We pride ourselves on having the friendliest
and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment
for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers.
If you have any problems registering please drop an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!
On Friday, March 25th, DH and I went into our third doctor's appointment of the week. At that point I was 4 days past my March 21st due date. Dr. W was out delivering a baby. I was bitter that he wasn't out delivering MY baby, but whatever. We got to see the nurse practitioner M. I was so happy to see M because I had already seen Dr. W twice that week and he wasn't really helping with any answers.
M basically sat with us for over 30 minutes making us feel like we were her only patients of the day. I was still only 2 cm dilated and Delaney was still "floating" when she tried to strip my membranes (the second time that week). Everything about the ultrasound and non-stress test looked perfect. My blood pressure was just fine. However, M discussed with us that with a larger baby, it was about the time we needed to make a decision by Monday about what we were going to do. DH and I decided that induction on Monday would probably be the best idea. My favorite doc (Dr. B) would be back from vacation and would be on call. We made an appointment for that Monday but the earliest we could get was a 2:30 appointment. I was worried that starting that late, Dr. B would not allow us to induce that day. M assured me that Dr. B would probably be game to anything within reason.
Sunday, I came down with some virus that was kicking my butt. I had a sore throat, runny nose and my joints (especially my hips!) were killing me. I couldn't sit or lay without discomfort. I basically just sat around Sunday hoping to start feeling better.
Monday, we set up that Emma would go to Grandma's for lunch/nap and then stay if Dr. B let us induce. We were able to up the appointment to 1:30 because we were going to have to do a non-stress test before the appointment anyway. It took over an hour to do the non-stress test because Delaney wouldn't stay put long enough to get the heartbeat to register.
Dr. B came in and checked me and stripped my membranes (the 4th time total) and he said I was now 2-3, stretchy and about 80% effaced. He said that I would no longer be a candidate for a foley bulb (basically stripping my membranes with a balloon instead of fingers) because I was further along. This was great news! He also said we could start the induction process today if we would like. With an eager nod of my head, he told us to go over to the hospital.
We got there at 4pm and quickly got set up with an IV and a gown. They checked me at the hospital and said I was 3-4 cm. I was having a lot of bloody show and also had some contractions. I thought that they had already started the pitocin which was why my contractions had started. Not so apparently. They didn't start the pit until 5:15 but I was really having strong contractions before that. I sent DH down to get dinner for himself before the cafeteria closed. Wow the contractions started coming faster now that the pit had started. The pain was so much that I didn't want anyone or anything touching me during the contractions. I was definitely not able to talk through them. The nurse talked to me about an epidural at 6:20. I was still doing okay and she told me we would re-evaluate in a half hour. This became the longest half hour of my LIFE.
At 6:50 I was ready for the epi and I asked for it. Of course, shift change is at 7 so I had to wait for the anesthesiologist get in and set up. He made it there about 7:30ish. The president was on the tv. I laid down on the bed so he could prep me and place the epi. All of a sudden I felt a pop and my water broke. It was one of those epic movie water breaks that whooshes everywhere including the epi guy's shoes and socks. For some reason (I wasn't really being reasonable at that point anyway) I FREAKED out that my water had broken. Why? Not sure. I mean, that was going to have to happen anyway right? Anyway, I was terrified that my contractions would get stronger and they did. I had to endure 2 contractions before the epi was done.
I love John. He was my epi guy. He rocked. I might have married him right there if I could. LOL.
After that, we tried to sleep. I think we slept from 8-9. I got checked again and flipped to the other side. We went back to sleep from 9-10. Checked and flipped again. At some point in the next hour though Delaney started having her heartrate drop. All of a sudden there were like 8 people in my room. They paged the resident. When they checked me then I was only 4 cm. I thought for sure this was going to be the end of my vbac experience. They put in a internal heart monitor because she kept moving around. They didn't let me go back to sleeping in that position (on my stomach actually) but we kept on keeping on.
At 11 I was at 6 cm and at midnight I was 8 cm. The nurse told me she would be back in another hour and then there was a lot more pressure. She came back in at 12:15 and checked again and said she was going to call the doctor. I woke up DH because he is difficult to wake up. Then we waited. And waited. And waited. We were getting pretty excited. At one point while we were waiting for the doc, the nurse had me practice push.
They paged and called the answering service for the doctor 8 times over a 1.5 hour period. They could not get a hold of him. Apparently his service was down. They finally called his cell phone. He came in right away. We saw him in the room by 2 am and he was ready for me to start pushing by 2:20. It seemed that my contractions slowed down, but it's probably was because I was focusing on them now. About 20 minutes in, they rolled in a mirror for me. I never thought I would want to see the birth, but it was pretty cool. I held my legs and the nurse and DH held my feet. We never used the stirrups, there was no need for forceps or a vacuum. At 2:59 am I pushed her out. The last push caused me a 3rd degree tear that took an hour to clean and stitch.
She was put on my chest to clean her off (something I never experienced with my first birth-a planned c-section). DH got to cut the cord. It was amazing. She was not breathing at first and was a little blue. She got an 8 on her first apgar and 9 on the second. She had a lot of mucus so it took a little bit to clear. Apparently she had her cord wrapped around her neck too. The nurse and Dr. B said that they knew that based on what her heartrate was doing. However, everyone was healthy and happy that I got my vbac!!!
DH took pictures of her in the warmer and texted our family and close friends with the announcement. He turned to me and asked if I was sure about the name because he was about to text my mom. LOL.
By that time my epi was wearing off and I had to press the booster. Once Dr. B was done stitching me up, I got to nurse Delaney. She latched immediately and nursed really well twice during the first hour. She was wide awake and alert. She was perfect. <3
Monica, mommy to Emma (3-4-08) and Delaney (3-29-11)
Thank you so much GraysMama, *kiliki*, sugary~snails, AlexAiden Mommy, Typical Vampire, BAM, and claire1979!!!
Last edited by Em and De Mommy; April 14th, 2011 at 04:47 PM.