Amelia's birth story

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2011 Birth Stories LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 7th, 2011, 01:33 PM
Super Mommy
Sorry it turned out so long! lol

For various reasons, my dr and I decided to have me induced. I went into the hospital in the evening on the 20th at 40w3d pregnant. They inserted the first med dose at 11pm….It was something like Cervadil but not cervadil. Well, doesn’t matter, because I started contracting within an hour. I was supposed to get the next dose at 3am, but since I was contracting and they were getting stronger on their own, the dose was skipped. By 6am I was pretty uncomfortable with pain and the dr came in and broke my water. That felt weird lol A LOT of water came out. They started a low dose of pitocin a little later and pain got much MUCH worse fast. I asked for epidural probably an hour later (which I was planning on getting eventually) after I overheard the nurse saying there’s 3 people ahead of me already. By the time the anesthesiologist got there (somewhere between 9-10), I was in a lot of pain, moaning and tossing and turning in the bed and my poor hubby was feeling helpless and worried. I was barely able to sit still for the epi. Epidural itself didn’t hurt at all. When I sat up for it though, a lot more water came out of me……I didn’t think that was possible but by the time I was done with getting epi, I was sitting in a huge puddle and the water was still coming!

Now, this is kinda where things started not going right. Shortly before the epidural guy got there, baby’s heart rate dropped a couple of times. But I’d just change position and heart rate would go up immediately. They stopped pitocin to see if it was causing the heart rate drop at that time since I was laboring well.

After the epi, which made me feel much better at first, it didn’t take me long to realize that it only really took on my left side. My right side was only slightly numb…I could still feel everything, was able to move both of my legs and the pain was getting only worse. Pain got bad enough that I lost track of time at this point. I remember feeling that something isn’t right and asked the doctor if baby is in the right position….She told me “Yes, we can even see the outline of her head through the skin low in your pelvis’….I didn’t believe her, for some reason, turned to my husband and through the pain of contraction asked him ‘Is she lying?’ RIGHT in front of the doctor LOL
I don’t know how much time went by, but I was in so much pain and contractions seem to be coming every min. Another anesthesiologist came in and did something to the epidural drip to see if we could solve the issue of it not working much……I didn’t really help anyway. I was told to try laying on my right side to see if some of the meds will go to my right side since it wasn’t numb but due to baby’s heart rate constantly going down, they kept having me turn this way and that way.
I could hear the baby’s heart monitor and I was starting to freak out. I had 4 nurses in my room, one of them literally glued to the computer screen just watching the monitor. Since epidural didn’t really work, I could turn on the bed by myself but it would only help with baby’s heart rate for a few seconds and then it would drop down.

My eyes were tearing up from pain at this point. I remember them paging the doctor and one of the nurses started shaving me ‘just in case’ and my main nurse started getting dressed in OR outfit. I remember the doctor coming in and checking me and saying I can’t push yet and looking at the monitor and my nurse telling her that I’ve been off pitocin for 4 hrs now and my contractions are intense and baby’s heart rate has been down for too long and they cant get it up. Once I heard that, I started saying ‘I’m ok with csecion’ over and over lol

THIS IS WHERE IT GETS REALLY BAD

Within 3 mins, I was in OR for my csection……and on the way we picked up another doctor (who I overheard saying he was just bored since it was a slow day for him, and he wanted to join in) and an intern to watch the procedure lol
It was SOO cold in OR. The anesthesiologist asked for warm blankets to cover up my chest and arms since I was shivering. I heard someone say that there’s no time for spinal. I could feel them cleaning/disinfecting my stomach…….and I remember thinking ‘am I supposed to be able to feel that?” The anesthesiologist was standing on my left pumping meds into me, and I turn to her and said ‘I can feel that’ (I felt a pinch followed by strong stinging sensation and realized they began cutting me). And she said ‘you’ll be able to feel a lot of pressure’. And right as she said that, I think they cut in really deep and separated the muscle or something because next thing I know I’m screaming “omg it hurts it hurts’. One of the doctored yelled for someone to hold my leg (or legs?) down….Anesthesiologist was frantically doing something, but whatever it was it wasn’t working. I was gripping the blanket they covered me with in my hand sooo hard and just screaming. I glanced at my poor husband, and he was just pale and covered in sweat and looked totally freaked out, so seeing him freaked out I quickly looked away before I started freaking out even more.
Basically, there was a lot of screaming on my part, at one point I was yelling ‘I’m sorry I’m screaming but it hurts it hurts’ lol And someone yelled back ‘scream all you want, girl” And anesthesiologist was talking to me the whole time and was saying as soon as the baby is out shes going to give me lots and lots of morphine and to hang on.

I felt the baby’s head being pulled out and I heard them suction her nose/mouth….then someone started pressing on top of my stomach and THAT HURT SO MUCH it felt like my stomach where they cut is going to just spit open and I screamed some more………..and then I felt her pop out of me and start crying. I started saying ’I want to see my baby’ over and over. But they took her away to the corner to check her over. My husband didn’t even get to cut the cord. I think I passed out for a few moments after that.
Next thing I know, my husband is holding this screaming bundle next to my face and he is crying and then I start crying and I touched her face and she just got quiet and calm, which of course made me cry even more.

Anesthesiologist was just putting meds into my IV as fast as she could at this point (I don’t think ive ever seen anyone’s hands move so fast before) and I fell asleep while they glued my incision. I woke up 20 mins later after Amelia‘s birth, which was at 1:52 pm (there was a clock on the wall right in my line of sight) in recovery room, asking to see my husband, and I startled the nurse who in response said ‘why are you awake already’. lol So turns out, anesthesia and morphine don’t work too well on me

The csection was a very painful experience, and my husband says I nearly crushed his hand (I don’t even remember holding his hand, but he said blanket that I was gripping fell on the floor from me thrashing around and he held my hand) but Amelia is healthy and scored a 9! Apparently there was a lot of ‘kinks’ in her umbilical cord.

Amelia was born at 1:52 pm on April 21th. She was 8lb 4oz and 21 1/4 inches

May 7th, 2011, 06:38 PM
WillfulGirl's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Wow, that is one intense birth story. You are one tough mama to make it through that, I would have begged to be knocked out! Congrats, she's beautiful!!

May 29th, 2011, 08:20 PM
Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by WillfulGirl View Post
Wow, that is one intense birth story. You are one tough mama to make it through that, I would have begged to be knocked out! Congrats, she's beautiful!!
You know, for some reason, that didnt even occur to me at the time lol

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search