Vincent Robert's Birth Story!

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2011 Birth Stories LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 27th, 2011, 01:08 PM
Platinum Supermommy
The birth of Vincent Robert Zepeda: May 24th, 2011 at 7:49 am.

On Monday, May 23rd, I had my 38 or 39 week appointment, depending on which due date you go off of. It was a fairly routine appointment, they checked Vincent's heartbeat, my fundal height and checked my cervix. I was 3-4 cm's dilated, which was the same as at 37 weeks, so it wasn't surprising. Since they couldn't do anything to help labor along until at least 39 weeks, the doctor had me make an appointment for Friday to have my membranes stripped if I hadn't had the baby at that point.

I was feeling done at that point. I was so ready to meet my baby and decided I would just walk this little guy out. I came home from my appointment and waited for Tavo to get home, then we went to the grocery store to get a few little things for the week and went for a walk to my parents house and back, which totals about 3 miles. When we made it to my parents house, I was having some contractions but nothing that got me excited, since I had been through that song and dance many, many times before. We stayed there for a little bit and then headed home so we could eat dinner. I made some spaghetti and bread and we all ate dinner around 7 PM and I was still having some slight contractions at that point. After dinner, I took my nightly bath to just relax a little and then I felt the need to make sure my house was completely picked up, so I loaded the dishwasher, cleaned up all of the toys and got all of the beds made. We did our usual routine, gave Lorena her bath, laid on the couch to watch Wow Wow Wubbzy and then I read her her bedtime story and I headed off to bed myself. I laid there for a while hoping that the contractions would either pick up or go away so I could get some sleep, but they did neither, so I finally rolled over and shut my eyes at about 11:30 but I just had a feeling that it would be the night. I woke up every hour or so to go pee, hoping to feel something but didn't. Finally at 2:15, I woke up to pee, laid back in bed and started to feel a ton of painful pressure. I felt like I needed to poop so I got up to use the bathroom and as I was sitting on the toilet, I realized that the pressure was coming in strong waves and that it was probably "it". I tried to go to the bathroom but had a really hard time because of the pain and pressure. Once I was finished, I decided I had better shower and get ready, since my labor was likely to go fairly fast.

At 2:25 or so, I woke Tavo up and told him that I thought I might be in labor and that I would let him know for sure once I had showered. In the shower, the contractions started coming hard and fast and I knew for sure that would be my last shower as a pregnant woman. I did my best to get through the contractions by breathing but I couldn't find anyway to be comfortable. Breathing, leaning, squatting, sitting, nothing helped and it seemed like everything just made them worse. As soon as I got out of the shower, Tavo came in to ask how I was feeling and I told him that he had better call his mom to come stay with Lorena and that I would call my mom, as she would be going to the hospital with us. I went and put some make-up on, blew my hair dry and put it in a ponytail and made sure we had everything packed up. At this point, I couldn't even say how close the contractions were, I just know that they hurt and were getting increasingly more difficult to get through.

We left our house at about 3:30 or so and that car ride was the most difficult part of my entire labor. In the car, I started feeling some gushes and thought that my water may have broken but upon arrival at the hospital and during check in, I realized the gushes I had felt were blood. It freaked me out a bit but the nurses assured me it was just normal bloody show. We did our check-in in the ER and they sent somebody from L&D down to get us. We did the normal check in, take weight (166), height (5'6) and a urine sample, which was the point that I realized the gushes had been blood. They put us in our room, had me put my gown on and got me hooked up the monitors. I still don't know how often my contractions were coming, I just know they were often enough that I needed Tavo to answer most of the questions the nurse needed to ask, since I was too busy breathing through contractions. By the time we were in our room and on the monitors, it was about 4:30 am and the nurse finally checked me. I was 5-6 cm's. I was a little disappointed to hear that but I was thankful that I should have enough time to get the antibiotics, as I had tested positive for GBS.

Finally, the questions stopped and the nurse left the room. Right then must have been when I hit transition because I just could not get through the contractions effectively any longer and I told Tavo that I really would like to get an ITN (or walking epidural). He asked me if I was sure, made sure that I wouldn't regret my decision and then went and got the nurse. At this point, it was somewhere between 5:45 and 6:00 am when the anestesiologist (sp?) came in. The nurse had just checked me prior to that, and I was 7 1/2 cm's, so I figured I had about 3 hours to go, since with Lorena, I did about 1 cm an hour and pushed for about 30 minutes. I got the ITN and the doctor came in and checked me at about 6:20. I was 9 cm's, so in about a 30 minute time frame, I had gone from 7 1/2 to 9 cm. The doctor broke my water at the same time that he checked me and left the room for a bit. When he came back to check on me about 45 minutes later, my contractions had stopped almost completely and I was still 9 cm's. He decided to start some pitocin to get things moving again and within 30 minutes, I was feeling a lot more pressure. He came to check me again and I still hadn't progressed much and he needed to re-break my water. At that point, it just came gushing out. Somewhere around 7:40, the nurse checked me and said there was still a tiny bit of cervix left but to push against her fingers to see what would happen. As soon as I pushed, I heard and felt a ton more amniotic fluid come gushing out and she realized that she needed to get the doctor in there. I think I got myself through about 2 contractions while she was getting everything set up for delivery and the doctor was getting into his scrubs. As soon as another contraction began, he told me to push and I felt so much pressure as the baby was descending. It only took 2 or 3 more pushes until Vincents entire body was born. He came out completely tangled in his cord and as soon as they unraveled him, they placed him on my tummy so I could wipe him down. It was such a surreal feeling and I don't think I ever had a chance to comprehend what was happening, because he came so quickly. Once me and the nurse had wiped him down, Tavo cut his cord and the pediatric team put him on the warmer right next to the bed to check him out. I didn't even think to ask if he had a penis and didn't even check for one until he was several hours old but Tavo assured me that he was definitely a boy when I had realized I didn't ask.

The pediatric team checked him over and handed him back to me. I put him right against my chest and he immediately started searching for the breast. He latched on right away with no issues and has been an amazing nurser ever since.

Vincent Robert Zepeda joined our family at 7:49 am on May 24th, 2011. He weighed 7 lbs, 13 oz and was 20.5 inches long. He is absolutely adorable!

May 27th, 2011, 02:16 PM
Savages_Wifey's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to Savages_Wifey Send a message via MSN to Savages_Wifey Send a message via Yahoo to Savages_Wifey
aww what a great story!!! How great that you were able to make it all on your own to 9cm And that you made it so far through without anything!! Congrats on your bundle of joy

May 27th, 2011, 03:33 PM
itsmemaggi's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to itsmemaggi Send a message via MSN to itsmemaggi
Great birth story and congratulations again, Shelley! Vincent is a little doll; I love all his pictures on Facebook.

Thank you,
PinkCuppycakeSprinkles, for my beautiful siggy!!

May 27th, 2011, 03:51 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Sounds like a great birth! I am so happy its over for ya and you have your handsome lil man!

May 28th, 2011, 01:58 AM
Tree_Love's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Such a great story. Welcome to the world Vincent!

Elan Dakota 7/28/2012
Paxx Tarlow & Sage Finley 10/20/2012
Rhys Caelan 5/3/2013

May 28th, 2011, 11:22 AM
fancypants27's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Congrats again Shelley! Great story.

May 28th, 2011, 12:11 PM
no.absolutes's Avatar absolutelyNOT
So glad you have your little man in your arms!

May 28th, 2011, 04:40 PM
angelsailor288's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Great story!

Thank you jaidynsmum for my siggy!

May 28th, 2011, 07:57 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Thanks ladies. It was such an amazing experience and I hope I get the chance to do it again someday!

May 29th, 2011, 01:58 AM
LuvMyFurbabies's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via Yahoo to LuvMyFurbabies
Thank you for sharing!! What a great story. Welcome Vincent!!

*Mommy to Brendan with Two Angels Above*
~Momma to 8 Furbabies (4 cats & 4 dogs)~

June 4th, 2011, 12:59 PM
Formerly LyndaSLP
Congratulations on your baby boy Vincent! What a great birth story

***PLEASE DO NOT MENTION PREGNANCY ON FACEBOOK***
June 8th, 2011, 02:41 PM
ChicaChels's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
i loved reading your story, shelley!!

Maverick Jude
December 9, 2013
5:20PM 8lb3oz 20.5"
Hospital water birth
June 8th, 2011, 03:00 PM
Super Mommy
I finally read your story! Congratulations, even though I've already told you! He's adorable and can't wait to see more pics as he gets older!
June 10th, 2011, 09:48 PM
Showbiz's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Great story!

June 12th, 2011, 08:51 AM
Petuniababoon's Avatar Super Mommy
What a wonderful birth story! So happy for you, Shelley!

Sara

Make a pregnancy ticker

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search