The Birth of John Michael

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2011 Birth Stories LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 29th, 2011, 12:09 PM
MrsB's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
We had just gotten home from Easter at my grandmas house. I had changed into my PJís and laid on the couch to watch Home Makeover. My sister had just gotten here and came into the living room to ask me a question. I partially sat up and got a really sharp pain, after the pain passed I went to sit up the rest of the way and felt a huge gush. This was at 8:15pm.

I wasnít really sure what to do as I wasnít having any contractions so I called my OBís office and left a message. My husband and I finished getting things around that I couldnít pack before hand and decided to just head to the hospital. I called my mom to meet us there. On the way to the hospital I had 1 contraction but still continued to have gushes of water, and it felt so gross so I was more worried about that, lol.

Once we arrived at the hospital they put me in a triage room and checked me. I was only dilated to a 1 and still not really having contractions. But since my water broke they said I had to deliver within 18hrs or I would need a dose of antibiotics. So we began walking the halls. Every hour they hooked me up to a monitor for 15 mins to check babyís heart rate and my contractions. They were going to let me walk or whatever I wanted until 3am when they would check me again. If I hadnít progressed they were going to give me something. If I was progressing I would just continue on my own.

At 3 am they checked me and I 3cm dilated. So they let me continue on my own. Since I had been awake since 8am the day before I decided I should try and sleep some because I knew it was going to be a long day. But then my contractions starting coming more often and stronger so I didnít get any sleep. I was having terrible back labor.

At 6am they checked me and I had only progressed to a 4 and 80% effaced, but it was progress on my own so they just let me keep going. At 9am my contractions were about 1-2 mins apart and really strong, but I was still only at a 4 and still 80%. My doctor was concerned since my water had now been broken for 12 hrs so he wanted to start pitocin. Since the contractions were getting worse I asked for a shot of pain meds with the pitocin since I knew that was going to make them worse. Around 11am my contractions were coming in waves of 3-4 at a time. Also his HR was dropping with each contraction so they were getting a little concerned. They put in a fetal heart monitor and cervix monitor so they could monitor him and my contractions more closely. They decided it was his cord so they added fluid back into me to float his cord. They also had me change positions with every contraction. They even tried me getting on my hands and knees but that made his HR go lower. By this point my contractions were non stop so I asked for another shot of pain meds. My doctor was also talking about the possibility of a c-section if we couldnít get his heart rate under control as I was still only 4cm dilated. So the nurse brought in the pain shot but asked me if I wanted that or an epidural. With the pain meds I ran the risk of it making baby sleepy and his HR going lower which of course makes me have a c-section. So I gave in and decided on the epidural, as if I needed a c-section I had to get it any ways. And I knew I couldnít go farther with out the pain meds but didnít want to cause him any distress.

So the nurse called for an epidural and started getting things around for it. Then I had all sorts of people in my room because his HR kept dropping lower because my contractions were non stop. I was in tears because they were so fast and so hard and I was mad because they werenít doing anything to make me dilate. Finally they allowed anesthesia in to start my epidural, this was around 1pm. It took him 3 tries to get it and I pretty much had contractions the whole time. Also on the 3rd try it wasnít quite numb yet so I could feel it grinding in my spine so that was making it worse.

About 30 mins after they started the epidural they checked me again and I was now a 5. Also his HR had steadied now that I had relaxed. Now that things had calmed down I tried to rest some. I still had a lot of pressure but at least the back pain was gone.

Once I got the epidural I progressed pretty fast. At 2:30 I was 6-7, 3:30 I was an 8 and at 3:50 I was a 10 so she wanted me to try a couple pushes. I was so tired I just kept saying I couldnít do it, but he was right there and ready to come so she called the doctor in. After he got there I pushed for 5-6 contractions and he was out. I did have a small tear that he had to look for to find so not many sutures and I got a hemorrhoid, but the hemorrhoid was almost gone before I left the hospital thank goodness, lol.

After 20hrs of labor and only 30 mins of pushing John Michael was born at 4:36pm on April 25th.

After 2 losses, 2 rounds of fertility testing, 2 laproscopies and a D&C,
7 cycles of Clomid, an HSG and a cycle of Injections we finally received our BFP on August 19th!

Our Miracle John Michael was born April 25th 2011 @ 4:36pm!

Last edited by MrsB; April 29th, 2011 at 12:22 PM.
April 29th, 2011, 04:49 PM
toasty's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
awww, congratulations! Im glad your boy got here safe and sound! Your story reminds me of my first birth, back labor can be so crazy, i think it makes the body really tense somehow, the epidural really helped me relax and progress quickly too!

The power and intensity of your contractions cannot be stronger than you, because it is you~ Unknown ~

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search