked in! Fun! Talk about team work! Doug was the catcher, the nurse the pitcher and I was the puker.

So I think that’s my birth story. Thanks for reading this. I’ll be putting this into Miss Tegan’s baby book.

February 22nd, 2011, 07:50 PM
Sandy-Ra's Avatar Super Mommy
she's too cute

February 22nd, 2011, 07:58 PM
J_Lee's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Great birth story! You did a great job mama, and Tegan is gorgeous!

February 22nd, 2011, 08:04 PM
AJD04's Avatar Abby
Great birth story, Joanne! Had to come over and check it out. I'm just a TAD bit nervous for our little guys arrival now.... haha

February 22nd, 2011, 08:57 PM
mmten7's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Great story! Congrats...she's adorable.

Thank you so much mylene169 for my awesome siggy!

February 23rd, 2011, 03:00 AM
Mega Super Mommy
great story!! I loved it! she's so beautiful

February 23rd, 2011, 05:32 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Loved your story and all the details. Great job and she is beautiful!

Photo Tinks by WiddlyTinks.com

February 23rd, 2011, 09:48 AM
joellejello's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Great story, I love the humor you have in your writing! And she is a DOLL!

February 24th, 2011, 08:27 AM
Momo's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Love your birth story! Good job mama! Sounds like you had great staff on your team! That really makes all the difference!

Clara's here! 5/13/11

I love my two handsome boys!!!
Jetty - 8/06
Jude - 9/08

February 25th, 2011, 10:09 PM
LovingMyLittleMan's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Peeking in from May DDC....congrats and she is beautiful!! Great birth story too!!
February 26th, 2011, 08:41 PM
Beth04's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Love your story and love your cute little girl and her awesome name!

thank you gypsystar for my wonderful siggy!
February 27th, 2011, 09:12 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Great birth story Jo. Pitocin is brutal, had it with Brandon and ugh I don't wish that on anyone. Also happy your epi guy, nurse, Doug and yourself came together as a team and made it through this lovely journey in one piece.

Glad Tegan is finally here.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Food Diary

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search