Jonah Avery's birth story!

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2011 Birth Stories LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 4th, 2011, 05:20 AM
TeamOSM's Avatar Super Mommy
So as you might have read, at my 35w4d OB appointment, my amniotic fluid was found to be at the lower level of normal...a 6.5. Five is considered low and 4 is low enough to be hospitalized. My OB had asked if I thought I had been leaking fluid, and honestly I didn't. So he prescribed taking it easy, upping my fluid intake, and hydrotherapy to try to get my levels back up. I did all of the above (with the exception of maybe doing a bit too much on Saturday (but thank goodness it got done!!).

On Sunday, April 3, 2011 after church, I noticed that my undies were a bit wet, and I thought it smelled a bit sweet, which is indicative of amniotic fluid. I was worried, so I decided to call my OB...better to be safe than sorry, right? So I called the answering service, and luckily my regular OB was on call! So he called me back, asked me what was up, and said that I should go to L&D to have a test done to see if I was indeed leaking fluid.

We got to the hospital a little after 2pm (we had to wait for the lovely, wonderful, spectacular Aunt Jan to arrive to keep an eye on Oliver for us...THANK YOU AUNT JAN!! <3) so of course while we waited I did dishes and straightened up and packed a bag just in case. We called the Grandmas and a couple of friends and then headed on out. The ER waiting area was the calmest I've ever seen, and the admitting staff was super nice. I was met by a wheel chair and wheeled up to L&D on the third floor. We were taken to room 316 (on a Sunday! lol) and waited to start the whole rigmarole of being admitted to L&D...tons of questions, monitoring baby, and finally getting to the test to see if the fluid I was leaking (which was a slow trickle) was indeed amniotic fluid.

There are two tests...one is a strip test that turns a dark navy blue instantly when it hits amniotic fluid. This test came back negative for me. There's a second test called Amnio-sure, which is a swab test that takes about ten minutes to develop. While we were waiting on that, my OB came in and did and ultrasound to measure my fluid pockets. The way they measure is they split your belly into four quadrants and measure the largest pockets they can find with no loops of cord in it. I had two quadrants with pockets, one measuring 1.5cm and one measuring 3.5cm. However, the 3.5cm pocket had tons of cord loops in it, meaning it couldn't be counted...so my fluid level was 1.5. So even though the Amnio-sure eventually came back negative as well, it was decided that we were having a baby!! The funniest part? 04/03/11 happens to be my friend Stephanie...or "Aunt Sappy"'s birthday. Divine appointment, I tell ya!

We had eaten lunch around 11am, so the anesthesiologist said we would have to wait until 5:30pm to be on the safe side to do the surgery. We called the Grandmas again and filled them in, texted a few folks, and by then, it was time to rock and roll!

For a repeat c/s, they perform a spinal block instead of an epidural. The spinal was SO much more effective than the epidural was! I could feel it almost immediately, and the entire process was far less traumatic than my epi had been (which was given to me while I was having one on top on another pitocin contractions last time...yikes!!). I was alert for both the c/s and the tubal after. Any time I had a complaint (woozy, groggy, etc.) the anesthesiologist adjusted and took care of me. I'm happy to report I didn't even vomit after the c/s! Hooray! The tubal didn't go quite as planned...because the blood vessels were enlarged, he removed a portion of the tubes instead of the whole things to avoid bleeding issues. However, things went smoothly, and I'm happy to report that we are done growing small humans in my body. Any other children we have will grow in our hearts through adoption.

Overall, I have to say my second c/s was even better than my first. We cracked jokes, laughed, and had a generally good time! My OB sang Jonah happy birthday as he pulled him out, and Levi got to take pics, cut the cord, and I even got to hold him after he was cleaned up! I didn't get to do that with Oliver, and it was really special. <3 My first thought when he cried was, "He sounds so tiny!!" Turns out he had a lot of mucus and such, and once that was cleaned out, he sounded more like a big boy. Jonah was born at 5:56pm, weighed 6lbs. 1oz., measured 19.5 inches long, and had a head circumference of 13.5! Big boy!

I will post pictures later today! Yay, baby!

April 4th, 2011, 05:28 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Awww Congrats!! I'm so happy that everything turned out great and you had a much better experience during your c-section with this one! He is a big boy especially for being that early!! Your little guy is finally here.. how exciting!!!!!

Mama to 3 boys and expecting #4 on 5/1/2013
14 DPO: HCG- 64.2 Progesterone:12.9
19 DPO: HCG- 887
Started progesterone supplements 8/28 (20 DPO)
27 DPO: HCG- 11,214 Progesterone: 15.8
1st U/S & 1st OB appointment- 9/10/2012 ~ HB 126 and baby looks good so far!!
April 4th, 2011, 05:46 AM
gypsystar's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Congratulations!!! I'm so glad you had a better experience! Can't wait to see pictures of your little guy <3!

Forever Missing Katriel Star (17 weeks) and Sebastian Judah (14 weeks)

April 4th, 2011, 05:54 AM
Mommy to Lil Miss Boss
Congrats!! Glad you had a great birth experience

Thank you GraysMama for my beautiful siggy

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
April 4th, 2011, 06:27 AM
CrysG's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Congrats Momma! Can't wait to see Jonah!!! I'm glad things went so much better this time around!!!

April 4th, 2011, 06:39 AM
RUNNER25's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
It sounds like you had a wonderful birth experience- so happy for you.

Can't wait to see pics of the new little guy!

April 4th, 2011, 07:15 AM
Super Mommy
oh that is soooo awesome!!!! we've missed you!!! Glad you and the LO are doing well!
April 4th, 2011, 07:18 AM
Beth04's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Congrats, I'm so happy for you that you already have your little one and things went so smoothly! Can't wait for the pics!

thank you gypsystar for my wonderful siggy!
April 4th, 2011, 07:19 AM
LaurKnotter's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Congrats!!! Great birth story!
April 4th, 2011, 07:32 AM
Courtney411's Avatar Super Mommy
Congrats!!

An organ donor saved my baby's life, read our Blog here: www.katelynsmarathon.wordpress.com
April 4th, 2011, 07:36 AM
AJD04's Avatar Abby
YAY! Congratulations Lisa, Levi, & Oliver!!!! So happy to hear everything went well for you and you have a healthy baby in your arms. Love the name too!

April 4th, 2011, 07:56 AM
Randijo2's Avatar Mommy of 4
Congrats! That's awesome he was so big! Way to go momma, can't wait to see pics.

April 4th, 2011, 08:22 AM
*~Candy~*'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Congrats!I'm glad he made it here safe and sound and I love his name!

April 4th, 2011, 08:32 AM
Momo's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
What a great birth story! So glad it went nice and smooth!

Clara's here! 5/13/11

I love my two handsome boys!!!
Jetty - 8/06
Jude - 9/08

April 4th, 2011, 08:33 AM
3TeamH's Avatar Hayley
Welcome to the world Jonah!

April 4th, 2011, 08:41 AM
JeremysmommyErin's Avatar *Erin*
I am so glad to hear that everything went great! I cannot wait to see pictures of your little guy

Thank you for the wodnerful siggy Tabatha!

http://erinhodge.co.cc/

April 4th, 2011, 08:48 AM
Gray_baby's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Congrats! That's great that the spinal went better than your epidural with your first son. It sounds like you had a great birth experience, that's awesome! Enjoy your new LO!

VBAC - Get the FACTS <--- Click Here
April 4th, 2011, 08:49 AM
SunLover's Avatar Sheryl
Wow, great story!! Glad it went so smoothly! Just goes to show that a calm mind and good attitude can make things a lot better! (note to all you anxious ladies!)

Amy, Eric, & Lauren
April 4th, 2011, 08:53 AM
lex1078's Avatar Waiting patiently....
So happy you had a great birth experience. Glad everyone is doing well.

April 4th, 2011, 08:57 AM
Platinum Supermommy
yay!! I'm so happy you had such a good experience! And I love that your OB sang happy birthday to him!! Congratulations!

Mom to 3 beautiful kids
Expecting our newest baby girl, diagnosed with Down Syndrome with Verifi, October 2014!

Tags
may 11 bumblebee births

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search