Okay, my FINAL update!

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2011 Birth Stories LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 1st, 2011, 11:50 PM
SEAmama's Avatar Veteran
Avery is HERE! It was a looooong, crazy journey but she's here. Here's the long of it:

I went into "pre labor" (as you guys know) on Thursday with my amniotic fluid starting to leak. And that lasted until Saturday afternoon with lots of crampy, painful ctx. Well, around 8pm Sat night, the ctx got t be about 6 minutes apart and more painful. I labored by myself in bed until about 2 am when it got to be too much so I woke SO. He was pretty freaked out and after timing them from 2-3am at about 3 minutes apart, he decided to call my midwife team. They arrived and hurried around putting the tub together and what not. I was in a good amount of pain and was pretty freaked out. The being scared made the ctx a whole lot worse than they needed to be.

They allowed me to get in the tub after they filled it (around 4am). It was delicious. The water felt great and helped soothe me. My ctx slowed to one every 5-7 minutes, which was a nice break. During each ctx I was vocalizing really loudly with an "ahhhhh" or "ohhhh" sound. It had been helping way earlier in the night but by almost 5am, it was just giving me an outlet for my fear. So, I mentally had to check myself and change my technique so I could deal with the pain. I started telling myself to stay in my head during a ctx and just let my body do what it needed to do. That worked. And it worked well. I calmed down and everyone had a much better time.

My MW checked me when she got there at a little after 3 and I had gotten to 3 cm and 80%. At 6am, they checked me again and I had progressed to 4 cm. They didn't check again til nearly 10am and by that time I was a 6. My MW was really pleased with my progress and we were all pretty optimistic. So, I continued to labor in the tub. I chatted with SO, with the midwives, ate peanut butter crackers, drank apple juice (nothing more to eat though as I had previously vomitted) and whatnot. Overall, things went well and life was good. The ctx hurt but were manageable.

I got checked a bit later in the afternoon (maybe 1 or 2?) and I was still at 6 cms but she could stretch me to a 7. I was a little disappointed. So, my MW had me get out of the tub (boooo) to walk around, climb the stairs, etc. It was kinda nice to stretch my legs and the stairs actually helped my ctx. I went into transition around then so everything gets a little foggy. What I do know is that at 5pm, my MW checked me and I was STILL at 6cm and she thought the babies head was transverse. At that point, she accidentally ruptured the rest of my water.

BOYO! Not having my water made those ctx SO MUCH STRONGER! And because the baby was transverse, they wanted me up, doing acrobatics to change her position. They had me walking stairs til I was dripping sweat, squatting through ctx, side-lying (which I absolutely detested), on the toilet... basically anything anyone could think of to turn her. I eventually got back in the tub because the ctx were so bad. I did maybe 12 ctx there (bellowing, screaming and clawing) before I told my MW that I had to stop. It just had to stop. She had already suggested the hospital but I hadn't previously wanted to go, I REALLY wanted my homebirth. But by this time, 7 or so, I couldn't do it anymore. It's one of the hardest decisions I've ever made.

My SO drove me to the hospital. I had maybe 4 or 5 ctx in the car on the way which were HORRIBLE... and I was the one giving directions. ! We rolled up to the ER door and SO wheeled me in, screaming like a maniac. A male nurse took me up to the birthing center. Through each ctx I was clawing and yelling, "make it stop, somebody help me". They put in an IV of fentinal(sp?) which took enough of the edge off each one that I could manage them (barely ). They put in an epidural and hooked me up to the monitors. The Doc was surprised because my ctx were so strong, unexpectedly strong (yeah, duh, that's WHY I'm here, I was saying in my mind). The pushed pitocin to try to get the ctx closer together. I slept a little on and off.

At around 10, the doc had me push HARD as he reached and tried to position her. We tried this several times but to no avail. She would budge and I wouldn't dilate past a 6. The Doc said that we could either wait to see if I could push her out in the next few hours or just do a C-Sec. He warned that if we did wait, we were risking putting her in distress from the pitocin. I asked for a moment with SO. We discussed it and, seeing as how I'd been stuck at a 6 for 12 hours, we thought things were unlikely to change and we didn't want to put her in distress. A C-Sec was decided upon.

It was literally 10 minutes after the Doc was back in the room before I was in the OR. On the way, I started shaking uncontrollably. I felt really sick. I kept telling them, "I'm too tired. I'm just too tired. I can't." The nurse reassured me that my reaction was not uncommon and just to shut my eyes. Shutting my eyes helped but I was still shaking like crazy. The strapped my arms down, put me on oxygen and draped me. Before I knew it, the nursery nurse was telling me that they had started. Then she said the head was out and then the chest. THEN I heard my daughter scream. I started to sob (or at least try, I had a hard time with the oxygen and epidural). They took her to a bassinet in the room to clean her up (I got to watch). Then SO brought her to my face so I could nuzzle on her. She was perfect! they untied me and laid her on the bed with me while they wheeled me back to my room.

I got to lay her on my naked chest for some skin to skin. She latched on within the first maybe 4 minutes of cuddle time. Then, I slept. Oh, dear sweet sleep! I slept on and off all night, while SO gave her a bath and got some cuddle time in.

Avery Xandra Taylor came into the world at 11:13pm weighing 6.6 lbs and measuring 19 inches long after 27 hours of active labor. She is in perfect health and has an excellent disposition. She eats well and poops well. We couldn't be any happier or any more in love! <3 <3 <3

We didn't get our home birth but our experience at the hospital has actually been quite lovely.

SO, Avery and I right after birth

Avery Xandra Taylor

Last edited by SEAmama; March 1st, 2011 at 11:58 PM.
March 2nd, 2011, 12:11 AM
Stacey's Avatar Super Star...mom to 6 ♥
Oh wow, what a birth story. Congratulations and welcome to the world Avery. She is beautiful!

March 2nd, 2011, 12:22 AM
Mommy3tx
She's so adorable. You did so well. Congratulations on a healthy baby.
March 2nd, 2011, 12:25 AM
Mega Super Mommy
What a beautiful baby! Congratulations!

March 2nd, 2011, 01:06 AM
DramaFreeMama's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Congrats!!!!!

Your story was definitely intense. Sorry you didn't get your homebirth but i think you made the right decision going to the hospital. Glad your beautiful baby is here and you are both doing well

Cece

Thank You Sharon for my beautiful siggy!

March 2nd, 2011, 03:38 AM
pinkalicious75's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
wow! What a story.
Glad to hear that all is well now
March 2nd, 2011, 03:53 AM
katidid622's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Congrats! She is adorable!! I commend you for trying everything to get the birth you desired but then realizing that in the end, whatever gets baby out is best. I had a similar experience (not the homebirth) with DD, where she was posterior, I got stuck at 6 and had a c/s after 30 hrs....so I definitely understand!

Do you LIKE JustMommies? Help us get to 5,000 fans!
March 2nd, 2011, 04:07 AM
Rabbit8's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Congratulations! Wow what a story! She's beautiful and you did a fantastic job.
March 2nd, 2011, 04:19 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Amazing birth story!!! I'm sorry you didn't get the homebirth you were hoping for, but I'm glad that you're feeling positive about your hospital experience and my goodness...Avery is ADORABLE!!!!

March 2nd, 2011, 04:20 AM
HorseGal's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Wow what a story. So sorry things didn't go as planned but everyone is ok in the end and thats what matters! She is a beauty!
March 2nd, 2011, 04:33 AM
wendy1134's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to wendy1134 Send a message via Yahoo to wendy1134
Wow what a story! Congrats on your new little bundle of joy!!
March 2nd, 2011, 05:23 AM
ambielove's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Oh wow thats a story... Im glad everything ended good and that you and baby are healthy! Shes beautiful

Thankyou Caitlin for my beautiful siggy
March 2nd, 2011, 05:54 AM
~Caroline~'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I'm sorry you didn't get the homebirth you wanted. But Avery is a cutie, congratulations!

March 2nd, 2011, 06:14 AM
*Sharon*'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
OMGoodness, that was such a long hard labor. Wow! You must be a trooper to have lasted that long!!!!! I'm sorry you didn't get a hb and ended up with a c/s, but it sounds like you are handling it all very well and she is doing great and that is what is most important. I'm glad that the hospital stay was a pleasant one. I've always had good luck with that too thus far. She is beautiful!!!!!!!

Sharon, wife to Noah; mom to Belle (12.5), Ryllan (10), Finn (6), and Zane (3).

March 2nd, 2011, 06:52 AM
Super Mommy
Congrats on your beautiful baby girl!
March 2nd, 2011, 07:33 AM
pattyandthemoos's Avatar Administrator
You did such a great job. My labor with Jeremy was very similar. I stayed stuck at about 5/6 cm forever. They were just getting to the point of talking about a csection when I finally started making progress. My labor was really long like yours and Katie's so I really understand those feelings.

Congratulations on your baby!

Missing my Mommy Weightloss & Fitness girls. You're the best!
March 2nd, 2011, 09:46 AM
SuperMom to the 10thpower
Congrats momma!! You did an absolutely fantastic job through it all, I'm glad you're positive about it all.

Visit my Tupperware site!http://my2.tupperware.com/tup-html/C...s-welcome.html
March 2nd, 2011, 09:53 AM
KoriNoel's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Wow, that is quite the birth story!!! You sound like you did fantastic though, especially under the circumstances. Congrats and she is adorable

March 2nd, 2011, 12:02 PM
Mega Super Mommy
She is absolutely beautiful. Amazing job mama!

Tags
birth story , march 11 baby alert , march 11 birth story

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search