Birth Story of Charlotte Sierra :)

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2011 Birth Stories LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 4th, 2011, 09:27 PM
toasty's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Okay lets see, where to begin, im really sorry if this is long!

I was a day past my due date, and it was 2 am. DH and I had just finished DTD (LOL, maybe TMI but i swear it started the labor so i have to put it in!) and i could not fall asleep so i just decided to lay in bed and read. Well, i started having some pretty regular BH, but noticeably strong BH. They went on for a bit, erratically without a pattern but i noticed a little backache to them so I got up and paced around a bit. The backache got a little stronger which i didnt like at ALL since i've had back labor before and it was beyond horrific, so i started walking and doing some hip-circles dancing through them, trying to get the baby into a better position. Well doing that felt soooooo much better! And eventually after enough hip-circling i actually did feel the pain completely disappear from my back and move around to my lower belly, what an amazing relief that was! Took the pain level down about 10-fold right there and then. From then on every time i sat down, or lied down, the pain would return, so i knew then and there that i was going to be upright and moving for pretty much the whole labor.

Finally around 5:30 am i felt they were strong enough that i should wake DH, i was starting to feel a bit of pressure on my cervix and felt it was probably the real deal even if it was early on. Around 6 am i called the midwife who told me it was probably too early to come in, although i felt i was probably around 5 cm from the pain level, i knew that she thought i wasnt because i was sounding really cheery on the phone, but anyway she told me to hop in the shower and see if they pick up steam. So i did, and they did get a little stronger and after i got out we timed them at 3-5 minutes apart. Around 7:30 am i started feeling like i wanted to go to the birth center just to be on the safe side, so we let the MW know and hopped in the car and started driving. After an unexpected delay due to the main freeway being completely closed (of course that would happen!) we finally got there by side-streets at 8:15 am. The adrenaline of the closed freeway had fizzled out my contractions a bit but the MW checked me and said i was 5 cm, just like i thought! She sent us out for a walk in the park nearby thinking progress could be slow since my contractions were irregular and not very painful.

On the walk i actually got pretty grouchy as they picked up intensity a little bit, plus it was gray and cloudy which always dampens my mood! i kept telling DH 'this is so painful, what have i gotten myself into' but then i remembered Ina May's advice to not complain, so i started telling myself "this is an interesting sensation that requires ALL my attention" and it totally made a difference! I felt a lot more positive and powerful and capable of handling the sensations. I reminded myself to just let it happen, and not fight against my body. I was starting to feel really hungry and weak at this point though so we quickly stopped in at the 7-11. Let me tell you this was the WRONG place to be having intense contractions, the people, the noise, the flourescent lights...ugh, not a good mix! I grabbed a coffee and banana and got out of there. DH made a crack about the coffee speeding things up and i got mad at him thinking he was going to jinx everything, but looking back i think the caffiene really did get things moving! Shortly after we left the 7-11 i suddenly had a contraction that felt really strong and something about it caused a wave of panic in me and HAD to go back to the birth center ASAP, i just wanted to be inside where it was warm and safe.

We headed back and it was about 10 am at that point. I walked up the stairs to the birthing room and i had a couple loooooooong contractions that were pretty intense with maybe only a minute between them. i tried leaning over the birthing ball but that just felt SO wrong there so I decided i should get in the shower. The MW turned it on and I stepped into the shower and OMG the biggest contraction ever suddenly just brought me to my knees. I clung to a shower seat that happened to be in there and suddenly could feel a TON of pressure right in my butt LOL! I started freaking out and panicking yelling "something is happening! something is happening! hellllllllllp!!!!" I looked down and said "im bleeding! and im gonna go to the bathroom in here, AAAAaaaaaah!!!" and the MW came running back and quickly wiped my bum from some "mess" that had escaped LOL and reassured me that the baby was right there and pushing everything out, and not to worry. I profusely apologized because i was so embarassed, but at the same time i honestly didnt really care because it was all so overwhelmingly intense LOL! The MW quickly decided that since we were between contractions we should go across the hall and deliver in the big jacuzzi tub since there was more room. I remember telling her that she should check me first, and that what if i was only a 7 or something? She laughed and insisted the baby was coming out and i honestly still didnt believe her at that point, i thought she was way off and that i wasnt even fully dilated!

The tub was a big jacuzzi just across the hall, so i got out of the shower and they helped me walk over, but by the time i reached the tub there was another HUGE contraction and i collapsed to my knees again and my body started pushing the baby out! I gripped the side of the tub and hung on for dear life. At this point i remember noticing i had gum in my mouth, and i thought to myself, what the hell am i supposed to do with this gum!?! I was totally overwhelmed by the pushing my body was doing, and there was nothing i could do to stop it, my body just took over! I got really loud at this point, and just made really some really loud pushing yelling sounds that made me really glad my mom was at home with the kids (we had thought about bringing them but i think i would have traumatized them!). She was coming super fast and it was very intense, i felt a lot of burning and at one point i was pretty sure i was tearing, but the other part of me didnt care because i KNEW i was so close to the end! It was mindblowing to think i was actually doing it this time completely naturally the way women of history have always done it! By this point i actually also remember thinking 'hey, this isnt that bad for the worst part! omg, im not even dying! Im actually still alive through all this! LOL'

Anyway, a few more panicked pushes and she was out! It was only 10:20 am, just 2 hours after we first arrived at the birth center, and only 20 minutes since we got back from our walk! We joked later that If i'd been any later she could have been born on the sidewalk LOL. Anyway, As she came out i felt a huge gush of warm water, and i later found out that she had been born in the caul, my water had never even broken! The MW had to break the bag after she came out, and apparently DH actually caught her too, and i had no idea that happened either! Then the midwife told me whenever i was ready i could reach down and pick up my baby, i looked down and there was a slimy and rather purple baby on a really bloody towel under me! So i reached down and picked her up and after a few minutes we looked and saw she was a girl! At that point i was still really in shock about the whole ordeal and they cut the cord and went to clean her up. Then i finally got IN the tub which felt amazing, and i cleaned up, got the placenta out, and went and laid in the bed with DH and our new baby girl! Unfortunately i did tear, 2nd degree, and needed a lot of stitches, but overall im still so happy with the birth!

Here is shortly after the birth, see the shock in my face? Deer in headlights! Holy crap, what just happened!?!! LOL!

And the next day at home, having her first hair wash Doesnt she look gigantic? I still cant believe it! LOL

The power and intensity of your contractions cannot be stronger than you, because it is you~ Unknown ~

Last edited by toasty; April 22nd, 2011 at 12:18 PM.
April 5th, 2011, 06:51 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I just absolutely LOVED your birth story! Actually LOLed at a few parts too! What an inspiration you are, gets me excited for my birth! Charlotte is such a cutie, congrats!
April 5th, 2011, 06:52 AM
Tiff802's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Awww, Amanda, she is absolutely beautiful and so are you!!! I LOVED your birth story and I'm so happy you had the wonderful, safe, amazing experience you wanted and prepared for!!! I'm so excited for you and your story made me excited about my upcoming birthing time!!! You rock Mama!

Thank you Claire1979 for my beautiful siggy!!!
Click HERE to see my belly pics!

April 5th, 2011, 07:34 AM
WillfulGirl's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
That's an awesome story, love the "deer in headlights" picture! I think you look amazing in it for just having given birth! Congrats!

April 5th, 2011, 05:35 PM
Angela85's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
What a great story! Isn't Ina May the best? I couldn't have done it without her. And I love what you said about what you were thinking when she came out, I totally did too! It's like "Oh my goodness, there's no turning back, I've done it!"

Congratulations on an awesome birth, and your beautiful girl!

April 6th, 2011, 02:11 PM
BrittneyLA's Avatar Mom of three boys!
so I am stalking from the Oct ddc and I started crying at what an amazing sounding story you have, Its everything I want (minus the tearing) It sounds so natural!!! Congrats mama!
April 6th, 2011, 08:45 PM
MoonMom's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I stalked you over here 'cause I was dying to read your birth story! Congrats mama and I'm so happy for you and your family!

baby Roger @ 7 months

April 8th, 2011, 04:34 AM
wintereast's Avatar Theresa334
Congrats she's cute!

April 21st, 2011, 05:06 PM
FusionGirl's Avatar Formerly TTC#1inNC
Congrats and like the others said - great birth story! I hope my labor goes as smoothly as yours did!
April 30th, 2011, 04:35 AM
jumpinginpuddles's Avatar Super Mommy
I am going natural for the first time (I have 2 other children), and your story totally encourages me! I was laughing at your honesty at times. If you're that great a writer for your birth story, you might have the gift for writing other things! Your little girl is beautiful, congratulations!!!

My Blog
And always remembering our angel babies: 2002, 2006, and 2008
May 1st, 2011, 11:01 AM
toasty's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
LOL, thank you so much, im glad you enjoyed it! There is a publishing company here that does books of natural birth stories and i've been thinking i actually might send it in to them for their next book when i get more organized!

The power and intensity of your contractions cannot be stronger than you, because it is you~ Unknown ~

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search