Gavin James birth story

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2011 Birth Stories LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 4th, 2011, 03:28 PM
Veteran
Gavin James Conner was born on March 28, 2011 at 9:02am. He weighed 7lbs 1oz and was 20.5 inches long.

I went to the doctor on Friday March 25, and was disappointed to find that I was still only 1cm and long. Dr. Sanborn tried to stir things up for me and then requested a NST to check the baby. I was very surprised to learn that I was having small contractions (I did not feel anything) and Dr. Sanborn was very happy with the results of the NST so he sent me home wishing me luck on my VBAC.

All weekend I had bloody show, but just kept thinking I was still going to have a c-section on April, 1. I had convinced myself that this baby/body was not going to cooperate either. Little to my knowledge the baby and my body had different ideas.

I woke up at 3am Sunday morning and could not get comfy. I was not feeling any contractions yet, but I could not sleep. I stayed up until about 7am and then went shopping with my mom until 9am. We were going to her house for Chicken Parmesan dinner at 3pm and she needed to get some things. After I got home I was able to sleep on the couch until 2. (Guess the shopping wore me out!) At 3pm we headed to my moms and had a wonderful dinner. We visited with everyone and came home around 6:30.

Once again I laid on the couch trying to get some sleep but that did not work, so I rechecked my hospital bag, and Olivia's bag. At 7:30 things started happening. I was still not sure they were contractions, but my back was hurting so I decided to get in the shower. After that I sat in the chair and decided I should probably start timing these cramps, as it could be pre-labor pains or even labor!! They were running any were from 4 to 6 minutes apart and lasting 50 seconds to 70 seconds. By 10:30 Adam made me call the doctors office. I was very hesitant to call because I thought for sure if they sent me to the hospital the hospital would tell me I was still only 1cm dilated and to go home. However after they monitored me for an hour and my contractions were running 5 minutes apart for 1 minute and after checking me I was dilated to 2-3. The nurse notified my doctor. At midnight Dr. McClowski came in re-checked me and informed me I was dilated to 4 and they were going to get me in a room and break my water.

After being in the room for a while at 2:30 I asked for the epidural. By 3:00am it was in and I was on my way to sleep. At 5 Dr. McClowski came back in to check me again and I was dilated to 8cm! But the contractions had slowed down to every 6-8 minutes and she informed me that if I had not progressed by 6 that I would need to start pitocin.

At 6am she came back in and I was dilated to 10cm, 100% and he was at 2+. I could have started pushing but that epidural was so strong that I could not feel anything. At 7am they had shift change, Dr. McClowski came in and said goodbye, and Dr. Dean came in right after. After he was given my stats he ordered the epidural be turned down. This was not done until 8am, and I am not sure why.

At 8:30 Dr. Dean came back in and said to try pushing. I must have been a great pusher because he left and within 10 minutes was called back to the room. Adam counted to ten so fast the first two counts, the nurses had to tell him to slow down. I loved that he counted fast. It is hard to hold your breath for 3 counts of ten with just a short break! lol I kept pushing, he kept counting, and the nurse and doctor kept saying "We can see his head!" Then I looked at Adam and told him it was ok to look. (Things happen when you give birth that are private and your spouse should just not witness. But I was a lucky one!!) That's when the tears filled his eyes. So with all of the excitement I started pushing with all my might. They had me pushing 4 times with each contraction and on the last push at the count of 5 I gave up. That's when it gets a little blurry. I remember someone saying keep pushing, someone saying the head is out and the pain. I didn't stop pushing after his head came out so the doctor could help with the shoulders, I pushed and he went flying! Between Dr. Dean, the resident doctor (who's name I still can't remember, but she was awesome!) and the nurse they were trying not to drop him. Then the nurse said open your eyes and look at your baby. My reply? I can't! lol but then I did and there he was on my stomach all covered in blood and gunk and cute as can be.

The pediatricians came in and took him to check him out and make sure the meconium did not get passed his vocal cords. Then that's when the pain hit. I told Adam to go over by the baby and take pictures but he would not budge. He just stayed by my side holding my hand and never left. I remember thinking "What is his problem?" So I ask the nurse what are his Apgar's and she told me 9/9!! That is wonderful. There is nothing wrong with the baby then why won't Adam go over to him. So I asked him again and he said "The baby is fine" Then I hear Dr. Dean say, "You have had some tearing so we need to stitch you up. This will sting a little but then you won't feel anything." Ok I think 5 stitches no big deal. Women tear all of the time when giving birth, it's not a big deal. Only problem is it was a big deal. I think I might have broke Adam's hands squeezing them so hard. I tore from the inside out on one side and had a huge hematoma on the other side. I must have ended up with at least 50 stitches if not more. It hurt like hell and I cried more then the baby.

But once they were done, and I asked Adam every five seconds if they were done, and they brought that little itty bitty baby over to me it faded away. He was so cute and wow did he look just like Olivia. After staying in the room for an hour they took out the epidural and we were on our way to our room. I can't tell you how absolutely amazing it is to look at your husband and then your baby and know that together you have created the most amazing thing in the world, Life.

We did not have too many visitors but that was ok. I was in pain from the stitches and tired. Mema & Grandpa brought Olivia up so she could meet her little brother. Adam and Olivia went back to the house and grabbed somethings that I did not bring (remember I thought I was going to get sent home) and picked up Subway. (Yeah I ordered from the menu 2 times out of the 7 times I could order and YUCK) After we had lunch they had to go, Mema & Grandpa had a hockey game. Humm that is familiar, they did after Olivia was born too!. A few hours later Jill, Linda, and Laura came up and Debbie and Steve did too. The next day Alan and the girls came up and that was it for visitors.

Adam had to go back to work on Wednesday so my mom and dad took us home from the hospital. We have been home a few days now, and I am loving every minute. I can't lie I do miss my baby bump, but my jeans fit, and the little man that looks back at me when I hold him with all the love in the world made this entire experience worth everything Adam & I went through over the last 2 years worth it.
Kim (3-3) wife to Adam (10-12) Mommy to Olivia (10-17-05) Gavin (3-28-11) #3 Due 11-8-2012

Tags
march 11 birth story

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search