Evan's birth story

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2011 Birth Stories LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 4th, 2011, 05:37 PM
OwensMommy25's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
On Sunday February 27th at 10:55 I was lying in bed when I started to feel something. I asked Jason to help me get to the washroom and as soon as I stood up, my water broke. After getting cleaned up, I texted my midwife who called me back shortly after. We planned for me to try to get some sleep that night and she would come assess me in the morning as long as things didn’t pick up through the night.
I started getting contractions 10-15 mins apart at around 12:00am Monday morning. They were painful but I could still talk through them. I could not, however, sleep through them. Monday morning I slept in 5-9 min increments (which honestly made me feel more tired).
My midwife, Lisa, and her student, Allison, came to evaluate me at 9:45. When they arrived the contractions had started to pick up in intensity. They checked me and I was 90% effaced and 3-3.5cm dilated. Lisa did a membrane sweep because the membranes were still attached near the head. (The membranes had ruptured further up) After the sweep, the contractions really started to get closer together and much more intense. At this point, things were looking fantastic for the home birth. Baby’s head had moved down to almost 0 station and there was a lot of pressure on my cervix.
At around 12:00pm on Monday , the contractions were 2-5 mins apart lasting for 45-60 seconds and extremely painful. I could not talk and I could barely walk through them. At this point, Lisa checked me again. My cervix had changed I was 4-5cm and almost completely effaced, however, the cervix had moved posterior and off to the left side. This is when the labour changed. The contractions became downright unbearable, there was no cervix pressure or stretching, it felt like baby’s head was grinding against bone.
At about 2:00pm the tone of the home birth changed. Lisa was getting worried. The contractions were extremely painful but my cervix was not changing and it was still off to the side a posterior. We tried several things to change the position of the baby and hopefully make for a more favourable cervix but nothing was working.
At about 3:00pm on Monday Lisa suggested we make our way to the hospital and consult with the OB on call. We both knew this likely meant a C-section, but we both felt something wasn’t right about the situation.
By the time I got to the hospital the contractions had slowed down, coming every 6-8 mins, but still very intense. They hooked me up to the monitors and were listening to the baby and keeping track of contractions. When I was checked again, there had been no change in my cervix and Baby’s head had moved up to -1 station.
The doctor came in to do a history and see what he could do for me, when the baby had a huge movement, which made me scream a little because of how much it hurt. After that movement, the heartbeat was lost. Lisa tried to find the heartbeat on the monitor again and was having no luck, after about 30 more seconds of trying a bunch of nurses came into the room; Lisa got in top of the bed and was frantically looking for the heartbeat. I was told to move to my right side, then my left. They put oxygen on me, they were trying to feel baby’s head through my vagina, but he had left my pelvis completely. Finally after 4 minutes, they found baby’s heartbeat at the side of my uterus. He had popped out of my pelvis and was lying transverse, with most of him squished up against the left bottom corner of my uterus. The suspect that baby’s heart rate went down to about 80 when he moved but by the time they found it again it was in the 130s.
I got into the operating room and they started the Epidural, which did not end up taking so I required a spinal as well. Evan was finally born at 6:01pm. He did have some meconium in his lungs and needed some help with clearing his lungs but his apgar was 8 and 9.
I had far less reaction to the spinal and epidural this time and I was able to sit up and breastfeed almost immediately. Evan took to the breast right away, which is amazing.
All-in-all I feel great about the experience. I’m disappointed slightly and the recovery has been very painful but I got to try to have a vaginal birth. My body tried really hard and if Evan would have been in a better position I would have done it!

Thanks to Pattyandthemoos For the wonderful siggy!

March 4th, 2011, 06:17 PM
Super Mommy
Wow, what a story!! I am so happy that things turned out in the end, but it must have been scary for you.

Hope you & the little one are recovering nicely.
March 4th, 2011, 06:25 PM
Jen7980's Avatar Veteran
I'm soo happy for you Sarah and I'm glad you and Evan are healthy. I can't wait to hear more about him.
March 5th, 2011, 04:30 AM
pinkalicious75's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
you did great Sarah! Sorry it wasn't an easy labor though

Congrats on your bundle, he is just such a cutie pie
March 5th, 2011, 05:09 AM
Super Mommy
Sorry it didn't go as planned, but congrats on your perfect little boy!
March 5th, 2011, 05:25 AM
Rabbit8's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Wow, what a story, that must have been the scariest four minutes of your life! I'm sorry you didn't get your home birth, but you tried very hard for it and it sounds like labor was pretty brutal, so good for you for making it as far as you did!
March 5th, 2011, 07:18 AM
Veteran
Wow- what a story! Glad you and your baby are safe and healthy now, but I'm sorry to hear the recovery has been painful.
Congratulations on your handsome little boy!!
March 5th, 2011, 07:47 AM
*Sharon*'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Sounds like you are in a very good place about the c/s. That is so good. You did all you can do to get a vaginal birth, but it just wasn't going to work. You are a trooper! You must be one tough momma. I'm so glad he is nursing well. That makes postpartum life much easier.

Sharon, wife to Noah; mom to Belle (12.5), Ryllan (10), Finn (6), and Zane (3).

March 5th, 2011, 04:01 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I loved hearing the conclusion to your birth story, Sarah. You did SO well and your body did amazingly. I'm sorry about your rough recovery, but it's wonderful that nursing is going so well this time! I'm super happy for you!! Evan is adorable!

March 6th, 2011, 07:38 PM
HorseGal's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Wow how scary! I'm so glad you got a healthy baby and things at least went a bit easier for you during your c-section.
March 7th, 2011, 06:41 AM
KimberlyAnn327's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Sounds a little scary! I'm glad he's here and safe and sound! I'm sorry you didn't get the experience you wanted, though. I know that can be disappointed. I'm happy he's doing well and that breastfeeding is going well, also. Congrats!

March 8th, 2011, 02:20 PM
Caitlin's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I am so glad you are at peace with the c-section. It sounds like your body was fighting really hard to get that VBAC!! I was worried about you when they said you did end up having the section. However, he is here now and SO adorable! You did so good!

Tags
birth story , march 11 birth story

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search