Peter's Big Day (with pictures)

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2011 Birth Stories LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 24th, 2011, 03:03 PM
Platinum Supermommy
On March 24th (36w1d) at 6 AM I woke up to contractions. They weren't horrible but they were every 2 minutes apart. So I got up, shaved my legs and showered so I would be fresh and clean for the big arrival. When my husband got home at 1PM and we drove up to the hospital (40 minutes away) They checked my cervix when I got there (3 and 80) and again in 2 hours (3 and 90) Since I wasn't progressing that much they sent me home. I was upset to say the least, but I understood.

I didn't get ANY sleep the rest of the day or night because of the contractions. They progressively got more painful. 3AM the next we went back to the hospital. I was 4 and 90, so they sent us walking around for an hour and checked me again. When I got back I was 5 and 90! They said they were going to admit me. Before they had a chance there was a shift change, and they midwife that hated me in the practice (She has never had any babies herself, and didn't like that I actually had questions and didn't just accept everything she said) She sent me home. She said if I was really in labour I could come back, because 40 minutes wasn't that bad of a commute.

I was super pissed off that she sent me home when I was 5 and 90 and contracting every 2-3 minutes! So I went to the hospital I was originally planning on delivering at (which is only 5 minutes away)

They checked me and said I was 4 and 90 (apparently these measurements are rather subjective....) and again in an hour (5+ and 100). So they admitted me! They offered me an epidural because the anesthesiologist was about to do 2 c-sections in a row, so I would have to wait a while if I didn't get it then. I wasn't in unbearable pain, and I had wanted to try to go naturally. But I was so scared of being sent home again that I got the epidural. I knew that once it was in, I wasn't being sent home without Peter....

I HATED the epidural, in was uncomfortable being put in and I hated not being able to move my own legs. But at least I was having a baby! They hung a penicillin bag (I was GBS +) and I waited. I even got some sleep finally (one benefit of the epi) After the 4 hours of penicillin they came in a said that my contractions had slowed because of the epi, so they broke my water. They came back an hour later and checked me and said I was fully dilated and effaced!

They got all set up to start pushing. While they were, they informed me that there was merconium in the fluid when the broke my bag, so the NICU nurses were going to come in and suck the fluid out of his lungs immediately after birth.

After 2 1/2 hours of pushing, he was born! At 10:58PM weighing 7lbs 7oz and 20 1/2 inches long. The first thing I said was "Holy crap! He's alive!" because I was still not sure he would make it (I was a bit pessimistic after 10 losses) They placed him on my chest briefly so that Doug could cut the cord and then they whisked him away. I had an internal tear so the student midwife (and the attending midwife) stitched me up.

It seemed like FOREVER as they were taking care of Peter (it was really only 20 minutes) but they finally said he was healthy and didn't need to go to the NICU. They gave him to me and I started feeding him right away. It was wonderful! Since my epi had worn off long before he was born ( I had them turn it off because I hated it so much, and it was really only working on one side) I was allowed to walk to my wheelchair, instead of being rolled upstairs in the bed.

I am so happy he is here! Even though it didn't go exactly how I had hoped, it was still a wonderful day! I am such a lucky woman to have such a great little man! I am so in love!

Here are some pictures my SIL took for me! She was such a help during the birth, and she got the pictures I really wanted!

This is the picture is the one I really wanted, and I think it is perfect!

My SIL got in trouble for this one. They told her not to photograph any procedures....

First family photo!

Last edited by stargatemommy; April 16th, 2012 at 08:29 PM.
April 25th, 2011, 07:12 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to Pebblesbuddy
Amazing story! And might I add he is a CUTIE!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search