Kai's Natural Birth (Epic)

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2011 Birth Stories LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 21st, 2011, 01:44 PM
Mommy
Send a message via Yahoo to Hex
The Birth of Kai Dante

---------------------------

On my last appointment on Monday May 16th, my midwife asked if I was having any signs that labor was near. I said I didn't really know, honestly so she checked for dilation. I had been at 3 my last 2 appointments and now was at 5 cm and really thin. She was pretty shocked and expressed concern that I may not be able to get to the hospital in time if labor were to start spontaneously. She suggested that I come in Tuesday May 17th to the hospital and she would break my water. We set the date for it. I was to come in at about 6AM and go to registration and get all set up and get a room and then she would come in at 8 and break my water. She said she was confident we'd have the baby before lunchtime.

I honestly was not expecting the appointment to go anything like that, but I did decide to walk to my appointment (about 2 miles) to hopefully hurry things along and on the way there I said I was hoping to be dilated to 7 . It was good enough for me, though.
Afterward, SO and I went to pick things up at the mall and I realized I was having some mild cramps, maybe contractions so I decided to just sit with my son and sip a limeade and relax while he got what we needed. I timed the cramps and was getting them pretty irregularly. They would be 5 mins apart and then 20 mins apart or even 1 or 2 hours later. So I called my family and got someone to come pick up my son Tuesday morning and watch him for a couple of days while I was in the hospital. Then I thought it would be a good idea to get some sleep. I finally got to sleep around 11:30 and then woke up at midnight to pee and was up then every hour or so to pee and worry throughout the night. I woke up exhausted lol.

The next morning, we got up and got our bags out to the car, picked up breakfast from Burger King, and made our way to the hospital.

I got into registration and the lady that registered me was really a bitter old thing. It seemed like she was just completely annoyed and/or offended at just about everything. I came in pretty optimistic and positive and she instantly popped my bubble lol. But things improved after that. We went up the elevator and I got admitted to my room and got the fetal and contraction monitors strapped around me and kind of just chilled there for a while and talked with SO and my mom and waited for my midwife to come in.

At 8 AM, she came in and broke my water and shortly after I was allowed to get up and walk around. I started feeling some contractions after that and walked around the floor a little bit with SO. I had to pause for contractions here and there and they were super painful, but I would make my way back to my bed and sit or lie down and get comfortable. It just felt better to be moving around changing positions.
After a while, a nurse came in and wanted to monitor my contractions and the fetal heartbeat again. The contractions started getting more and more painful. Once she was done monitoring for a few minutes I asked how much longer it would be. She said she didn't know and offered to check me. I was at a 9 already! She called my midwife and she ran over (literally -her office is across the parking lot and I could see her running from my window. It was funny. ).

Almost as soon as she got into my room she got her supplies and cleared out the room, and converted the bed. She attached the squatting bar to the bed and I sat/squatted at the edge and waited for a contraction. She kneeled down and said "Just let me know when you feel the urge to push." And I said "I don't know if I feel it or not."
She checked after a contraction and said that I was fully dilated and the baby was low and I was ready to push. I waited for a couple more contractions and tried to push a little but wasn't feeling it intensely yet. Finally the urge hit. I grabbed the bar and pulled myself up and really pushed. There were a couple of minutes between contractions so while we were waiting for the next one I said "I feel like I'm being kinda boring. Everyone is looking at me waiting and I'm just sitting here." SO said "Yeah we're waiting for a show. Come on!" lol.
I had another contraction and pushed again. I got lots of encouragement that the baby was coming and that he would be out in just another push.
The next push I actually leaned back a bit in a squatting sort of position and my midwife said he was turning, everything was good and I kept pushing ( I guess this was the point where I made a "really primal grunting sound" according to SO lol.) I got his head out with that push and then she had me lay back and give one more good push to deliver his body. After he was delivered, I sat up and looked down at him lying in front of me crying. He was slightly purplish and it was a pretty intense moment seeing him for the first time. I looked over at SO and he was all teary . I'm pretty sure I heard him say "You gave me a son! Thank you." It was a pretty precious moment. This was SO's first baby and he had been pretty nervous about it all.
They clamped the cord and asked SO if he wanted to cut it. He accepted and it was so cute to see him shaking a little, fumbling with the scissors trying to maintain professionalism through his tears of joy.
They took baby over for a minute or so to suction him and check his APGAR score and then bundled him and handed him to me. I lay back and nursed him and the placenta was delivered during this point.
Shortly after, family started coming in and SO held the baby.
People kept asking how big he was and we told them we didn't know. They hadn't weighed him yet. They didn't weigh him for a couple hours after he was born. It was mostly me holding him and nursing him and then being introduced to family before they weighed and measured him and all that. It was a pretty good experience.

So that's the labor and delivery story. I know there are millions of tiny details I'm leaving out, but they're not important. This is still a pretty detailed account of the birth.
But here are a few more details that I couldn't really fit into the story because either I don't know where to put them or I don't remember when exactly they actually occurred. But I do think they were funny, interesting, or important in their own way:

-The entire birth was unmedicated.
-I had no tears requiring stitches and no episiotomy.
-During the birth, there was a student midwife present. My midwife at one point which I believe was when I was initiating small talk between contractions - mentioned to her that this was *not* a normal reaction during this phase of childbirth.
-After delivery, multiple nurses told me that I made it look really easy. lol
-No matter how easy I made it look or how relatively painless it might have been for me, I'm NOT prepared to do it again anytime soon (if ever). It was still an intense amount of pain that I do not wish to experience again.
-Afterward when I was having some afterpains that were bothering me, one of the nurses asked me to rate the pain using their smiley face number scale. I looked at it a bit and said "about a 3 because I'm not smiling about it, but I'm not straight-mouthed like that one either." Another nurse-that witnessed the birth- leaned over and said "but she has a really high pain tolerance." I still got Motrin for it though. lol.

--------
Reflecting:

Altogether this was a completely different experience than I had with the birth of my first son. It's kind of ridiculous. I was induced using pitocin with him at 39 weeks because my OB thought it would be easier to be able to schedule around it that way. I was flat on my back for the entire labor and delivery - which wasn't really that long, either. Maybe 6 hours. I had very little positive encouragement and found it almost impossible to push while lying on my back. I pushed for 20 minutes until finally the doctor gave me an episiotomy and used a vacuum to birth him. I got to hold Kai almost instantly. My first son, Sebastian, it was 3 hours before I was allowed in the room with him to hold him. Looking back at his birth, I was traumatized at the lack of control and the horror of the birth in general. I would cry thinking about it.
This time around, my midwife came into my room to check me after the birth and she told me "Women like you really inspire me. You believed in yourself and trusted the power of your own body."
I made sure to let her know that she had inspired me to be that person. After having had a delivery with an OB and with a midwife, I would 100% never use and OB for another birth unless medically necessary and I recommend to everyone that they choose a midwife over an OB. The difference is intense. Having an OB (and it very well may have just been my doctor was kind of a fail and that there are a lot of really great OBs out there) just in general felt like everything was medical and all of my instincts were suppressed. I had no control and my body was not allowed to work the way it was intended. It was as if my pregnancy and my child were a disease that needed medical treatment instead of a natural part of being a mammal.
Whereas having a midwife, all of my instincts were encouraged. The entire childbirth process was embraced as being beautiful and completely natural.
I really feel like I was able to unlock my own potential this time around.
It was amazing.

May 21st, 2011, 02:16 PM
Mommy to girls
What an AMAZING birth story! I am so glad you shared this!! Congrats on your little guy.
May 21st, 2011, 02:29 PM
ChicaChels's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
awesome

this just goes to show that finding the right provider can enhance your experience so much!!

Maverick Jude
December 9, 2013
5:20PM 8lb3oz 20.5"
Hospital water birth
May 21st, 2011, 05:52 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Awesome story! Thanks for sharing.....I had a great OB I thought until I used a midwife with my fourth (and now my fifth) babies....and wow...Like you I'd never go back.....

We aren't to give a baby milk, berries, or peanut butter. We are to introduce new foods one at a time. But it's OK to inject several viruses, bacteria, aluminum, formaldehyde, phenoxyethanol, animal serum, mercury, squalene and more into an 8 week old? I don't think so.
In order to be healthy it is an unfortunate fact that people must be allowed the opportunity to be ill. I trust my body and those of my children to work correctly against the relatively benign diseases they vax for, and do not trust the ingredients in the vaccinations.
Our choice to not vax isn't based in ignorance, poverty, conspiracy theory and rumor. It's research, common sense, fact and evidence based..something the medical community has largely forgot about.
May 21st, 2011, 09:35 PM
Pinkee~'s Avatar All girl momma!
Beautiful birth! Congrats on getting everytthing you wanted and more!!

May 31st, 2011, 05:16 PM
gypsystar's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Awesome birth story! So glad you had such a positive experience!

Forever Missing Katriel Star (17 weeks) and Sebastian Judah (14 weeks)

Tags
may 11 bumblebee births

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search