Log In Sign Up

Baby Liam-37 week induction for high blood pressure-LONG

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2011 Birth Stories LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 14th, 2011, 09:14 PM
Super Mommy
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Alabama
Posts: 903
So, I had no doubt that this pregnancy would go just like the other 3. I am always overdue. I went in for my 37 week appointment expecting some progress but nothing exciting. The nurse, who I know, took my blood pressure, frowned at me and took it again. She told me is was 160/100 both times. I started the pregnancy probably at 115/70 or so. She asked me if I felt okay and I told her actually I was feeling kind of blah in the waiting room, but I couldn't really say what was wrong. I told her I hadn't eaten lunch so she brought me a coke and crackers and told me to relax for 5 minutes. She came back and took it again and it was 148/96. She said, we may be having this baby. But my doc has always been very non-alarmist, so I completely thought he would come in and say I was fine. He comes in checks me, I was 3 cm, which is standard for me even early on. The doctor said he couldn't ignore that high of a blood pressure but I only had trace protein and no real swelling, but I did have a headache, so he said to go home and relax and come in for a blood pressure reading in the morning. Well, I went home relaxed, bp was okay at home, and did some last minute stuff, but I KNEW it would be fine in the morning. Well in the morning it was still 160/100 and now I had +1 protein so he sent me to have the baby. I was shocked. It was very bad timing, my parents were out of town, but we worked all that out, thank God he gave me the extra day to plan.

I arrived at the hospital at 9:30 am, they started pitocin at 10 am or so and doc on call broke my water shortly after. They said the fluid was scant which I thought was odd. Contractions were noticeable and got gradually more painful, but manageable. I told them I was going to try to avoid the epidural. At first I think they didn't think I meant it, but I had a great older nurse and a great student who were quite supportive. I was annoyed because they wanted me to use bedpan because my water had been broken though. The nurse encouraged me to change positions although they had me all tied to the bed with bp cuff, IV and monitors. They checked me again at maybe 1:30 pm and I was still 3 cm which had me worried because it had been maybe 3 1/2 hours of contractions that were now getting painful. They kept upping the pitocin frequently. At 2:50 the on call doc came in and "broke my water" again. Funny, huh, didn't know water had to be broken twice? This time fluid poured out, he said I was 4 cm. I was excited for some change. Things suddenly started getting much more intense. Student nurse checked me and said I was 6 cm. It was now maybe 3:20 pm. She was upping the pitocin every 15 minutes and I was started to hate her-just kidding! She left and I was suddenly having unbearable back labor. I thought, I cannot make it with this much pain. I was thinking it would be another 5 hours because of the pace up till that point, but I should have known the intensity was probably transition. At some point later, I told my DH I can't do this, I want the epidural. Well in come my two nurses telling me don't feel bad, inductions are so much harder, you've done great, but they needed to get half a bag of fluid in me first before an epidural. I asked if there is anything I can have now. They offered me stadol and phenergan-I didn't take the phenergan because they said it would make me sleepy. The stadol did not help the pain at all, only made me feel weird for the minute between the contractions. I have no sense of time at this point, but all the nurses left for awhile and suddenly I told DH to go get someone because I knew things were changing fast. My two nurses, plus the charge nurse and anthestiologist come in and I think it was about 4:25 at this point. Charge nurse checked me and I was nine centimeters. The anthestiologist says I need to get a half a bag of fluid in you for the epidural. I looked at the charge nurse and said, how long till I deliver do you think and she says maybe 30 mintues at the most. I said doesn't it take 30 minutes for the epidural to work? Charge nurse shakes her head yes, anthesiologist shakes her head no. I say I don't want an epidural I just want the baby OUT! So, I say call my doc, other nurse checks me I'm complete. I am saying, "it hurts, oh my god, it hurts" and they are offering me a spinal, I'm like no thanks, where's my doc? I hear him in the hall-I love him he has delivered all my babies-he comes in throws on his cover up stuff says hello sits down, he offers me a peri-block I think he called it, and I'm like no thanks. Evidently all my "vocalization" is making all of them feel bad for me because everyone is offering me what they can for pain which at this point I don't want anymore! They tell me to pull my legs back-I say I can't. They tell me to push, I say I can't (I cannot tell you how much my back hurts), but then I push and his head is out, they tell me to breathe-I do for a split second, but then I push again and he was out. My doc gave me my first ever episiotomy which was 2nd degree because of how quick the delivery was and he saw a bad tear about to happen. I have few other small tears. It turns out the baby had a true knot in the cord which I find out now could have been very dangerous and was probably good he came out when he did and that delivery was quick. They were all looking at he knot acting surprised and saying he was a lucky baby. He was born at 4:38 pm so probably only 10 minutes or so after I was 9 cm and anthesiologist was still pushing the epidural . Liam was healthy and weighed 7 pounds even 20 inches. He had apgars of 9, they did get a good bit of fluid out, but no issues since. He is a sweet and mellow baby! I am so glad that I didn't have to have a catheter during labor-I hate catheters- and recovery has been a breeze other than still fluctuating blood pressures. I'm glad I finally made it without the epidural. I wish I wouldn't have gotten the Stadol-it was useless. The episiotomy hurt for a few days, now I can't even tell I had it at 2 weeks out.

Sorry this was so long! Overall considering that none of it went as I thought it would, it really was a great delivery!

Reply With Quote
April 15th, 2011, 02:44 PM
anna.rose's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 2,064
Sorry it didn't go exactly the way it was planned but sounds like an alright birth!

Thanks to *Kiliki* for my beautiful siggy!
Reply With Quote

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 09:53 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0