Hypnobabies Home Birth of Nola Elizabeth

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2011 Birth Stories LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 2nd, 2011, 07:59 PM
Tiff802's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
On Monday (4/18) I woke up in the morning leaking amniotic fluid. I began having pressure waves (contractions) about every 10 minutes. I met a friend at the mall and we walked for about 3 hours. I called my family to give them a heads up since they were planning to be here for the birth. After the boys went to bed that night I took a shower and my pressure waves were stronger and closer together (around 5 minutes apart). I just knew that I would be giving birth that night so my family came over. As soon as I went to bed the pressure waves stopped. My family spent the night for several nights. Ms. Nola wasn't in the ideal position (ROT) so I spent most of my time doing all the exercises on spinningbabies.com to help position the baby and I went to the chiropractor and had the Webster Technique done. I went to my midwife appt. on Wednesday (4/20) and was instructed to forget about how the baby was positioned because it's causing unnecessary stress that could be causing my body not to go into labor. She said I had the Webster Technique done so have faith that it worked and to not worry about it anymore. So, that's what I did.

Friday my pressure waves started getting a bit stronger but I didn't want to get my hopes up, then I started having bloody show, which got me really excited because that's how my birthing time started with Callum. I decided to go to the grocery store and while I was there I had some really strong waves that I also felt pressure with and it radiated around my lower abdomen around to my lower back. This time I was sure that I would be having the baby soon. I got home and went for a walk, took a shower and called my midwife to tell her that I had been contracting about every 8 minutes or so and they were getting stronger. I went to bed to get some rest. I woke up around 11:30 with a really strong pressure wave. I was listening to my Hypnobabies Scripts while sleeping and every time I had a pressure wave that woke me up I would record it on my contraction timer app. I was sort of confused because they were really spaced out (around 20 minutes apart) but the intensity was like a jolt of lightening. They were hard to manage being woken up every time so at about 12:45am I decided to get up and move around. They were then pretty consistent at 5 minutes apart and much more manageable so I called my midwife at 1:21am and she said she would leave in about an hour (which she was 2 hours away). I said that sounded good because they were manageable so I figured I had awhile. I got in the bath for awhile, got out and woke my mom, step mom and MIL. During each pressure wave I leaned on the kitchen counter and rocked back and forth. They were about 2 minutes apart at 3am and I started having rectal pressure. It completely caught me off guard because my pressure waves were not very intense. The Hypnobabies was even more awesome this time around, btw, I truly breathed anestesia to where I needed it and I used my light switch successfully every time. My dh called the midwife and she said she was still an hour away but instructed me to get in the bath tub to slow things down. Which I did and it did slow things down. Around 3:30 the rectal pressure was back and I didn't want to not push anymore. I started breathing my baby down just allowing my body to push. Around 4:05am my water broke while I was pushing and the midwife arrived about 5 minutes after that. During my preparation with Hypnobabies during pregnancy I really prepared myself and imagined myself breathing my baby down and out and only allowing my body to push without me adding to it. After about an hour and a half of doing this I started getting really tired and just knew that I was going to have to work to get this baby out because at that time I was fully dilated but baby was still at -2 position. The midwife moved me from the tub to the toilet which was horrible, I got more accomplished during each push but I was so tired that I needed something to lean against. I moved to the bed but stayed there for about 2 seconds. I rolled off the bed and onto the floor where I pushed on my hands and knees during each pressure wave and rested on some pillows in between. The midwife got out her birthing stool and that is where all the progress was made. I loved that stool! I was able to rest my upper body on the bed and the stool really opened things up. My pushing changed at that moment and I went from doubting myself to a determined, strong woman. At that moment pushing began to feel natural and right, before that it was very uncomfortable. I feared each upcoming pressure wave and really fought my body on pushing, my body was trying to and I was holding it back. On the stool, I just went with it, I surrendered and my baby finally came down and I announced to my midwife that she was coming. I reached down and felt my baby's head. The midwife told me that if I still wanted a water birth now is the time to move to the tub. I felt there was no way that I was going to stop now and there was no way I could make it to the tub so I told her no, I wanted to have her right there. She had me get off the birthing stool because it was hard for her to do what she needed to do when the baby comes. I just went to my knees and kept letting my body push my baby out. My midwife was an angel, she used oil to help me stretch and if I felt burning she would apply a hot compress to wherever I felt the pressure. I delivered her head and the cord was wrapped tightly around her neck. I delivered the rest of her as I heard my midwife tell me to "get ready to catch your baby", I reached down, grabbed her and embraced her in my arms. I then realized that she wasn't breathing and was completely limp. I put her down in front of me and Beth (my midwife) started rubbing her and we were both talking to her. Beth said she was about to grab her equipment when she started trying to take shallow breaths and finally she let out a scream. Beth said that the cord around her neck was so tight that it probably caused her to pass out. I was calm at first because I was feeding off of Beth's reaction but then I sort of started to freak out a bit. It wasn't very long at all that she was passed out, but at that time it felt like eternity. She cried and I grabbed her up and put her to my chest. I was sooooo sore I couldn't sit. I sat sort of sideways, on one hip while we waited for the cord to stop pulsing and for the placenta to detach. Kieron was there through it all and he wanted to see EVERYTHING. He was so fascinated with it all and he was so proud once she came out. He was a wonderful helper throughout the pushing phase of my birthing time too. We waited until I was pushing to wake him up. Anyhow, Kieron and Daddy cut the cord. I handed Nola to Ian so I could get up. They ran fresh bath water and Nola and I got to sit in the bath while I nursed her for the first time. She latched on after several attempts. Beth cleaned up while we were in the bath and examined the placenta, she had taken a bowel movement in the womb and my placenta was pretty stained with meconium so she said it was probably in there awhile, it also had spots which she said means my placenta had started aging, my mom cleaned our carpet where I gave birth because Ms. Nola pooped when she came out and it was EVERYWHERE! All over Beth, all over my legs and feet and all over the pads underneath me and it had gotten on the carpet as well, our white carpet, lol. After our bath, we all got in bed. The baby was examined, she was 9 lbs, 4 oz and 21 1/2 inches and her head circumference was 14 1/2. Almost the same size as Callum! He was 9 lbs, 3 oz and 21 in. Then I was examined and needed 6 stitches. Despite the postpartum soreness, it was another amazing birth experience. I am absolutely in love with my new little girl and so is the rest of the family!

I have to add too that my family was such a great support system. Ian did a fantastic job with keeping me peaceful, my mom kept the ice rags coming because I was super hot, my MIL took tons of pictures and my step mom took lots of video. All the while they were all so supportive, quiet when they needed to be and offered words of encouragement when I needed it. I absolutely LOVED having a home birth, it was relaxing, peaceful and allowed me do what I needed to do to get my baby here. My midwife gave really helpful suggestions here and there and was just completely AWESOME!!!

Fully dilated, during a pressure wave

I had a bruise on my forehead from pushing in this position, lol.

Thank you for my beautiful siggy Vicki!

See my growing belly!

May 2nd, 2011, 11:42 PM
toasty's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Yay congrats again! That hypnobabies must be something, you look so calm and serene in your pictures! Beautiful story! I loved reading it, and im so glad little Nola was quickly revived after the cord scare. The photo of her in the water with the flowers is stunning, was that shortly after the birth?

The power and intensity of your contractions cannot be stronger than you, because it is you~ Unknown ~

May 2nd, 2011, 11:47 PM
pink_piggy's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Congrats Tiff!! I'm so glad you had such an amazing home birth I can relate to a lot of your story, our girls were even about the same weight and size!! Miss Nola is absolutely adorable.
May 3rd, 2011, 05:47 AM
Tiff802's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Thanks ladies! Yes Amanda, that pic is right after birth.

Thank you for my beautiful siggy Vicki!

See my growing belly!

May 3rd, 2011, 02:18 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Amazing story! And your pictures were so beautiful!
May 3rd, 2011, 05:37 PM
bre4thewin's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to bre4thewin
sooooooo wonderful!!!

Thank you Mom2*Lauryn*Jacob* for my gorgeous siggie!

May 4th, 2011, 08:56 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to Pebblesbuddy
Amazing story!
May 4th, 2011, 11:44 PM
sunshinestate_mom's Avatar Veteran
Wow. I was in awe readng this whole thing. Congrats on your home birth! It sounded like an amazing expierence! So glad Nola was ok. I am still really emotional, as being a mom for only a wk lol, and almost started crying when I read that the cord was around her neck. But anyway, I'm so glad it all worked out she's beautiful!!
8lbs 4oz - 21 1/4 inches - 2:46pm

May 5th, 2011, 11:09 AM
PennyLynn's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Wow, amazing story and birth! That's crazy how she just came so fast

I do have one question....you said that you were leaking amniotic fluid days before the birth but that your water didn't break until later? how is this possible - did you maybe have more than one bag of water? just curious because I know the law in my state is if your water breaks you have to be in active labor within 24 hours and that's something I worry about a lot.....

May 5th, 2011, 04:35 PM
bre4thewin's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to bre4thewin
you can have leaks with out your bag breaking, and the amniotic sac can repair itself.

Thank you Mom2*Lauryn*Jacob* for my gorgeous siggie!

May 6th, 2011, 08:11 PM
PennyLynn's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by bre4thewin View Post
you can have leaks with out your bag breaking, and the amniotic sac can repair itself.
Ohhh well that makes sense lol. I have never heard of that before, interesting!

May 7th, 2011, 07:46 PM
WillfulGirl's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
What an amazing experience, congrats!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search