Reagan's Natural Childbirth

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2011 Birth Stories LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 24th, 2011, 12:10 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Reagan Morningstar’s Natural Childbirth

On Thursday, April 21st, 3 days past my estimated due date, I had been having irregular contractions all day. Around 2pm, I noticed that they were starting to get more regular, they had some discomfort associated with them and they were around 8-10 minutes apart. I cleaned up the house, did a couple loads of laundry and helped make dinner. Over the next couple hours, they started to get a little closer and started to pick up in intensity. So around 4:30pm, we called my sister for her to pick up Micah. As soon as she arrived, we left for the hospital. I had no problem controlling the contractions and breathing through them on the 40 minute drive to the hospital. We were checked into triage at the birthing center at 6pm. I was checked and I was still at 4cm and very stretchy, the same as I had been for the past week. So, we walked around the unit and continued to be monitored for another 2 hours. When I was checked again around 8pm, I was 4-5 cm, but not making much progress. My nurse contacted my midwife and they decided to have me take a warm bath and try to walk more to see if that would either help me dilate, or if labor would stall out. I got in the bath, and HATED it! I just felt like I didn’t have the room to move around and had a hard time breathing through the contractions because the bath was making me nauseated. So we got out and walked a little more. I asked her to check me again to see if anything was happening. I was MORE than relieved to find out I was 5-6cm and they would finally admit me! So, we called our doula, Julie and she arrived around 10:30pm. We decided that since I hated sitting on the edge of the bed or on the toilet, that I would also hate the birthing ball, so we started walking again. We walked for maybe 30 minutes and I just found that I couldn’t concentrate and I felt more comfortable lying in bed and breathing, so we did that. They got the TENS machine all set up to try that and I couldn’t roll on my side without wanting to die, so that was out too. I was really surprised since I thought I would really like moving around and trying different things and I ended up laying flat on my back in bed. My nurse checked me about 11:30 and I was 7-8cm. She called my midwife and she was on her way to the hospital. All of a sudden I felt the uncontrollable urge to push! I tried breathing and holding back, but it seemed like my body had completely taken over and I couldn’t help it. It was quite blurry after that, I remember swearing a lot and screaming that I felt like she was coming out of my butt! LOL! My two nurses were scurrying around getting everything ready, and I kept yelling, “Susan (my midwife) better hurry!” I heard my doula say, “She wanted to feel the head”, I put my hand down there and was so surprised that she was coming out! I didn’t feel the “ring of fire” or anything; I felt her head, shoulders and then the rest of her slide out. I had went from 7-8 cm to complete within 15minutes and only pushed for 4 minutes. Reagan Morningstar was born into this world at 11:54pm, April 21st, 2011. She weighed 7lbs 1oz, and was 18in long. She started nursing immediately and has been in love with the booby ever since! I am so proud that I achieved my goal of a completely unmedicated, intervention-free childbirth. It was the most exciting, amazing, intense and traumatizing experience of my life! I escaped it all with only a minor skid mark requiring 2 stitches. This was the first birth in 30yrs that my midwife hadn’t made it in time for, she arrived 20 minutes after Reagan was born to deliver the placenta. We just laughed and asked if we got a discount since she missed the birth. If anything, it makes for a good story.

Last edited by Melissa1983; April 24th, 2011 at 12:13 PM.
April 24th, 2011, 12:27 PM
bre4thewin's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to bre4thewin
WOOOOOO!!!! Im so happy for you mama. I cant wait to say the same things! You trusted your body and were patient and it did the rest! you are a rock star!!

Thank you Mom2*Lauryn*Jacob* for my gorgeous siggie!

April 24th, 2011, 01:32 PM
pink_piggy's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
What a great inspiring natural birth!! So happy you got what you wanted and everyone is doing well
April 24th, 2011, 01:41 PM
toasty's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
What a fabulous story, i hated the bath too when i used it with my first! Funny how its so unpredictable what will work, but im so glad you got to do what felt right at the time, and im so glad you got your natural birth!

The power and intensity of your contractions cannot be stronger than you, because it is you~ Unknown ~

April 24th, 2011, 07:55 PM
MoonMom's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
congrats Melissa! Aren't you glad you missed 4/20?

baby Roger @ 7 months

April 25th, 2011, 07:48 AM
Veteran
Congratulations! So glad you got your NCB! Isn't it a great feeling?!
April 25th, 2011, 01:26 PM
FusionGirl's Avatar Formerly TTC#1inNC
Congrats! Very inspring story...hoping I can follow in your footsteps!
April 25th, 2011, 08:09 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to Pebblesbuddy
Wow! Amazing. So proud of you and I LOVE the name
April 29th, 2011, 05:23 AM
jumpinginpuddles's Avatar Super Mommy
Awesome! I hope, come September, that I can report a similar story!

My Blog
And always remembering our angel babies: 2002, 2006, and 2008
April 29th, 2011, 07:19 PM
MrsB's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I didn't feel the ring of fire either and it was one thing I was worried about.

After 2 losses, 2 rounds of fertility testing, 2 laproscopies and a D&C,
7 cycles of Clomid, an HSG and a cycle of Injections we finally received our BFP on August 19th!

Our Miracle John Michael was born April 25th 2011 @ 4:36pm!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search