Sophie Caitlin's Birth Story

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2011 Birth Stories LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 28th, 2011, 07:01 AM
gypsystar's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Sophie Caitlin
born at 8:13 am on May 13th
8lbs 5oz
21 inches long

Our birth was a scheduled c-section for May 13th. I had hoped all along I might go into labor before then but alas it was not to be. Funny enough I did begin having consistent and painful contractions between 2-4 minutes apart at 1:45 am the night before my c-section that continued all the way up until my c-section. I think Sophie wanted to be born on the 13th even if she wasn't scheduled to arrive that day!

I barely slept the night before and of course once my contractions began it was all over I couldn't sleep at all. We had to wake up at 3:00 am anyway because we were scheduled to arrive at the hospital at 5:30 am but we had to take our boys over to my Aunt's house first and it was unfortunately 20 minutes in the opposite direction. We had thankfully pre-packed the minivan with most of what would be going to the hospital with us so we just had to wake the kids up and get them ready and put a few last minute things in the van. It was so hard leaving the boys but I knew they were in great hands with my aunt.

We arrived at the hospital at 5:30 am on the dot. We even beat the receptionist people there LOL! We were taken up to L&D where our room was already waiting for us. I got changed into my hospital gown and got hooked up the monitors. They needed to get a quick NST on the baby to make sure all was well. Miss Sophie proved to be as stubborn as ever and kept moving away from the fetal heart tones monitor. At one point, the nurse asked me if I knew I was having contractions like every 2 minutes LOL. I was "umm, yeah they don't feel all that great !"

She asked us a bunch of questions, prepped the surgical area with this hibiclens stuff, and got my IV started - thankfully on the first try! She brought in the stuff they make you drink to ensure you don't throw up on the operating table. Talk about nasty! Definitely one of my least favorite parts of getting a c-section. It's like super sour SALTY grape juice, ugh!

Before I knew it, it was time to go over to the operating room. For the first time ever I walked to the OR! Amazingly enough with all 3 previous c-sections I was wheeled into the OR on a gurney so I was surprised when they asked me if I wanted to walk over this time. It wasn't a far walk, just across the hall!

I hopped up on the operating table and prepared myself for the spinal block. This was my 4th time getting a spinal block so I wasn't nervous. All my previous experiences told me it would be a quick sting and moments later I'd start to feel myself going numb. I was in for a surprise this time! I received the customary quick sting to numb the area they would insert the needle into but for some reason they were having trouble getting it in place. I would like to blame it on the fact the anesthesiologist was trying to show the resident? or maybe it was an intern? how to do it so he let him try first but after he was unable to get it in place the actual anesthesiologist began to try and also had trouble getting it in. I was not amused . At one point, I broke down crying not because it hurt but because I was frustrated. I mean, it wasn't comfortable but it wasn't painful. I'm actually a bit traumatized by it still. I'm so glad I'll never have to go through that again and I'm so glad my 3 previous experiences where much better than this one.

Finally he got it in and I started to go numb. They got me laid down on the table and began prepping for the c-section. Once they put the sheet up they let Tim come in and sit next to me. It seemed like moments later they were getting started! I was so nervous and excited I could hardly stand it. It wasn't very long until our baby girl was born.

Hearing her little cry for the first time was the most amazing sound. It gets me every time. I instantly teared up. I was so thrilled and relieved when I heard Dr. Battaglia say "it's a girl!" after 3 boys even with 5 ultrasounds telling it's a girl I still had doubts. Just before Dr. Battaglia had announced she was indeed a girl the anesthesiologist had peered over the curtain just as they were pulling her out and had said "he's already pooping" and then he was like, "oops, I mean she!" I think my heart stopped for a second LOL. Thankfully she's all girl !

They whisked her to the warmer and got her all cleaned up and brought over to me. I knew I loved her before I met her but seeing her for the first time was more amazing than I can ever articulate. She and Tim left the room to go get her checked out by the pediatrician while my OB got me all fixed up. It seemed to go pretty quick thankfully b/c I was definitely anxious to get back to her.

They took me to the recovery room and brought her to me to nurse for the first time. It went better than I could have hoped despite the fact I was still laying nearly flat, she was determined little miss!

I was so surprised by her having blonde hair, though it kind of has a reddish tint to it. I was totally expecting her to have dark hair! I had been having doubts about naming her Arabella but this had definitely thrown me for a loop. AFter they took us back to my room and took her for her first bath I was able to get a really good look at her. I decided to name her Sophie Caitlin. I still love the name Arabella and if I somehow ever have another girl I'd likely name her Arabella but my little Sprout was definitely supposed to be named Sophie !

Forever Missing Katriel Star (17 weeks) and Sebastian Judah (14 weeks)

May 28th, 2011, 09:08 AM
ChicaChels's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
i loved reading your story! i would be upset with the anesthesiologist! Did they ask you if you were okay with a resident practicing on you?

Sophie is absolutely beautiful though im so glad you got your little princess!!

Maverick Jude
December 9, 2013
5:20PM 8lb3oz 20.5"
Hospital water birth
May 30th, 2011, 03:31 AM
Platinum Supermommy
awww...BEAUTIFUL!!!!!! Thansk for sharing! HUGS and Congrats again

We aren't to give a baby milk, berries, or peanut butter. We are to introduce new foods one at a time. But it's OK to inject several viruses, bacteria, aluminum, formaldehyde, phenoxyethanol, animal serum, mercury, squalene and more into an 8 week old? I don't think so.
In order to be healthy it is an unfortunate fact that people must be allowed the opportunity to be ill. I trust my body and those of my children to work correctly against the relatively benign diseases they vax for, and do not trust the ingredients in the vaccinations.
Our choice to not vax isn't based in ignorance, poverty, conspiracy theory and rumor. It's research, common sense, fact and evidence based..something the medical community has largely forgot about.
May 31st, 2011, 01:21 PM
Pinkee~'s Avatar All girl momma!
Beautiful story! Love the name and congrats on getting your little princess!

May 31st, 2011, 02:58 PM
Beth04's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Great story, congrats! She's so precious!

thank you gypsystar for my wonderful siggy!

Tags
may 11 bumblebee births

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search