Log In Sign Up

Blake's C-Section Birth Story

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2011 Birth Stories LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 21st, 2011, 05:15 AM
Lovinglifewithtwo's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 2,553
On the 4th, we had an ultrasound and it went awesome, I had an amazing tech who I had before and once again everything looked perfect, she said he looks way too comfy in there and once again confirmed his weight at approx 9 1/2 lbs. So we went to see my ob/gyn and he looked over everything and my blood pressure was taken and came in quite high once again. He said he would not be comfortable with waiting more then another day to do the section because my blood pressure is not getting any better but also he mentioned that in 2 weeks since my last ultrasound, Blake appeared not to have grown. Because of his large size, it meant that my pregnancy was obviously over as Blake seemed to have finished cooking, essentially, not that my placenta wasn't working anymore or anything.

Matt and I asked him what we should do. I REALLY wanted my ob/gyn to deliver my last baby as he did not deliver Devyn but has been my doctor both times. That day though, the doctor on call was another on the team, one I only met once before who didn't leave the best impression. We asked if we should wait for him for the next day or go in that day and see what Dr Bashara (the one on call) would do. He said he would try to go in that day to see what would happen although I was pissed off that he once again, he might not be the one to deliver our son. We just didn't want to go the next day and chance him not doing it again because they are too busy, so going in that day would up my chances of having it done and my ob/gyn said he really would like the c-section to be done that day or the next, no later. He told me the chances are pretty high he would think for my section to be done that night because Dr Bashara wouldn't like my blood pressure nor the fact that has not grown in 2 weeks. I had my ultrasound write up in hand and so off we went to the hospital. We decided that this time instead of paying for parking yet again and being turned away, Matt would drop me off then go home and pack the rest of our hospital bag. Blake's bag was set to go but ours needed a few more things but thankfully I had made a list and left it near in case something like this would happen.

I was dropped off, went to the birth unit and signed in. I sat in the waiting room for over an hour because they were super busy, just like expected, I talked to a few people and was getting really frustrated because I was starving hungry but because of the chance of a maybe c-section, I knew I shouldn't eat. I did cave though, and found a Nutrigrain bar in my purse and could not help but eat it. Finally I was called in and put on the bed yet again to check all my stuff. They took my blood yet again, took my blood pressure like 100 times, all the good stuff, and of course monitored Blake. I made friends with the nurse and we talked and I kept asking her my chances of having a c-section that night, and what she thinks Dr Bashara would do, and she said he's the sort of doctor that is hard to read and that they are super busy there but we would see. At that point I just wanted my c-section done that night, my doctor or not. I was sick of waiting and worrying about my blood pressure, whether or not it's going to effect me or Blake, it's exhausting!!

Anyways, my blood pressure was staying quite high, and finally Dr Bashara came in to talk to me. He seemed completely not worried about the fact that Blake had not grown in 2 weeks even though I kept saying what my doctor told me to say. Dr Bashara coldly said "the baby is huge, how much bigger do you want him to get?!" And I was definitely taken aback. I told him that I was told I was either going to have my c-section that day or the next day and then he says something like "If Dr Ferrell wants to come in during the night and do it, that's his perogative, but I don't see any reason to get this baby out." So I was almost in tears. How could 2 doctors on the same team be so different, and why was my doctor worrying me?! Anyways, then Dr Bashara saw my blood pressure and changed his tune, but only slightly. He said I am obviously anxious (even though he KNEW from all my paperwork and could see ALL the times I have been at the hospital for blood pressure issues) and that we will wait 20 minutes (like THAT will calm me down) and then take it again. So I lay there, called Matt and told him to come (we live 25 mins away) and get me because obviously once again, nothing is going to happen that day. So I lay there for another 20 minutes, and they took it again, and it was 156/98 I believe which is high, but it's been higher many times, surprisingly.

So then the nurse comes back after telling him and sais we need to do blood work and urine again. I was livid, once again being poked and prodded for nothing since the day before it was just taken and everything was fine. I just had an ultrasound that day showing everything was fine, and I just wanted to go home.

I also knew Matt was coming and he left me with his Iphone so there was no way I could get a hold of him to tell him that I have to stay longer and now he had to pay for parking and come in. So they did that and I had told Matt to wait outside for me so he was taking forever so I figured he was waiting outside wondering where I was and I couldn't leave to tell him to come in. Finally he comes in, and I tell him what is going on. He comes into the room and then Dr Bashara comes back to talk. I was happy Matt was there because he immediately took over talking since I was pissed off and was obviously not getting through to him. Dr Bashara had come with a changed tune though, saying my urine has a small amt of protein in it and my blood pressure is just too high for him to be comfortable.. His comfort level was obviously much lower then my doctor's since the last blood pressure reading, although high, was not the highest I have seen it this pregnancy. So he basically said, we are doing the section tonight at 9pm. I was in shock and thought forsure we were going to be sent home yet again. Because I had ate the Nutrigrain bar it had to wait until then, which sucked because at that point it was only about 6pm.

So this was the day Blake was going to be born and Matt had to run out as Dev was spending the night with my mother in law at Matt's grandparents place and he wanted to bring her the Iphone because she loves to play games on it. So he got me some magazines and left for a bit. I lay there in shock, thinking that something was definitely going to come up to prevent me from getting my c-section. They started me on IV to pump me full of fluids before the surgery and a dose of antibiotics which they do now (they didn't do that when Devyn was born.) I kept hearing people talking about the "9 o'clock section" out in the hallway and felt excited/nervous. I met my nurse who was going to be with me in the OR and she asked me a bunch of questions. She reminded me of the nurse I had with Devyn.

By about 8pm, Matt came back and we waited to be called in. Dr Bashara came in and asked how I was feeling about everything, which scored him some points. The nurse came back soon and we all did the walk down to the OR/recovery room. I sat waiting to be called in with Matt who was given the blue scrubs to change into and I took off my anniversary ring and tongue ring and put it in Matt's pocket. After who knows how long, my nurse came to get me while Matt waited in the recovery room to be called in. I marched into the cold OR and sat on the table waiting for the anesthesiologist. Dr Bashara got suited up and I asked if he could verify if he was a boy when he took him out and he said he would. I was shivering from the nerves and could not believe I was about to have surgery and meet our son. One of the nurses in there I knew from one of my NSTs and I could not stand her so it sucked she was there and she kept complaining how busy they were and there was all these woman in labour who needed things, and I felt like telling her to shut up, this was my time. The anesthesiologist was nowhere to be found and they kept calling him and Dr Bashara had said his car was still parked outside so he obviously didn't leave. I kind of started to freak out though wondering if they would cancel my c-section even though we got this far. Finally he called back saying he was coming and he came in saying Dr Bashara had told him to do something else and there was confusion, who knows. In the meantime, the pediatrician came over and introduced herself and said she was the one who was going to check Blake right after his birth. She also asked me questions about Devyn which helped distract me and that was amazing. Finally, the anesthesiologist arrived and introduced himself, asking who my anesthesiologist was when I had Devyn. After some small talk came the lovely part for me to bend over and hug a pillow. He said I am going to feel a big pinch which I did and it was just as awful as I remembered, and then comes the pressure /heat in the lower back. Lovely.

I was laid down and my legs were spread open (bye bye dignity) while they did the catheter. My legs and feet were feeling all warm and tingly and then everything was set up including the signature blue curtain draped in front of my face. The anesthesiologist was talking to me then all of a sudden his voice got louder and he was like "so how are you feeling?!" and it threw me off. He then laughed and said that Dr Bashara had just tested a spot so he was just making sure I didn't feel it, which I hadn't thankfully. I then made the mistake of asking him if there were times where woman actually did feel pain or the spinal didn't work like it should, and he said he can't lie and yes it has.

Before long Matt was called in and sat down and I made small talk with him and tried to relax. I kept asking him to look over and tell me what is going on, but he kept his eyes on me and wouldn't look. There was some light talking going on and then all of a sudden things got a bit more uncomfortable. I felt a lot of tugging and pressure and I thought it was going to stop but it got worse and worse. Next thing I know my body is literally being mushed and pulled and the pressure was unbearable and I started gasping for air. Despite the spinal numbing me from the boobs down, my ribs were literally being crushed and I could feel everything. Dr Bashara and another doctor were saying things under their masks and breathing heavy and I started to freak out while the anesthesiologist told me to calm down. I heard Dr Bashara say "gahh he's so big: a few times and Matt said it literally looked like an earthquake with how much the bed and my body was shaking around. Blood even spurted out everywhere and I know there was a moment when he and I definitely thought something was wrong. I think at that point my body went into some sort of shock reaction because it was so painful and frightening.

Finally though, at 9:50pm, Blake Harvey was born, Dr Bashara coming around with him in his hands saying how huge and healthy he looked. Despite my internal bruising and Blake having bruised legs, everything was perfectly fine, and being 10lbs 7oz, 22 inches long, he wasn't exactly easy to take out. Dr Bashara said he would have been over 11lbs if I went to 40 weeks. I now saw the reason why I could barely walk and why I was SO SO sore. The pediatrician handed him to Matt, told me his apgar scores were 7 and 9, and Matt and I stared in disbelief at our son, the completion of our family!

Reply With Quote
May 21st, 2011, 11:26 AM
Mommy to girls
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: South Carolina
Posts: 2,014
Great story! I'm sure you are glad they got him out when they did!
Kim- Mommy to 5 girls
Reply With Quote
May 21st, 2011, 01:39 PM
ChicaChels's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: I'm a husker girl :)
Posts: 16,336
i have been looking forward to reading this! great story

Maverick Jude
December 9, 2013
5:20PM 8lb3oz 20.5"
Hospital water birth
Reply With Quote
May 21st, 2011, 05:08 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 9,490
Thanks for writing your story. What a crazy day....I can't imagine the scare of being tugged and shaken around like that....so glad it was ONLY cause he was big I'll bet that doctor was kind of eating his foot for saying "I see no reason to take him out now" after he did the section....
Momma to Emma, Elzie, Gretchen, Olive, and Rogan

We aren't to give a baby milk, berries, or peanut butter. We are to introduce new foods one at a time. But it's OK to inject several viruses, bacteria, aluminum, formaldehyde, phenoxyethanol, animal serum, mercury, squalene and more into an 8 week old? I don't think so.
In order to be healthy it is an unfortunate fact that people must be allowed the opportunity to be ill. I trust my body and those of my children to work correctly against the relatively benign diseases they vax for, and do not trust the ingredients in the vaccinations.
Our choice to not vax isn't based in ignorance, poverty, conspiracy theory and rumor. It's research, common sense, fact and evidence based..something the medical community has largely forgot about.
Reply With Quote
May 21st, 2011, 05:29 PM
SuperMommy to 5
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Southern California
Posts: 923
Great story. TFS!!
Me (32) + DH (32) = DD (10), DS (8), DS (6), DD (4) & Tiebreaker... Baby Boy born May 23, 2011 @ 8:03am weight 7lbs 5ozs height 18.5"

Reply With Quote
May 21st, 2011, 08:27 PM
Pinkee~'s Avatar All girl momma!
Join Date: May 2009
Location: UT
Posts: 9,118

Reply With Quote
May 22nd, 2011, 09:44 PM
3TeamH's Avatar Hayley
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 6,509
He is just the cutest!!! I'm sorry your doctor didn't deliver again, but I'm glad things worked out in the end.

Reply With Quote
May 23rd, 2011, 04:33 AM
Lovinglifewithtwo's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 2,553
Wow ladies!!! Thanks so much for reading. Y'all deserve a medal!

Reply With Quote
May 23rd, 2011, 12:11 PM
Beth04's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Deland, FL
Posts: 4,056
Great story, TFS!

thank you gypsystar for my wonderful siggy!
Reply With Quote

may 11 bumblebee births

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 06:32 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0