Birth Story of Sawyer Levi

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2011 Birth Stories LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 21st, 2011, 08:07 PM
MrsHoot's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
From what I remember...

On April 7th around midnight, I started timing contractions. I was excited because the doctors had set an induction date for 7:00pm that evening and I really wanted to start labor naturally. I had continuous contractions all night and day from about 5-7 minutes apart. However, they never really got closer together or got more painful. I stayed up during a lot of the night (stupid me!) and watched Extreme Couponing. I sat on my exercise ball and just rotated my hips around, which seemed to help.

Eventually, I went back upstairs and slept for a couple of hours, but I was just too excited to sleep for any long period of time. I texted my mom to let her know that I had been having contractions since midnight and we'd plan on picking her up from the airport. My husband went to work for a little bit to pick up a rental car for my mom, but I didn't want him to go in for too long in case the contractions got more serious. We picked my mom up from the airport and went grocery shopping. The walking continued the contractions, but still didn't really make them stronger. We headed back home to labor, and DH and I took a couple of walks to try and help things along.

We headed to Baskin Robbins at about 6, my contractions were still about every 5-7 minutes, and felt the same as they had when they started. I got some rainbow sherbet with gummy bears and DH scoffed at me for looking like a little kid with my ice cream, haha. Then we went to the hospital and checked in for the induction. I had previously been about 1 cm dilated, so I was hoping I would be more dilated than that!

We got in the room and they gave me the beautiful hospital gown, which I turned down since I had brought my pink polka dot maternity gown! They came and checked me and I was 3 cm, so I was glad I had made progress, but the bad news was that he was still floating kind of high. (This should have been a red flag right away for me!) I had been hoping that I wold get there and they could just break my water and I would progress naturally, but no such luck. They put the IV in (which hurt like H-E double hockey sticks) with my rolly veins, and they did an ultrasound and they hooked me up to all of the moniters. The nurse went to call my doc to see about the plan for induction. I had mentioned that I wanted to try the foley bulb or other options before pitocin.

Well since I was "very soft" they said the foley bulb really wouldn't help anything. The nurse basically came in and said pitocin would probably be the only option and I was started on it before I could blink an eye. (DH was not happy about that) So I labored on the pitocin and they turned it up every half hour until about 5 in the morning. DH and I played some skipbo, watched some tv, and tried (unsuccessfully) to sleep. When I got to about level 10 on the pitocin, my contractions were closer together than they liked, so they backed off on the pitocin. I thought this was a good sign and that maybe my body was kicking into it's own gear. I was fine with the contractions and didn't really need to breathe through them at the time. I was really trying not o get the epidural. They ended up turning the pitocin back up to try and increase the contractions again, so my body was apparently not doing it's job.

So at about 5 they came back in to check me to see if they could break my water yet. I was stretchy enough and they thought they could probably break it. Well it ended up breaking right after the exam when I started to feel like I was peeing myself, lol. It was a super weird feeling. They came in to check and sure enough, it had broken. However, I had more than one bag of water, so they used the hook to break the next one. Then it was a niagra falls rush of warm liquid. LOL, it was a really gross feeling I remember.

At that time, I was on level 20 of the pit and all H*ll broke lose. My contractions were a minute long, a minute apart, and excruciating. I was literally sobbing through them and there was no comfort because I knew the next one would be coming within another minute. My mom was telling me to breathe and look at my husband, and DH was telling me to breathe and trying to help me, but it was like I was losing touch with reality. It is the most pain I have ever been in in my life! I just kept sobbing and crying and moaning about how much it hurt. The nurse was telling me to breathe deeply, and my mom was telling me to take shallow breaths and DH was just trying to stay with me. I yelled at them for telling me conflicting things! SO.... I decided on an epidural because there was absolutely no way that I could deal with that much pain for hours on end.

****On hold, hungry baby! Will edit when I get a chance. Nevermind, he tricked me.

The anesthesiologist came in pretty soon after and got me all set up for the epidural. DH stayed in the room and my mom had to leave. I was still having horribly painful contractions and was really scared that I would have one right when they put one in. It actually wasn't bad at all, the IV hurt more than getting the epidural put in. I had a contraction, they got it in. DH had to get up and go to the bathroom because he got really light headed. (He says it was just because he hadn't eaten in awhile....) 10 minutes later, I was good! I could barely feel the contractions, it was heaven.

To try and make a long story short.... I labored for about 7-8 more hours and never progressed from 5 cm. They turned the pit down, turned it up, the contractions just never made the progress they were supposed to. So I had been in labor since midnight on the 7th and it was now noon on the 8th, I had been in early labor/labor for 36 hours. The nurse called the doctor to talk about options and I knew this meant a c section was on the horizon. This is exactly what we didn't want. A. we didn't want to be induced, B. we REALLY didn't want pitocin and C. we wanted to avoid a c section at all costs. We hit everything we didn't want.

But at this point, I was done. I was running on 4 hours of sleep in two days, and the epidural was not covering my back labor, so I was still really uncomfortable. THe doc came and talked with us and said we could still try to labor for longer, because his vitals were still excellent, or we could do the C. Her guess was that either way it was going to end in a c section, which was my guess as well.

****K, now he's for real hungry, will finish later

DH was super disappointed and I could tell that he wanted to try and give it more time, but I just didn't think I had it in me to keep trying and was pretty convinced that it would be a c section no matter what. He was sunny side up and still not 100% engaged. Well they got the ball rolling, DH left to go grab some lunch quickly, as he thought it best not to go in the operating room with an empty stomach. My heart really ached for him at the time because he wasn't handling it very well and I was pretty well defeated and accepted the decision. DH's main concern was just losing the bonding aspect with him since they take them away right away and we wouldn't be able to do kangaroo care and breastfeed right away.

Well they gave me that nasty anti-nausea stuff to drink and I changed into the sterile hospital gown. I got to wear the dumb hat and when DH came back he changed into his bunny suit, as they called it. They wheeled me back to the room and I felt like I was being crucified on the cross with my arms out, naked and in a bright room bustling with activity. The anesthesiologist talked with me and gave me lots of anesthesia- since I had been having really bad back pain even with the epidural, I was worried that I would still have bad back pain through the surgery. But he covered me really well! DH came in and sat by my head eventually and I thought they were still pricking my belly to see if the anesthesia was working when all of a sudden my belly felt a lot lighter!

They pulled him out and showed him to us, all I could see were his hands and feet and a glimpse of a very unhappy face. He cried a lot and so did I. I was so happy to finally see my baby boy and to have him here with us. It felt like FOREVER before they brought him over to us (I think it was atleast 20 minutes, maybe more) and DH got to hold him. He nuzzled my face and it was an awesome moment. They had to put me back together for awhile and then we had to go to recovery for an hour. I was numb from my boobs down to my toes, absolutely no feeling at all. Once we got to the recovery area, they stuck him on my boob to see if he would nurse. And he gave me two purple hickies on my nipple right away. (It's really hard to BF when your boobs are numb!)

Anyway... that's the story of Sawyer Levi being born, he was 8 lbs 1 oz and 21.5 inches long. He came into the world on April 8th, screaming and peeing all over the nurses. It was completely amazing to meet him after 9 months of carrying him close and he is worth everything we went through!

Last edited by MrsHoot; April 21st, 2011 at 08:43 PM.
April 21st, 2011, 08:44 PM
MrsHoot's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
PS Kudos if you made it through the entire thing!! Sorry it's so long.

April 22nd, 2011, 08:35 AM
WillfulGirl's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Even though it wasn't exactly what you wanted, I'm so happy you have your Sawyer now!! Congratulations!

April 22nd, 2011, 12:13 PM
toasty's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
awwww, sounds like you really went through the wringer with that one! I had a similar experience with my first, the back pain of sunny side up and pitocin mixed together is absolutely unbearable, and i never got comfortable either, even after my epidural. I hope you have a speedy recovery at least! Im glad Sawyer is doing well though, and i love the name

The power and intensity of your contractions cannot be stronger than you, because it is you~ Unknown ~

April 24th, 2011, 10:29 AM
bre4thewin's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to bre4thewin
Healthy baby! sorry about the c. sucks. if our bodies arent ready...they just arent. sigh! you are awesome!

Thank you Mom2*Lauryn*Jacob* for my gorgeous siggie!

April 25th, 2011, 07:18 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to Pebblesbuddy
Aww love this story. Congrats on your little man
April 29th, 2011, 06:23 PM
MrsB's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I really didn't want to get the epidural either but after 16hrs of terrible back labor and only being at a 4 I finally broke down and got it. I feel it's what saved me from ending up with a c-section though so I'm glad I broke down and got it.

After 2 losses, 2 rounds of fertility testing, 2 laproscopies and a D&C,
7 cycles of Clomid, an HSG and a cycle of Injections we finally received our BFP on August 19th!

Our Miracle John Michael was born April 25th 2011 @ 4:36pm!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search