Blake Jacob's Birth Story

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2011 Birth Stories LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 7th, 2011, 11:29 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I was scheduled for a c-section on Feb. 25th, but my doctor was open to a VBAC if I went into labor on my own before that. Since I was already 90% effaced and 4 cm dilated at my 37 week appointment, it looked like a good possibility.

At about 4:30pm on Saturday, Feb. 19th I started to get some very noticeable contractions, but nothing consistent or more than I could manage. By about 6 or 7 that evening they were about 6 minutes apart and starting to get a little more forceful. I REALLY did not want to go into the hospital. I was hoping they would just stop. Around 8pm I hopped in the shower to try and relax. I also washed my hair and shaved just in case I did go into the hospital.

By the time I was done drying my hair, the contractions had gotten really painful. My MIL came over to spend the night and watch my son. My husband called our doctor and they told us to come in right away. We even got fussed at a little bit for waiting so long.

When I got to the hospital around 10:30, they hooked me up to all the monitors and I was having contractions 1 to 2 minutes apart. I was surprised when they did the cervical check to find out that I hadn't made any progress since my last check up.

It was not good to be in labor so late on a weekend for many reasons. The first was we did not know the on call doctor and our nurse told us "she was one of a kind" and "she wouldn't use her for her OB." I really wish she wouldn't have told us that, but I actually ended up liking the doctor. She was definitely one of kind though. Having to use the on call doctor meant a VBAC was out of the question since she didn't want to put her medical license on the line. Another issue with delivering on the weekend was we had wanted to donate the cord blood, but they don't collect on the weekend. We also wanted to have the baby in the recovery room with us right away, but once again because of less staff they don't do that on the weekend.

The nurse called the doctor, came back, and told us we would be having the baby within the hour. It was really hard not to freak out since I wasn't going to have my doctor perform the c-section. But everything moved so fast after that that I didn't get a whole lot of time to think about it.

They got my IV going. The nurse totally messed it up. It hurt so bad, but I didn't want to get poked again so I didn't have them fix it. They gave me something to stop the contractions and a whole bunch of other stuff.

I walked over to the OR and about 10 minutes later I got my epidural. The anticipation for the epi was much worse than actually getting it. It was done in 5 minutes and only stung for a second.

I was definitely much more numb this time around. My husband came in and all I felt was tugging on my stomach. I thought they were still doing something to prep me. I was shocked when I asked what was going on and the doctor said she was cutting out scar tissue. I didn't even realize she had started to cut me. With the first c-section I could feel everything they were doing.

It seemed like forever, but in reality was probably only about 5 minutes when the doctor said, "I see meconium" My husband had no idea what that meant, but I knew instantly that it was not good. Less than a minute later I heard that beautiful sound of a newborn crying for the fist time. I didn't get to hold him right away though because of the meconium. The whisked him out of there, but let my husband go to watch them get the meconium out. They brought him back about 5 or 10 minutes later and let me hold him for about 5 minutes. We didn't get to see him for another 6 hours after that so that they could observe him and make sure everything was ok. He had a really good APGAR though. It was 8/9.

We spent an hour in recovery, and then went to our rooms. I did not sleep at all! I was so ready to spend some time with my baby. Blake was born at 12:47 AM weighing 7LBS and 1oz. He was 19 inches long. I was 38 weeks and 2 days pregnant.

My recovery has been so much better this time around since I didn't labor this time around.

Thank you Katarina for my beautiful Siggy!
March 7th, 2011, 02:09 PM
Becky82's Avatar Super Mommy
So glad your recovery is going good!

Married to Steven since April 7, 2007

Our first miracle, Mariah Jade, was born March 21, 2011. She weighed 7 pounds 9 ounces!

Tags
birth story , march 11 birth story

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search