The birth of Gavin Joseph

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2011 Birth Stories LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 13th, 2011, 09:52 AM
Mommy2PrestonandGavin's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I was scheduled to be induced at 7:30 on Thursday morning, but I woke up at 1:30 in the morning with awful contractions 7 minutes apart. I didn't even bother to call the doctor, but just showed up. We got to the hospital and they just wanted me to rest and later my doctor even made the remark that she was kind of annoyed that I had come in so early until she saw how fast things progressed...

I was still only 2 cm dilated and 50% effaced when I got to the hospital. I had been having contractions all day and lost my mucous plug that morning. They wouldn't give me any type of pain medication so I drowsed in and out of sleep waking for the worst contractions. I was 3 cm dilated by 7:30 am so they started pitocin. After that the contractions were the worst pain that I ever felt in my life! They were one right on top of the other. I kept asking over and over for pain medicine, but the nurse was like let me just get your vitals, let me just get you all situated. So I started puking every time I would get a contraction and my whole body was shaking and I would kinda halfway breathe and halfway moan through it. The doctor came in because she heard me and I begged for pain medicine. They checked me and I was dilated to 7 cm! Gavin's heart rate kept dipping and the doctor was really getting concerned. They had me on oxygen and on my left side and it wasn't helping.

The anesthesiologist finally came to do my epidural and the guy literally stuck that needle in my back about 10 times. He kept shaking his head and he couldn't get it. He was saying something about how my nerves or fibers in my back were hard like bone. I'm not sure what the deal was with that because at another hospital with my first son, 2 years ago, they did my epidural in literally a minute and it was great. So anyway, the epidural only worked on one side so I continued to puke, shake and pant my way through the contractions. The doctor came in and said that she needed to go see her first patient of the day, but she didn't want to leave me and I said NO don't! I felt the need to push. She checked me again and I was ready to push. In the meantime, Gavin's heart rate was still dropping very low and he wasn't tolerating the pitocin very well. I pushed laying on my back, then they had me push on my side and finally they had me hang over the back of the bed with my butt in everyone's face and squat and push when contractions came. No matter how hard I pushed no progress was really getting made and his heart rate continued to dip. Finally we got to the point where the machine was going crazy and his heart rate was dangerously low so the doctor said we need this baby out of there now so she called a code pink.

My doctor used the vacuum with my next push and he was out within about a minute! He came out crying and was absolutely perfect! I, however, ended up with third degree tears that took about an hour to stitch up. I was still only numb on one side so she had to numb my other side while she stitched me up.

Gavin made his entrance into this world on 03/10/11 at 9:48 am. He weighed 6 pounds 9 ounces and was 20 inches long. We are working on nursing as my milk finally came in yesterday. He has a tendency to curl his lower lip in and pinch my nipple so we are working on that. I had the help of 2 lactation consultants in the hospital so that was nice.

The nurses took really great care of us and I have no complaints about the experience as a whole. I was pretty upset about the whole epidural thing though. On top of the third degree tears, my back is painful from all the areas where he stuck the needle in trying to get the epidural going. I'm just really glad the labor part is over and now I can concentrate on healing and raising my boys

(Thanks Katie for updating everyone since my hospital didn't have internet!)

Thanks Katidid622 for my adorable siggy!

March 13th, 2011, 09:27 PM
katidid622's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Congrats again, mama! Things didn't go perfectly, but Gavin arrived safe & healthy atleast! He is simply precious

Do you LIKE JustMommies? Help us get to 5,000 fans!
March 14th, 2011, 07:42 AM
pinkalicious75's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
wow! you never know how things will go

glad to hear that all is well.
he's a real cutie!
March 14th, 2011, 03:58 PM
*Sharon*'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
That sounds like a really hard, rough labor. That is so weird about the epi. I'm glad he is here and healthy!!!

He's adorable! I love his big, dark eyes!!!!

Sharon, wife to Noah; mom to Belle (13.75), Ryllan (11.5), Finn (7.5), and Zane (4).

Tags
birth story , march 11 birth story

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search