Brycen Cade's Birth Story March 6, 2011

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2011 Birth Stories LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 11th, 2011, 10:13 AM
BB4CaLs's Avatar Super Mommy
It's a little long, bear with me

It all started on Friday, I woke up to a very pleasant mucous plug in the toilet. I didnít think anything of it, as many women lose theirs and weeks go by before labor. I was a little nervous that some spotting continued but wasnít having any other signs of impending labor. I went to work Friday night and worked until 7am. I came home and tried to sleep, but woke up at 11:30 with some more cramping and spotting. The mucous discharge increased and so did the cramping. I wasnít sure I was having contractions yet, they just felt like painful period cramps. I tried timing them and they were all over the place some 7, 10, 15, 5 min apart. My mom was a nervous wreck and came over to spend the day with me because she was convinced I was in a labor and DH was out ice fishing. She made sure my hospital bag was packed and put everything by the door just in case . I stayed up all day, and the contractions increased but still were like 7-9 min apart, so I decided to go into work at 7pm. I figured if I need to go to the hospital Iíd already be there J I worked until 11pm and by then the contractions increased in intensity but were still irregular between 5-7 min apart. I wasnít able to focus on taking care of my patients without kneeling over in pain. I decided to go home and rest and see if they would increase. I went to sleep at 1am, and by 2:30, I woke up with intense pain. The contractions were coming almost exactly 5 min apart. I still was convinced I needed to stay home until they were 3-5 min apart. I was unable to sleep the rest of the night. I got up, did laundry, and rolled and bounced on the birthing ball trying to get through the contractions. Finally my 6am, I woke DH and told him to shower because we needed to go to the hospital. I couldnít take the pain anymore, the contractions were now coming 3-5 min apart and was annoyed that I couldnít sleep. I called the hospital and told them I was coming in!

We arrived at the hospital at 7am. They hooked me up to the monitors and the nurse checked my cervix. I was at 6cm already! I was thinking Iíd only be 3-4. I had never been checked at previous appointments so really had no clue where I would be. I opted for an epidural so they started my IV and placed my epidural. What a relief! I felt great for the next hour. However, my next check, I hadnít progressed much and was only 6-7cm. The doctor decided to start some pitocin. I really didnít want it, but I wanted to get the show on the road. The contractions really started to pick up, coming about every 1-3 min. I begin feeling them a little more as well. Baby was face up and had only slightly turned sideways, so they were hesitant to break my water until he turned. The nurse flipped me from side to side and it seemed like the epidural had worn off by that point. The contractions were so intense in my right side and back. About an hour later, I was 9cm and the doctor came and broke my water. He checked an hour later and I was only 9-10. The nurse upped the pitocin and even more intense pain began. She kept giving me boluses of pain medicine but I donít think they helped at all. She checked me around 1 and I was almost 10, there was just a lip of my cervix left, so she had me try a couple pushes to see if it changed anything. Finally I was complete and the pushing began. The pushing itself was intense. I wanted him out so bad. By far the worse pain and pressure I have ever felt. The doctor had to give me an episiotomy because I was beginning to tear. I pushed from 1:18 to 1:58 when Brycen finally arrived into the world, weighing 7lbs 15.5oz and 21 ĺ inches long! He was a lot bigger than everyone thought, considering on Monday they estimated him to be about 6-6 Ĺ lbs. He came out pink and crying and somehow managed to wrap his umbilical cord around his legs several times. He was still healthy and perfect as can be besides a squished little nose. His temperature was a little low initially but after two hours of kangaroo care, went right back up.

Our hospital stay was short and uneventful. He was at an 8% weight loss by Tuesday and was high intermediate risk for jaundice, but they still let us go home. I began pumping and supplementing briefly in the hospital and supplementing once with formula at home. My milk came in on Wednesday and we followed up with lactation that day. His weight was down to 7lbs 2oz, which was 10%, but the lactation nurse observed a feeding and wasnít concerned heíd lose much more. Heís a great nurser. His jaundice level was 15, but was still only high intermediate risk so he didnít need light therapy. Today his weight was up 7lbs 5oz and his bili level was down, so no more concerns there.

This has been the best life changing experience Iíve ever been through. I love him so much already. I canít wait to experience all the joys of being a mom!

2015!

My Ovulation Chart
March 13th, 2011, 09:23 PM
wintereast's Avatar Theresa334
Congratulations! How exciting.

March 14th, 2011, 08:45 AM
pinkalicious75's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
congrats glad to hear that all is well
March 14th, 2011, 04:52 PM
*Sharon*'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Congratulations! I enjoyed reading your story. You did fantastic!!!!

Sharon, wife to Noah; mom to Belle (12.5), Ryllan (10), Finn (6), and Zane (3).

Tags
birth story , march 11 birth story

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search